Pakistan, India urged to spare "Sikh Homeland' ........

Pakistan, India urged to spare‘Sikh homeland’ in case of war

By Our Special Correspondent

LONDON, Jan 27: In a significant development, a broad-based coalition of leading Sikh organisations, based in the Indian state of Punjab as well as representing the worldwide diaspora, has formally asked India to remove all its nuclear weapons and facilities from the ‘Sikh homeland’ and called upon both India and Pakistan to undertake not to target the territory in case of war.A delegation of leading UK-based Sikhs delivered a document setting out their demands to the Indian and Pakistani high commissions in London. It was also delivered to the UN Security Council via the French Embassy, with France currently holding the presidency of that body.

The Sikhs are looking for the UN to intervene on their behalf if the two governments fail to act on their demands. The demands have also been passed to UN’s human rights bodies in Geneva which have been asked to warn the two states against carrying out any crime against humanity in the ‘Sikh Homeland’.

The Sikhs maintain that they are not a party to the Indo-Pak dispute and, as non-combatants in the event of a war between the nuclear rivals, their population centre and homeland should not face what military experts have said is the likely outcome - a theatre of war in Punjab which becomes a nuclear conflict causing horrific casualties on a massive scale.

They say that since 1947 their nation has not had its sovereign rights respected and has been denied the right of self-determination under international law and it is now effectively unable to defend its people and territory from outside attack.

http://www.dawn.com/2009/01/28/top12.htm

Jattboot, you do have a point, but the fight between India and Pakistan is basically a fight between Hindus and Muslims. I think that Sikh organisations are saying why should Sikhs who have nothing to do with their fight become unvoluntary casualties between a fight between HIndus and Muslims.

The fight between Hindus and Muslims has been going on for over a 1000 years, and is likely to go on long into the future. Sikhs should look after their own interests first I think and secure our safely before acting like Hanuman who burns his poonch for someone else. We were the biggest losers of the partition. The British were giving us our Raaj, but our stupid leaders rejected it trusting in the words of Nehru and Gandhi. After that we all know of what happened to us.

Now that we are part of the Indian state, we need to make the best of it and just to prachar as much as we can to Hindus, Muslims, High and Low castes. Our birth rate is the 2nd lowest in India according the Indian census reports. So the only way we are going to increase our numbers is by doing Prachar.

"As SIkh comprise a large number of Indian military then naturally they are party."

Do they?

Not as in majority , but the sikh soldier generally are seen as the 'face' of the Indian Army in western and maybe indian media. Whether it is reality or just perception is a moot point. they will still be a target. Pakistani generals will not really start a debate as to the reality of Sikh numbers in the Army.

Nuclear war by its nature is indiscriminate. whoever gets in the way gets nuked!

I find it ridiculous that some Sikh organizations are requesting India and Pakistan to spare Punjab in case of war. Someone wrote that it is a fight between Hindus and Muslims.....it is just non-responsible comment. Think about the following:

- Sikhs are treated as hard-core fighters in Indian Army and are also famous with enemies who till now have fought with Sikh soldiers.

- In any case, Punjab is still part of India and all the persons living inside Punjab are eating salt of India and therefore have to pay it back.

- What if areas with high population of Muslims declare to Pakistan that do not attack their area because they are Muslims?

- What if Indian Sikh soldier say we are Sikhs and therefore we are NOT going to flight with Pakistan because Sikhs have nothing to do with it? Isn't it put a questionmark on Sikh community who always feel pride in helping others and also isn't put a questionmark on Sikh solider's bravery?

- What if every soldier (even Hindu) say that he has nothing to do with the war in Pakistan and therefore will NOT fight? Noone will be ready to fight?

- Many of great Saints: Sant Karam Singh Ji (Hoti Mardan Wale), Sant Attar Singh Ji (Reru Sahib wale), Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji (Rara Sahib Wale) were in British army because they thought that it is "Hak de kamai". They never said that they won't fight because the other enemy was Indian.

- Everyone remembers battle of Saragari: What if those 21 soldiers have said they have nothing to do with the fight between British and Muslims?

- Our Gurus always fought for the weak (be it Hindu or Muslim). How could we say that Sikhs have nothing to do with it and request other authorities to spare Sikhhomeland.

So, stop saying that Sikhs are nothing to do with the war. In fact, a common man (from any religion) NEVER wants war but if war breaks out then it is between countries, even though by seeing the majority we can say that Muslims vs Hindus but categoring this way does NOT mean that Sikhs can just walk away from that.

