Recommeded Sikh Books??

Gangster

No good books about Sikhi in English. Most if not all are written for the western audience trying to make Sikhi look like a very scientific religion completely empty of spirituality.

But one man by the name of Surinder Singh Kohli has written a number of excellent books on Sikhi in various topics. I would suggest his books.

http://www.sikhnation.com/cms/index.php?op...8&Itemid=28

This is quite cool as a starting point and it's free.

I would recommend learning Punjabi and listening to the kathaa of respected Gursikhs also.

Ultimately you should be reading/doing paat of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji and Bhai Gurdaas diyan Vaaran/Kabbit Svaye to understand correct Sikh theology.

I will list some books here later, but this may be a good platform for all the sangat to share which books they think have been inspirational or educational to them.

Anything written by Sant Waryam Singh ji.

And anything by Sant Naranjan Singh ji. Divine Mystic Reflections on Gurmat Books are especially excellent. When I first came into sikhi i found them particularly interesting.

You can get the Reflections books from www.Sikhnation.com for free.

Also, Se Kineya, is a biography of Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji who conquered his mind in a real sense and shunned away even an iota of egoism and jealousy from every action, moment and touch of his human life .http://rampurkhera.net/Publication.html

anther excellent book is Bandgi Nama, which is kind of like a guide book for spirtual seekers. I don't think it's 100% accurate, but still very good. http://www.amritbani.com/documents/Bandgi%20Nama.pdf

here are some really good english books on spirituality and sikh theology:

1. Discourse on the beyond series 1-5. This book was intially called bat agam ki in punjabi written by sant waryam singh ji and later it was translated by this premi in this english. Must recommended!!

2. Bhavarasamrit by tirath singh nirmala.. must must must read book on traditional sikh theology.

3. Soceity of saints and The radiance of complete journey to Akaal Purkh by Sant baba Jagjit Singh Ji Harkhowaley.. it was orginally written in punjabi but later was translated by this premis from UK.

i went to sacha suada to get this book abroad..unfortunately they were more concerned playing politics ..who handle shipping cost things like this than actual contents of the book..they don't give two hoots of new sikh generation.

In Search of the True Guru by Bhai Sahib Bhai Rama Singh Ji (or Panjabi version- Roop Gobind Ka Raj Khalse Ka Sikha Sonne Ka) the book is LIFE CHANGING and very simple to follow. check this out http://www.sikhnation.com/cms/index.php?op...1&Itemid=31

anything by bhai sahib bhai randhir singh ji,eg. bhai sahib's autobiography, unditti duniya (the unseen world)- about afterlife, unseen things in the world etc.

There is a book called The Turban and the sword by Tarlochan Singh which i found quite informative. It deals with a lot of aspects of Sikhism and goes into details regarding the early khalsa, their way of living and such. Its quite good.

Divine Mystic reflections on Gurmat by Sant Niranjan Singh is also quite good.

Im going to hazur sahib next week. do you know if it is possible to buy the japji sahib steek of Sant Gurbachan Singh bhindrenwale there? if not, where can i buy it?

Also some more books which I have read are:

History of the Panjab - Mohammed Syed Latif

Syad Latif's book on Punjab or Sikh history should be read through a critical eye. His writing clearly show bias against Sikhs and in favour of the invading Muslims like the Afghans or the Mughals. He also tends to inflate the numbers in favour of the Muslims, and somehow he does this without any source to back it up like a good historian would do.

I agree, my Father bought it for me from India, back in 1998, only read it twice. When compared to Kushwant Singh, Dr Gopal, and Max Arthur Macauliffe's books, you can see that the History of the Panjab, indeed is not to be taken seriously. Although it is a good read and necessary for the sake of objectivity. (oooooh big words. lol)

The first time I read Syad Latif's book a few years ago, I felt so angry that I threw the book across the room. I felt it was so obvious this guy had a bias against Sikhs. Any chance he could get to degrade Sikhs, he would do it. But I gathered my courage and self control and finally managed to read his book. Not once but a number of times!

One thing I noticed is that he copied alot from Cunningham's book 'History of the Sikhs', yet he never gave Cunningham credit in his bibliography, as a mark of a honest historian.

• 2 weeks later...