keski wale kuriyaa

I wear a Gold Necklace around my Neck, I have never liked wearing anything on my fingers or around my neck. It was a Gift from my mother on my 18th birthday. I wear it because she bought it especially for me....

Pheena Ji, calm down. No need to get so defensive, chill. Anyway I was intrigued by the above part of your post. You say you wore the necklace because it holds sentimental value. Well, imagine the love Guru Gobind Singh Ji had for the Khalsa, when he sacrificed his sons, and gave us the Kakkars as gifts of love, are they more important? Or all this dressing up and gold and silver stuff.

KS, you know the answer to your question, people wear this stuff to look good in front of other people, their level spirituality is pretty clear, and I could be one of them, so don't get me wrong, not dissing anyone here. It's just that people make all these excuses for wearing all this stuff, just admit it, it's to look better than usual, simple, whether that's right or wrong, in line with the expectations our Guru's have from us, is up to you.

Gurfateh

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pheena Ji, calm down. No need to get so defensive, chill. Anyway I was intrigued by the above part of your post. You say you wore the necklace because it holds sentimental value. Well, imagine the love Guru Gobind Singh Ji had for the Khalsa, when he sacrificed his sons, and gave us the Kakkars as gifts of love, are they more important? Or all this dressing up and gold and silver stuff.

KS, you know the answer to your question, people wear this stuff to look good in front of other people, their level spirituality is pretty clear, and I could be one of them, so don't get me wrong, not dissing anyone here. It's just that people make all these excuses for wearing all this stuff, just admit it, it's to look better than usual, simple, whether that's right or wrong, in line with the expectations our Guru's have from us, is up to you.

Gurfateh

What gurpreet is saying is to through it back into your mothers face.. am i right? :LOL: (joke)

It might sound harsh but there u go

personally im not saying that gold etc is more important then the gurus, but gold is like any other material, Isnt wearing the 5k's to look good for maharaj? to some next man it might be meaningless, for someone it might be worth something, u get me penji

personaly i think nothing is wrong with wearing gold, if u are wearin to pull attention then thats a different matter

i got present like that from my mom to, shall i throw her sign of respect and luv away, urm i very much doubt it

laterz

Gurfateh

First sis ji, I am not getting upset., and yes it held some Value to my Mother, but not to the point that she is obsessed over Gold or she'll cry if she found it missing. If our Guru ji can give us Kakars to wear out of love and My mother gives me a Necklace to wear out of Love, Now you tell me what is the Difference?? Your Mother is your First Guru for without her your body could not exist. It was her that fed you when you were hungry. So I cannot deny her gift out of love. Perhaps you can, but I CANNOT.

Secondly, who says i am dressing up, i have already pointed out that i don't wear Gold except that necklace which i wear underneath my shirt. Dressing up is like showing off to other, you can assume that i do that, but it will only be an Assumption. I am not obsessed with GOLD, NOR DO I CARE ABOUT GOLD. If i wear a Necklace and if in your eyes it makes me a bad person? then it does.

If you follow the Rehat I am not even considered a Sikh because I am a Mona and I haven't yet taken Amrit. So I don't even know what religion i belong to. So the Rehat tells me I am not a Sikh; but yet i should follow the rehat which is only for Sikhs??

The only thing that is left is for someone to tell me that I am going to Hell for wearing a Necklace.

Please dont' assume that everyoen who wears Gold is Obsessed with it or is trying to look good infront of others. I am not making up an excuse for anything. The necklace around my neck was a gift from my mother, simply that, If you want to keep digging into it trying to find something that isn't there, then please do so.

Again i must Stress this point, that the OBSESSION with GOLD is the Killer not Gold itself. If you Find Pleasure in Gold then it is a Problem. A Person Can wear Gold without being obsessed with it.

I am not getting upset...just stating my views.

