Matha Tehk. Wots da "real" reason 4 it?

I was asked by a Indian Christian da other day "If Sikhs don't believe in Idol Worship den y do we bow down 2 da Guru Granth Sahib?". Is der ne real reason y we Matha Tehk?

I believe dat we shud only bow 2 God. But wot is dat real reason y we bow down 2 Guru Granth Sahib? Is it cos of respect? I wanna , so dat i can tell my non-Sikhs, and even Sikhs dat don't enought bout Sikhism bout Matha Tehking?

Because sggs is words of wisdom that will help us to gain salvation. Its a living guroo. Whatever is written in sggs is directly from guroo sahiban's. I would say just to bow infront of it, that doesnt make us idol-worshippers. We do it because to respect the guroo sahiban. There is fine line difference between two.

"Guru hai Bani... Bani hai Guru"

The Guru is the Word... the Word is the Guru.

If u ask me this is common sense. :) ... the "book" holds the SACRED word of the Guru's.... the words in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji were actually said by our Guru's...!!!!! :D

When u see Guru Granth Sahib JI... really u r seeing Guru Nanak Dev Ji sittin there...! HUGGING U CUZ U HAVE COME HOME....!!!!!!!!!

(any1 listen to sweet sikhi - panjab radio - sunday aprx 6.00 ish)

There spirit is there infront of u..... 8) :D 8) :D

:twisted:

For many it is just a ritualistic action we all do when entering darbar. From a small age we all learn to put the money in the box and touch the head on the floor, thats the majority of cases. Next time you are at the gurdvara just watch as people bow down.

But this doesnt mean all people bow because they have become acustom to it. It is a very personal experience one which only the Guru and Disciple know about. For some its the whole maan, taan, and moorakh idea, others its a show of respect as gurus bani is holy.

Also one must keep in mind that when entering Maharajs Darbar, they are entering the throne room of a Great King. It has been a tradition that one would show their respect to the king by bowing or touching of his feet before taking a seat.

Rupz you said:

I believe dat we shud only bow 2 God.

Keep in mind that God is beyond all forms and representations, Guru is not God, yet Guru is a part of God.

Just as a wave is not the ocean but a part of it.

matha tek is not ritualistic. when we put our hands together in front of GGS we are respecting the words in it, the words in the GGS are so true and are all devoted to god.

we bow down to ask for forgiveness, we cannot even compare to the gurus and all holy and pure people who have 100% respect and love for god alone, so we stay humble.

Again, its not the physical book we worship, its the WORDS inside it that are phenominal and nothing can compare to it

First

WE DONT WORSHIP SGGS G

By Matha Teekna

WE RESPECT IT...

WHOS DA SIKh's GURU???

Atma GRANTH WICh....

SRIR PANTH WICH

Meaning Guru's (THE TAECHERS) Soul is in Guru Granth Sahib Ji

and we respect it as our GUIDE or MENTOR

and dont worship it..as seeing as GOD

IK ONKAR -> GOD WE WROSHIP

SGGS -> Guiding us teh rite way

//hope this answerd ur question :P

BHulla Chukka Maaf

Sat Sri Akal:

Singh Khalsitan Dah has the right idea. If you observe the layout of a Gurudwara, you will observe that the the hall is called the "Darbar", which is the same as saying the King's Court. The Guru Granth Sahib is out Lord/Emperor. A Sikh, by bowing down to the Guru Granth Sahib is stating that "I am yours" and symbolized complete surrender and willingness to the Emperor's command. Such a stupid rumor is actually from one Varsha Bhosle, who has time and time again tried to belittle Sikhs and their ways. Rather than a meaningless ritual, this doing has a deep meaning with a lot of weight.

P.S. We have a reason for bowing down to our Guru Granth Sahib. Go ask this Christian (just to tease their mind :) ) why they kneel and pray in front of the Christ statue when the Old Testament strictly prohibits any importance to idols (which is what the statue is). See what they have to say just for fun! :twisted:

P.S. We have a reason for bowing down to our Guru Granth Sahib. Go ask this Christian (just to tease their mind :) ) why they kneel and pray in front of the Christ statue when the Old Testament strictly prohibits any importance to idols (which is what the statue is). See what they have to say just for fun! :twisted:

ur evil man :twisted: