Quote of Professor Puran Singh

I've heard a lot of good things about "spirit Born People" b Prof. Puran Singh, so I decided to pick it up today and have a look. One quote I found fascinating was:

"Beware of the magic of brahmanical philosophic analysis of everything, even the most secret and complex infinites of faith, life and love. It killed them, it shall kill you. Analysis is the opposite pole of feeling. I worship my mother, I love my wife, but what would they be if I wished to know them by analysis !"

Anyone want to share their thoughts on this quote?

2 friends were sitting underneath a tree when all of a sudden a Snake fell upon them both. While one friend quickly got up and out of fear that the snake might bite, the other remained in the same position pondering why the snake fell? How did it climb up the tree? What was it doing there? Did someone intentionally put the snake on the tree? It was only a matter of time that the snake bit the other friend and he died!

2 friends were sitting underneath a tree when all of a sudden a Snake fell upon them both. While one friend quickly got up and out of fear that the snake might bite, the other remained in the same position pondering why the snake fell? How did it climb up the tree? What was it doing there? Did someone intentionally put the snake on the tree? It was only a matter of time that the snake bit the other friend and he died!

dude i bow to your wisdom and analogies :D

Nice analogy, and sorry to be pedantic, but my amateur zoological interests leads me to believe the snake would not have attacked the contemplative (analytical) bloke, but rather the one who made the sudden movements. Snakes value their venom, as when used, it takes time to replace it, which means a longer time without food. A snake would attack if provoked i.e. threatening movement.

Also, going back to Puran Singh Ji's quote, this clearly shows I am more of the Brahmanical persona rather than the "emotional" opposite.

Does Gurbani not deem to analyse or explain the "truth" behind lifes concepts i.e. the cause of our pain, the purpose of maya, "true" love, recognising good and bad qualities in people, being able to identify Brahmgyani's etc...

I think Puran Singh Ji's statement is a little extreme, the ideal lies somewhere in the middle, we need enough analysis to understand and serve our spiritual purpose, or even the "right" type of analysis - i.e. that which will lead us closer to Vaheguru's charan, rather than ego feeding analysis....

If I am correct, which I'm usually not unless I'm making meaningless posts in which case no rationale except my own can be used as a litmus test.....I believe that interpreting what he said through 'polar' glasses is the issue. The professor is very thorough and he pretty much shares failings he sees in absolute approaches. At one point later in the text he cuts down the 'universalism' fad by praising the siddhs of old who are ascetics...

he liked geisha's and I like him...ps. I dont' believe the wine was ever bad, but the drinker...who is not a thinker, but likes to tinker with the whores

Nice analogy, and sorry to be pedantic, but my amateur zoological interests leads me to believe the snake would not have attacked the contemplative (analytical) bloke, but rather the one who made the sudden movements. Snakes value their venom, as when used, it takes time to replace it, which means a longer time without food. A snake would attack if provoked i.e. threatening movement.

Also, going back to Puran Singh Ji's quote, this clearly shows I am more of the Brahmanical persona rather than the "emotional" opposite.

Does Gurbani not deem to analyse or explain the "truth" behind lifes concepts i.e. the cause of our pain, the purpose of maya, "true" love, recognising good and bad qualities in people, being able to identify Brahmgyani's etc...

I think Puran Singh Ji's statement is a little extreme, the ideal lies somewhere in the middle, we need enough analysis to understand and serve our spiritual purpose, or even the "right" type of analysis - i.e. that which will lead us closer to Vaheguru's charan, rather than ego feeding analysis....

I forgive you for ruining my analogy by analyzing too much into it. :P

but perhaps it is extreme because the references are made to the extremes of analysis. The thought and mind are continually used to analyze a certain experience when that experience was not of the mind, but it was the lack of mind. How can the mind conceptualize it? Like the experience of Love in the example give. To force the mind to create some sense of the experience would mean certain death to the experience itself.

Is this book available in .pdf??

That is true Pheena Ji.

But I believe that the "true" experience is no danger as long as we analyse with an open heart.

It is the analysis (failed search) that ultimately leads one to the door of the truth. This happens in matters of "God", as our minute mind and intellect fails to explain the unexplainable, but we need to stay openminded and not allow ourselves to create a bubble.

That in it self is an achievement. Getting through the door is another matter!

It is then this failure of a scientific explanation, that leads one to search for, thirst for and live for the unknown. In finding, understanding and realising the Guru's words, our submission is given, and his kirpa attained - one may then "experience" that which is out of mind - and know, it cannot be explained.

I hope the above is somewhat comprehensible?

This book is full of great quotes...

"...And others issue other kind of mad dictates, numerous foolish do's and dont's. One considers a particular diet religious and other irreligious. A Babel is created. Confusion worse confounded. Man dies like a drunkard, a hopeless fanatic without attaining any inner merit, all his life believing that he was over-religious."