I think that asking India and Pakistan to spare Punjab is nothing more than just a international propaganda to gain the international sympathy towards the Sikhs and then push the hidden idea of seperate state for Sikhs. I am NOT saying that this is incorrect, I am saying that the way it is being pushed is incorrect.

das

Das, your post is drenched in political correctness, and I’m sure it would sound all too well in a patriotic Amir Khan movie, but we need to be more realistic for minute. I’m not a Khalistani, nor do I care for Khalistan. In fact, the way many current Khalistanis are, I don’t really think we should have one. But that doesn’t mean I’m not a Sikh nationalist and don’t care for Sikh interests. Whenever there is a Indo-Pak(Hindu-Muslim) war, of course it would be in the interests of the Sikhs to stand by the Hindus since Muslims are more evil than Hindus, but that doesnt mean we should’t act in our interests either. For too long we have been looking out for the interests of others without thinking about our future generations for minute. As Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Bhindrawala once that, we are still paying for the mistakes that Sikhs during the partition made. Sant Jee said this because we were being offered our own state, yet our leaders at the time rejected it because they trusted the words of two sweet tongued lawyers (Gandhi and Nehru). If we dont’ want our future generations to suffer, we need to thinking about our interests from today.

- Many of great Saints: Sant Karam Singh Ji (Hoti Mardan Wale), Sant Attar Singh Ji (Reru Sahib wale), Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji (Rara Sahib Wale) were in British army because they thought that it is "Hak de kamai". They never said that they won't fight because the other enemy was Indian.

The Mahapursh you mentioned joined at a time when pretty much all rural Sikhs were army men. This was our main profession of the time. This was a way of life for Sikhs. During those times, being born a Sikh automatically meant you would pretty much become a soldier.

Also, please anwswer me this, would the Mahapursh you mentioned have supported the Indian state during 1984? Or would they supported another mahapursh by the name of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawala in 1984?

It's my point of view and does NOT necessarily mean you should agree with it. But I see this "request to spare Punjab" thing a strain to ages long Sikh image. It seemed a bit odd that a Sikh has started to think about himself first and that's when there is a cloud of war.... and also we're raising questions against those who laid their lifes for others (starting from Guru Jis time)

Moreover, regarding your question:

"Also, please anwswer me this, would the Mahapursh you mentioned have supported the Indian state during 1984? Or would they supported another mahapursh by the name of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawala in 1984?"

All the Mahapurashs that I mentioned were pre-1974 period.....and I cannot answer your question as I do NOT think that I can think the way they could have thought for 1984.

Thanks

Das,

So if Pakistan uses a nuclear device in Punjab thereby killing millions of Punjabis the majority being Sikhs and making the Punjab uninhabitable for centuries then that's ok with you because Sikhs will still retain their reputation for bravery! Sitting in the USA behind your computer you may be able to sprout such nonsense but for Sikhs in Punjab this will be a matter of life and death.

What you have to understand is that the next Indo-Pak war will not be a conventional war but a nuclear war. India may have a superiority over pakistan in nuclear warheads but Pakistan will still have enough warheads to wipe out many areas of India eapecially Punjab. Chances are Punjab will be in the firing line especially as the Indian superiority in conventional wars is likely to lead to an Indian attack on West Punjab. A Pakistani nuking of Delhi, Mumbai or Kolkata is likely to lead to an Indian nuclear response but a nuking of Punjab especially if Pakistan uses a limited attack as proof of its intention to use nuclear weapons may lead the Indians to attempt to take the high moral ground and not use nuclear weapons as a way to gain support from western countries. If you think this is fanciful then read your history, the Indians were willing to withdraw back to Ambala in 1965 and only actions by a Sikh general stopped the withdrawal!

Historically there have been cases especially during the cold war when populations have declared their cities and areas as 'nuclear free'. Many local councils in the UK declared their areas nuclear free.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

The UN, World Leaders, Indian or Pakistani Govts don't and won't give a hoot about Punjab.

UN are a bunch of roadside spectators in anycase.

If there is a war, a piece of paper will mean nothing.

The only commonsensical move will be to prepare for a Nuclear attack.

Its more for the sake of those individuals who wrote and posted the letter. They are trying to 'big up' themselves amongst the Panjabi sikh community, to show that they are strong leaders and caring enough to recieve any jathedari going in the future. got nothing to do with outsiders, but everything to do with Sikh politics.

