Larivar Gurmukhi Art

Gurfateh,

Ive kind of started this ad was wondering if anyone else is into it too. My inspiration was the maha beadbi of Sache Patshahs swaroops in Delhi and catalysed me to start writing my own gutka and a few one off folio style pieces. (The gutka is just a prototype as it has a few design faults and mistakes but as they say practice makes perfect, so its all good)

Ill post some pics, and please give constructive criticism and share some thoughts and some of your own stuff

regards,

Maha Kharag Singh

dsc00383ws2.th.jpg

dsc00224gv6.th.jpg

dsc00225ay6.th.jpg

Great use of time. I am also fond of Gurmukhi calligraphy.

Just one word of advice, I would personally say you need more consistency in your akhar, as there seems to be some noticable variation of same akhar, even in the same line.

Spend a few weeks just rewriting each letter over a numberof pages and do this for at least 10 cycles of the complete aphabet.

You will see a great improvement.

Great artwork, although some of shastar look a little worrying!!

Keep up the great effort, may Akaal Purkh and all the sangat bless you in your endeavour.

Thanks for your comments they are truly encouraging, I've corrected the nirvair and jap, and shaheediya veer your advice has been taken on board and will be implemented.

Just to note the gutka is inconsistent in terms of its akhar as that was done in August. However the Mool Mantra was done only 2 days ago and i hope its a bit better than the quality of the gutka.

Veere, my sense of humors a bit funky at the moment, when you say the shastar are a little worrying is that a good thing or bad lol!!

Quite nice. I suggest you use a flat feather calligraphy pen (2 or 3 mm) or even better use reed pen that you cut yourself. The problem I have encountered in the UK is the absence of good calligraphy ink but there are some shops around the British Museum that have very good material. You should maybe invest in a good knife for cutting reed pens. I like the second picture with the start of Japuji. The problem is keeping up the same concentration throughout the complete work. I noticed that when working on manuscripts. You see how the Nirmala or Udasi wrote very carefully at the beginning and then 10 pages later you can see less dedication.

Lol, you just need to work a little on the kirpans and kataari...

But no big deal, little imperfections are what make these works all the more beautiful due to their uniqueness.

Look forward to seeing more in the future. Hopefully other members of the sangat will also be inspired and we will see their efforts in the future too. The little that I have done, I find the whole exercise to be akin to a beautiful simran.... writing Guru's divine message with focus and love takes you to a holy place.

few suggestions,

Are you intentionally trying to keep a certain size of the pages, or would you be willing to make the pages a bit larger. The reason for this is that given that Laarivaar saroops can seem congested, so I think it would be great if you can lengthen your paper and widen it just a bit so you can put sufficient spaces between the lines.

Are you also trying to do as much of this free handed as you can or would you consider using a ruler to keep the line across the letters consistant?

I love the size of the letter, I think they are perfect and can be easily read. It is wonderful that you are doing this, my prayers are with you friend. :)

Just a minor correction :), beginning of pouri #5 you have written Khukha, instead of Thutha for 'Thaapea' or my eyes might be decieving me.

Firstly thank you all for your constructive comments, Pheena penji the gutka was my first ever attempt at gurmukhi calligraphy and its just the "prototype" (lol) of the gutka i wish to produce, I'm going to post another picture, one I did today of the first 5 pauria of Chandi Di Vaar, its a little quashed because i wanted to fit all five pauria onto the page and leave an inch border around it for decoration but as we all know things never work out the way we want them so i discarded the border and.... well you can see for yourselves!!

Anyway, the paper i bought was A4 100% cotton vellum, and im just trying to use that up. When sachepatshah does kirpa ill be producing the gurka on the paper landscape (A4) like the chandi di vaar one i made, so rather than a gutka it will be more like a pothi, and in it i coulod add maybe more that just nitnem bania

img2655tp8.th.jpg

i am going to be writting a gutka of akal ustat very soon, will be sure to post, and will post my moharni as well (each letter written out)

Vahiguroo anand mangal veer ji, guru maharaj ji has apar kirpa on you. Vahiguroo :D

Quite nice. I suggest you use a flat feather calligraphy pen (2 or 3 mm) or even better use reed pen that you cut yourself. The problem I have encountered in the UK is the absence of good calligraphy ink but there are some shops around the British Museum that have very good material. You should maybe invest in a good knife for cutting reed pens. I like the second picture with the start of Japuji. The problem is keeping up the same concentration throughout the complete work. I noticed that when working on manuscripts. You see how the Nirmala or Udasi wrote very carefully at the beginning and then 10 pages later you can see less dedication.

What did the scribes of old use in India?