Why are shastar kept in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

shaheediyan

From Tapoban:

Shastar in front of SGGSJ

Author: nitn3m

Date: 05-15-07 05:06

Why do we place Shastars in front of SGGSJ?

Reply To This Message

Re: Shastar in front of SGGSJ

Author: Khalsaspirit

Date: 05-15-07 09:16

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

So that they can be easily available to those Sikhs who needs to attack other Sikhs in Gurudwara Sahib.

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Well Shastar is another form of Guru. We lower our heads at the Guru's feet, the Shastarah are usually arranged in a way to make it look like a lotus flower.

The way nitn3m has made it out is that if a Sikh "acts wrongly" then shastar is there for taking out that other Sikh?! I dont know?

Well Shastar is another form of Guru. We lower our heads at the Guru's feet, the Shastarah are usually arranged in a way to make it look like a lotus flower.

The way nitn3m has made it out is that if a Sikh "acts wrongly" then shastar is there for taking out that other Sikh?! I dont know?

It was a joke! :roll:

This forum is funny, when you post something serious, the jokes don't stop, try and post something humorous and people turn serious!

As we are on a serious vibe, I like veer Kam's answer, but I think more practically, the shastar probably represent the armoury of the Gur-ghar, for the defence of the Guru Ji, sangat and Gurdwara.

I thought the original response was pretty funny (ironically)!

• 16 years later...

Shastar belongs to Miri (social aspects) aspects of Sikhi.

Piri means the spiritual aspects, the reason behind the origin of Sikhi (to realign people with correct spiritual path), Miri comes later, which aims to build a society where piri can fluorish and the knowledge can be transferred from generations to generations without any interference/oppression from rulers or powerful persons or groups.

Piri is supreme and Miri is supporting piri. 

So when the shastars (weapons) are kept in front of the Guru Granth Sahib, it symbolises submitting/surrendering ourselves, our powers and our insecurities to Piri when it comes to spiritual aspects. We sit in sangat without having to bother what is happening elsewhere.

Shastars are not kept as a means of readiness to fight, because there are no insecurities in sangat, the security of sangat is taken care by fellow Sikhs  who stay outside on duty and carry shastars with them.

• 3 weeks later...

"Guru granth jee maaneyo pragat gura ki deh"

Guru granth sahib jee, as per hukam of dasve patshah should be regarded as the pragat saroop of the ten gurus. Thus parshaada bhog, kamarkasa karna, prakash is done in v shape saroop which is how one sits cross-legged. Therefore, as per maryada, since dasve patshaah used to adorn shastars and was shastardhaari, there should;d atleast be one shastar with saroop and if there is only one shastar, it has to be a kirpaan. This is the answer I got when I asked some behengems at nanaksar the question.

Bhul Chuk Maaf jee

Sat Kartar.