I would like to suggest to those UK Sikh organizations that: instead of saying "please spare Punjab".....lets say (if they have to because these things are pre-planned by GOD) to international community and to India/Pakistan that there should be NO WAR....so that lot many human lives can be saved.

I think that jattboot and shaheediyan in their last comments have expressed exactly in short what I was trying to say.

Think about human life and NOT only about Sikh lifes.

And for your information: All my relatives are in Punjab.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

Sikhs Proclaim No War

Jagmohan Singh - World Sikh News

The 36 Sikh organisations which submitted the Appeal

American Gurdwara Prabandakh Committee, Anti-defamation Sikh Council for Freedom of Khalistan, USA, Baba Banda Singh Bahadhur Society Abbotsford, Canada, Council of Khalistan, Dal Khalsa International, UK, Daljit Singh Bittu, Presidium Member, Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) (Panch Pardhani), Punjab, Dr. Amarjit Singh, Director, Khalistan Affairs Centre, Washington DC, USA, Gurdwara Sahib Kalgidhar Darbar, Abbotsford, Canada, Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar, Surrey Canada, International Sikh Youth Federation (Germany), Italy Sikh Council, Justice (Retd.) Ajit Singh Bains, Convenor, Punjab Human Rights Organisation, Kanwarpal Singh, Political Affairs Spokesman, Dal Khalsa, Punjab, Kashmir Singh, Gen-Secretary, British Sikh Federation, Khalistan Government in exile, Khalsa Human Rights, UK, Kulwant Singh Dhesi, British Sikh Council, Mohkam Singh, Convenor Khalsa Action Committee, Punjab, Narain Singh, Shiromani Sikh Council International, Punjab, National Council of Gurdwaras, UK, National Sikh Committee Italy, Navkiran Singh, Advocate, General Secretary, Lawyers for Human Rights International, Punjab, Ontario Gurdwara Committee (OGC), Canada, Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), UK, Shiromani Akali Dal (Punj Pardhani), Canada, Shiromani Akali Dal (Punj Pardhani), France, Shiromani Sikh Council, UK, Sikh Council of Belgium, Sikh Federation (UK), Sikh Foundation Switzerland, Sikh Secretariat, UK, Sikh Youth of America, Simranjit Singh Mann, President, Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), Punjab, United Sikh Federation, Canada, Voices for Freedom, Young Sikhs (UK).

LONDON: Anyone who thought that Sikhs would sit back and allow India and Pakistan to wage their daily verbal duel and war cries without opprobrium from any quarters is in for a rude shock. Just as civil society in the two countries has geared up to denounce any possibility of war, the Sikhs too, as a people have shown exemplary solidarity to jointly proclaim peace in the Indian sub-continent and ask the two countries not to ignore the sentiments and concerns of the non-combatant Sikh populace in the region.

Continued war mongering between India and Pakistan, which has reached fever pitch since 26/11 has brought about a rare unity amongst Sikh groups from Punjab and across the world seeking intervention of the international community, particularly the United Nations for building public opinion against war between the two countries and usage of nuclear arsenal of the two countries built up by them over the decades.

Making their intentions absolutely clear in unmistakably direct terms, the document submitted by a consortium of 36 Sikh organisations from Punjab, United Kingdom, Canada, Europe and the United States to the Indian, Pakistani and French Embassies on 26 January, calls for immediate de-escalation of the hostile rhetoric between the two countries and urging the international community to do exert diplomatic pressure enabling the two countries to engage in dialogue and avert war, which is likely to bring about nuclear catastrophe in the region, particularly in the homeland of the Sikhs –Punjab.

The Sikh nation, presently sandwiched between the two warring cultures, stands for universal peace and brotherhood. Historically we have been wronged a lot and the present war hysteria, which presents a dangerous situation for the entire region, is likely to engage the Sikh people in their severest test ever and is also likely to annihilate thousands of innocent people on both sides of the Radcliffe line, but the majority of the brunt is likely to be borne by the Sikhs and Punjabis.