Waheguru

hahaha, bruv......what im saying to him is

its not gonna go wiv u, when u die.......... iz it? :LOL:

I wear jewellery, but no way is it gonna make me all macho and going into da ghetto :LOL: , i dont think im rich and stuff with, im like anyone else

"Its control yaar ..........CONTROL" (apu accent)

No but it increases the risk of getting HANKAR

increases the RISK

if u have control

fair enough :)

now but the fact that u wore it because Guru ji said so..is GOING TO GO WITH U :)

Also..

personally im not saying that gold etc is more important then the gurus, but gold is like any other material,

WE are told to be SImple..and not be FUll of Mascara and loads of other crap like pouder and stuff

'a Sikh should be SIMPLE :)

Isnt wearing the 5k's to look good for maharaj?

No ebcaues there is a SIGNIFICANCE behind each k :roll:

its only for ur won sake

Kachera = for u to EASIER be able to control ur lust

Kara= God is eternal and remember when sining that u r not supposed to do bad thing

Kirpan =KIRPA

Kesh/KESKI (dontwant to go into further arguement about it)= Idenetity and acceptance to Gods will...about how the Body is

Kangha= TAkes Care of ur Kesh

I think i need not to go in further..but u get it....it all has a SIGNIFICANCE and is praticle :)

to some next man it might be meaningless, for someone it might be worth something, u get me penji

Noep..and I'm a Bhaji :D

personaly i think nothing is wrong with wearing gold, if u are wearin to pull attention then thats a different matter

Me neither.....but why would u else put jewelry..to get more self esteem? as u said not to make other attracted

then WHY is it so NECESSARY :roll: ?

i got present like that from my mom to, shall i throw her sign of respect and luv away, urm i very much doubt it

Not at all :)

Keep it :)

take care of it..........but be aware that its kalyug and HUAME KAN CATCH U ANY TIME :evil:

regards

Amrik and Pheena Bro, I assure you, I'm not trying to belittle the love a Mother has for her child.

What I meant was, the love Guru Ji had for His Khalsa is much greater than a Mother's love, that is the extent to which Guru Ji loved us, he sacrificed his all for us.

There are instances when Sikhs have left their family (because they were against Sikhi) to fight alongside Guru Ji.

I understand the necklace holds sentimental value for you and that is a admirable thing. I guess I wanted to convey the point that if we all remembered the love Guru Ji had for us, just as your mother gave you a necklace, he gave us 5 K's, that should be enough for us to wear them without questioning their practicality, also, it should be enough for anyone to take Amrit as soon as they can, why the delay?!

Just as you respected your Mother's love by wearing her given necklace, let's all wear the Kakkars presented to us by our Spiritual Father, with pride and love.

As for jewellery, the people who wear it without attaching sentimental value to it are pleasing others, not the Guru. For a GurSikh, the Guru's happiness is paramount.

Please don't think I think you will go to hell for wearing a gold necklace, that narrow mindedness has no place in Sikhi, which embraces all.

BTW a Sakhi recited by Baba Nand Singh Ji Maharaj came to mind. A simple villager went in search of the King of his city. He wanted to see him so badly, after hearing so much from his friends about how rich and wonderful the Raja looked. After winning over the Raja he started to stay with him at his insistence, as the Raja had no son of his own.

The Raja gave him new clothes, he said he wanted to wear the Raja's second hand clothes, the Raja gave him wonderful food to eat, he insisted on eating the Raja's leftovers. He was so fascinated and awed by the Maharaja, he modelled himself on him. One day when the Raja was out hunting, the simple villager was also with him because he insisted to stay with the Raja at all times. Some villagers mistook the villager for the Raja and bowed to him.

Babaji used to say, model yourself on your Guru, follow him, try to mould yourself in His footsteps, and the Guru will always remain by His Sikh's side. At this stage, we can understand what Guru Ji meant by 'Khalsa Mero Roop Hai Khaas' and 'Har Ka Sewar Har Hee Jeha'. So, we should try to discard these mundane things to please others, and concentrate on pleasing only the Guru.

