Gurbani recitation

Gurfateh

i heard a recitation of the bani of Sant Kabir on panjab radio once, and recorded it with my cell phone. i found it to be so relaxing and spiritual that i wondered if anyone of you know where i can find more of this "style" ?

i dont know if it is some sampardaya style of recitation or what, but it sure is beautiful.

you can download my recording on. as it is recorded on a cell phone the quality is not that nice

http://download.yousendit.com/973E31C124C691C2

its bhagat kabir jee's saloks. You can get a recording of bhai jarnail singh doing it from gurmatveechar.com, or the recording I prefer by Gyani Raam Singh on (i think) keertan.org or the rajkaregakhalsa site. Gyani Raam Singh's recording of Bhagat Farid Jee's bani is really good too.

The recording you posted, although it may sound good, the paathi should do santhiya, cuz he is turning a lot of dulaavaas (an 'ai' sound) into laavaas (an 'ae' sound)

thanks veer ji. its not the saloks or bani im looking for, but rather the way of recitation. its really beautiful recited in that musical meatre.. i heard somewhere that udasis have a special way of reciting gurbani thats similiar to how christians in middle east recite their scriptures... i wondered if this is the udasi style?

that statement about the udasis was made by the then bahadur singh, which, typically, was a purely personal one-off incident he witnessed during his brief trip to punjab. he generalised it into a definitive institutional characteristic of a a 500 yr old tradition! no, udasis don't recite gurbani like greek orthodox monks (with a drone over which another recites), and there is no such thing as an udasi school of recitation. the only thing that is possibly distinctive about udasi recitation (compared to other sikhs) is when they recite udasi sanskrit salokas with the standard melody/metre (C-D-E-D-E-F-E-D-E-D-C...etc).

i've seen a fair few udasis, and of those who do actively recite gurbani, i've never heard anything like what he mentioned back then...(don't get me wrong, i love greek orthodox chant, and even went to meteora a few years back for orthodox chant in the monasteries - and the chant of the coptic church is also fascinating for the language and style of recitation).

Amardeep, I've heard the Saloks being recited exactly like that in quite a few Akhand Paaths. I don't think there's a name for the style, just depends on the Paathi.

gsingh00 is right about your recording though.

Oh I see. Sounds interesting.

As far as I know, it's only the original Egyption Coptic Church that teaches it's Priests special methods of chanting (Coptic) specifically.

I think I recall the chanting (Egypt) in that recent series about the Vicar from Devon who went on a spiritual quest. it was pretty powerful stuff, sounded very ancient/rustic, unlike the many hippie western forms of meditation that you hear today.

that statement about the udasis was made by the then bahadur singh, which, typically, was a purely personal one-off incident he witnessed during his brief trip to punjab.

Bahadur has in fact visited the region several times, so which trip are you referring to here?

he generalised it into a definitive institutional characteristic of a a 500 yr old tradition!

To be frank I fail to see how this would constitute 'typical' behaviour on his part. Even more surprising is your initiation of personal attacks against him here on this forum with defamatory asides such as this, when in the past you and him have shared a friendly interaction and he has never shown any animosity towards you.

singho, i sincerely apologise if you took my comments as a personal attack on your friend. you didn't read it properly, there is no personal attack in there. i thought i had put my point clearly, i haven't clearly enough so i apologise for not spelling it out more literally.