Advocate activist Ranjit Singh Srai, who was instrumental in bringing about this rare feat amongst the Sikhs said that, “Sikhs are looking for the UN to intervene on their behalf if the Indian government fails to act on their demands.â€

He further pointed that leaving nothing to chance, the list of demands has been forwarded to various UN forums in Geneva as well. On behalf of the multifarious religious, social, human rights and political bodies of the Sikh Nation, the urgent appeal was presented to the embassies in London by Amrik Singh Gill, President Sikh Federation (UK), Amrik Singh Sahota, OBE, President, Council of Khalistan, Balbir Singh, Shiromani Sikh Council, UK, Councillor Gurdial Singh Atwal, Chairman, Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), UK and Co-ordinator SAD(A) International Committee, Gurmej Singh Gill, Prime Minister, Khalistan Government in Exile and Manmohan Singh, Vice-President Dal Khalsa International.

“Neither India nor Pakistan has been willing to sign up to the UN's non-proliferation regime or unilaterally renounce their nuclear weapons capabilities in order to create a nuclear weapons-free South Asia, underlining their willingness to use such weapons. The Sikhs, for whom the consequences are unimaginable, therefore have no alternative but to appeal to the international community to take immediate steps to stop yet another calamity imminently befalling them†says the well-drafted appeal.

Spelling out the need for such a united step by the Sikhs, the spokesperson said that, Sikhs stood for peace in the Indian sub-continent and wanted the two countries to resolve all disputes politically, taking into account the aspirations of the Sikh nation. He said that if it is not so done as part of a conflict-resolution process, the geo-political situation has the full potential to degenerate into a Gaza-type human rights nightmare for the Sikh people in their homeland Punjab.

Tracing the track of Sikh sufferings from 1947 to the present times, the appeal condemns the consistent denial of the right to self-determination to the Sikhs, upholds Sikh nationhood and proclaims that “Until those sovereign rights are restored, which we submit will help provide an enduring solution to the problems of the region as a whole, it is the duty of the international community to deliver that protection and prevent the potential annihilation of the world’s fifth largest religion.â€

Speaking for Sikhs, Muslims, Christians and all others living in this region, this urgent action appeal categorically asks “The UN High Commissioner on Human Rights, the UN Human Rights Commission and other UN bodies to establish a dialogue with Indian and Pakistani leaders to make them fully aware of their human rights obligations towards the Sikhs and to formally warn those leaderships that any breach of international law or mass rights violations in this context will result in action by a duly constituted criminal court.â€

When was the last time you came across such a unified Sikh effort? It surely calls for commendation by the Sikhs in Punjab and the Sikh Diaspora across the globe which is ever anxious about the political situation at ground zero in the Sikh homeland.

28 January 2009

das, if there are two individuals who have had a violent history with one another and when ever they see each other they get into a gun fight. Then let us assume there is a Sikh who is just a passerby and is caught in the middle of the gun fire between the two violent individuals, what should the Sikh do:

a) just stand in the middle of the two violent individuals shooting each other because that would be "brave" thing for the Sikh to do.

B) Get out of the way.

Nothing smart or brave in option 'a' in my opinion.

If you think this is fanciful then read your history, the Indians were willing to withdraw back to Ambala in 1965 and only actions by a Sikh general stopped the withdrawal!

Tony jee has made good very valid point here. In 1965, when it was very likely that the Pakistanis were going to win, the Indian government had ordered the Indian army to abandon Punjab to the Pakistanis and move all the way back to Ambala. If that had happened, then it is very likely that no Sikh girl would have remained a virgin as mentioned by the great author of Saachi Saakhi. It was only because of brave men like Harbaksh Singh that the Sikhs in the Indian military refused to listen to the Hindu mantrees and generals way back in Delhi to abandon Punjab. Sikhs beat the Pakistanis which was at the time unthinkable. We CANNOT rely on anyone else for our protection.

Sikh need to look out for their own interests, because if we don't NO ONE ELSE will.

Tony jee has made good very valid point here. In 1965, when it was very likely that the Pakistanis were going to win, the Indian government had ordered the Indian army to abandon Punjab to the Pakistanis and move all the way back to Ambala. If that had happened, then it is very likely that no Sikh girl would have remained a virgin as mentioned by the great author of Saachi Saakhi. It was only because of brave men like Harbaksh Singh that the Sikhs in the Indian military refused to listen to the Hindu mantrees and generals way back in Delhi to abandon Punjab. Sikhs beat the Pakistanis which was at the time unthinkable. We CANNOT rely on anyone else for our protection.

Sikh need to look out for their own interests, because if we don't NO ONE ELSE will.

I SECOND THAT!