Gurfateh

Me neither.....but why would u else put jewelry..to get more self esteem? as u said not to make other attracted

then WHY is it so NECESSARY :roll: ?

Guest Javanmard

amrik singh wrote:

U said 5k's have a meaning, Ask a gora what a kara is for .............ill bet he'll say its a weapon
are you saying that NIhangs are gore? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

harimandir sahib was not covered in gold by guru ji, as far as i know it was covered by raja ranjit singh when he ruled over punjab. one has to wonder that if darbar sahib was to be called "the golden temple" wouldnt guru ji have covered it themselves, after all they had no shortage of sikhs who would have willingly done the seva?

you cant try and compare yourself with the guru, guru ji wore whatever he liked, he was the guru he can and did do what he liked. we are not to copy his actions but to follow his commands.

if gurbani tells us that gold is a waste of time and is just like dust etc then that is what we follow. if the guru's command is to ake amrit wear the kakkar's and live as a sikh then that is what we follow.

someone talked about a gold kara, as far as i know, one of the reasons for wearing a kara is that its meant to be made from a base element ie iron (sarbloh) which is a natural and humble metal and remind us to be the same, to keep humility in our hearts. how does a gold kara fulfill this requirement?

again as far as i know, the kara should be sarbloh, not gold, silver stainless steel, platinum etc, those are bangles.

and who cares what a gora thinks or says? we listen to guru ji, gora might say u got long hair therefore you are feminine like a woman.. is that something you would listen to as well?

if you dnt see the practicality in something then why use/wear it?

you wear clothes to keep you covered and warm, the kakkars also have a purpose as stated, but gold? what purpose does it have?

if people give others gold, then why? why not give something of use eg kirpan? some say i wear this ring cus my dying gran gave it to me...is that attachment or am i just cruel hearted?? shes gone, she dnt give a ** what or who has her ring!

gold is a waste of time, and we increase the prob by giving it a place in our society which means people feel they have to have some in order to be respectable... look how much gets thrown around at weddings!

do u really think your gonna wear all that or parenst can afford it?

its just a case of if she got x amount for their daughter, we have to get 2x amount! leading to probs with dowry (prog on bbc2 the other day) and its associated difficulties!

khalsa meant to be simple, we aint showing example to society by getting involved in this stuff.

Wear gold mate and then comment on such thing :roll:

I DO :LOL:

But I never said its right of me..cause I know I'm wrong ...

And i will remove it as soon as I Amrit Shakna :bow: :bow:

why do u protect it som much then :roll:

Shwoing Hanakr...is there a way u can do that :?

no but it increases the risk for GETTING HANKAR..one of the 5 evils..remember :roll: ?

Look ...i u dont wanna listen dont..but u keep argueming ...

If u want to wear it ..but u can't say Sikhs says its OKAY :)

Good for you

still havm't told any reason to wear it at all yet :roll: ,

havn't told me whats so important that makes u want to not listen to Guru ji telling us to be simle...and stay away from the five evils :roll:

afford ?...no did i say so :roll:

I'll simply quote Gurpreet Jis post.which u didn't bother to read:

Agree entirely What bhaji said :)

teri maarji :)

are u a Gora :roll: ?

wear an appropreat SARBLOH da Kara...and they wont mistake it for a Weapon

not those FAT STEEL ONES..which seriously do loook like a WEapon...

but then again..I'm wearing one of those...security Gurads never said anything ....when they were doing their checking at the airport :roll: :LOL:

Bhull CHukk maaf!

harimandir sahib was not covered in gold by guru ji, as far as i know it was covered by raja ranjit singh

correct :)

when he ruled over punjab. one has to wonder that if darbar sahib was to be called "the golden temple"

no it was prolly called Darbar SAhib or Harimandir SAhib :? Anyone who can enlighten us?

wouldnt guru ji have covered it themselves, after all they had no shortage of sikhs who would have willingly done the seva?

a Point discussed a lot!

you cant try and compare yourself with the guru, guru ji wore whatever he liked, he was the guru he can and did do what he liked. we are not to copy his actions but to follow his commands.

that is ABSURB

u can't say that he even did wear jewelery..cause he hasn't provided any HISTORICAL REFERANCE..

his answer will probably be to lok on photos :roll:

ARtist do what they want..

who is there to stop them :roll: ?

and i dont agree with ur point that they could do whatever they wanted ...but thought the Sikhs not to

thats not RIGHT! :roll:

infact we SHOULD COMPARE TO THE GURUS (according to a Sweet Sikhi..on Panjab radio :D )

because... can u see ow much our Gurus did for us?

are we willing to do that much for them?

are we not able to keep such great persons happy :?

we are not to copy his actions
no not ONLY but ALSO

follow his commands.

ofcourse we are to do what the Gurus did...! spread the name of God ..to the ignorant people.... ang take them away from false rituals :roll: :? !

he was the guru he can and did do what he liked

who'd follow him if he tought something and did something else....no -one!..the GURUS ARE SO MAHAN THEY THOUGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!

:bow:

if gurbani tells us that gold is a waste of time and is just like dust etc then that is what we follow. if the guru's command is to ake amrit wear the kakkar's and live as a sikh then that is what we follow.

:bow: :yo: :bow:

and who cares what a gora thinks or says? we listen to guru ji, gora might say u got long hair therefore you are feminine like a woman.. is that something you would listen to as well?

if you dnt see the practicality in something then why use/wear it?

you wear clothes to keep you covered and warm, the kakkars also have a purpose as stated, but gold? what purpose does it have?

:yo:

if people give others gold, then why? why not give something of use eg kirpan? some say i wear this ring cus my dying gran gave it to me...is that attachment or am i just cruel hearted?? shes gone, she dnt give a ** what or who has her ring!

agree i'm ot pointing at anyone but jsut think that some cases give attachment to Gold and makes u get a lil bit of EGO..

Basically agreed with mort parts of Mr "Baba Manochal"'s thoughts :)

baba manochal is right. jewelry is stoopid. just like the rehatnama says. nothing else to say really, unless u want to mention other pieces of jewelry your parents have brought u.

you my friend have no grounds to talk, for you are not even considered a Sikh by the same Rehat which you profoundly preach.

You tell me that the necklace i wear is wrong, but who are you to make that claim. YOu are preaching from a Rehat which does not even entitle you the right to call yourself a Sikh.

Become a Sikh of the Guru according to the Rehat which you preach then it gives you the right to preach other about the Rehat. Until then keep it to yourself.

Waheguru.

nope, i openly admit that i am not a sikh, i have not taken amrit, and i am a total moorakh, i admit i wear expensive clothes and i shouldnt, whilst you refuse to admit its wrong to wear gold jewellry!

if only sarbloh bibekis "preached" the importance of sarbloh bibek no1 else new would start following it!

regardless of whether i am a amritdhari or not, my points still valid, and as is everyone elses.

nope, i openly admit that i am not a sikh, i have not taken amrit, and i am a total moorakh, i admit i wear expensive clothes and i shouldnt, whilst you refuse to admit its wrong to wear gold jewellry!

if only sarbloh bibekis "preached" the importance of sarbloh bibek no1 else new would start following it!

regardless of whether i am a amritdhari or not, my points still valid, and as is everyone elses.

Your bowing of your head to other in shame has hidden ego which wants praise from other that look how honest this person is, that he is calling himself a sinner. Your are getting proud of your Truthfullness even if it shows your wrongness. That is Ego hidden within Ego. Calling yourself a Sinner does not give you the right to call others Sinners, simply because you have made it obvious to other that you are a sinner.

You are a Student who does not even follow the Rehat himself, but yet you point that mistakes in other??

What makes you the judge to justify my wearing a necklace a bad thing? What Criteria are you using which you have used on yourself, that you have taken and accepted in your life. Who made you the Judging Factor in this?? Have you Experienced that wearing a Necklace makes your Greed and Desire for Gold grow Stronger? You have only Read it. I have no greed for gold, therefore if i wear gold, it does not affect my mind. It is there, half of the time i don't even know i have it on, i don't show it off to other because it is after all only metal. There are those who show off their Shastars to other as if they are great Wariors. If Gold is Bad then why is Harmandir Sahib Wraped around Gold??

Again It is the Greed Which lies not in the Gold but within the Mind that is Root of Sin. Not Gold itself. Gold does not Attach itself to you, you attach youself to the Gold. It is not he gold that is the Killer it is the GREED/DESIRE/ATTACHMENT/ for the Gold. Only if you can get that in your head.

You know if God is going to Punish me for Wearning a Necklace then let it be. I will take that Punishment for it will be my own doing not yours. I thank you for trying to save me when you are drowning yourself.

You see the difference between you and me is that you say all these thing which you youself don't follow. What i say is that i speak from Experience. You read and you preach. I experience and so i speak on what i have "Experienced". If you truely wanted other to follow the Rehat you would have followed it yourself first to the fullest.

You want to nitpick on my Necklace, but yet you yourself wear Expensive Clothes??????. Then What right does it give you to call me Wrong?? That is being a Hypocrit. You youself don't follow the Rehat but you want me to do it??

If you think you can Read Something and start to Preach other what you have not experience, your preaching is Dry and will not affect a single soul becuase it has no foundation. If you Practice what you Preach then your preaching is Complete and Honest.

Come back when you have taken Amrit and follow the Rehat Fully. Then and ONLY then does it give you the right to preach to non-Amritdharis like me. I would even Listen to you because you are Preaching what you are practising for you have experienced what i have not.

Your bowing of your head to other in shame has hidden ego which wants praise from other that look how honest this person is, that he is calling himself a sinner. Your are getting proud of your Truthfullness even if it shows your wrongness. That is Ego hidden within Ego. Calling yourself a Sinner does not give you the right to call others Sinners, simply because you have made it obvious to other that you are a sinner.

hav u met me? do u know hu i am?

well, ive just admitted im a cr*p sikh, and now your saying im being egotistical.....have you got a degree in pseudo psychology?.... lol

im not asking u 2 do a personality study on me.....im asking you to reevaluate ur progress on the spiritual path and admit when ur wrong.

You are a Student who does not even follow the Rehat himself, but yet you point that mistakes in other??

im a sehajdhari, and im slowly slowly tryna follow the rehat.

u didnt read what i said - if only sarbloh bibekis told us to do sarbloh bibek, virtuall no1 would preach it, hence even less people would follow it!

What makes you the judge to justify my wearing a necklace a bad thing? What Criteria are you using which you have used on yourself, that you have taken and accepted in your life. Who made you the Judging Factor in this?? Have you Experienced that wearing a Necklace makes your Greed and Desire for Gold grow Stronger? You have only Read it. I have no greed for gold, therefore if i wear gold, it does not affect my mind. It is there, half of the time i don't even know i have it on, i don't show it off to other because it is after all only metal. There are those who show off their Shastars to other as if they are great Wariors. If Gold is Bad then why is Harmandir Sahib Wraped around Gold??

bla bla........what im saying is.......jewellry is unnecessary. why dont u refute what other people have said instead of saying the same thing to me? harmandhir sahib is wrapped in gold because maharajah ranjit singh put it on, just like he had concubines, did adultery and drunk alot of sharab.

Again It is the Greed Which lies not in the Gold but within the Mind that is Root of Sin. Not Gold itself. Gold does not Attach itself to you, you attach youself to the Gold. It is not he gold that is the Killer it is the GREED/DESIRE/ATTACHMENT/ for the Gold. Only if you can get that in your head.

i dont think any of us knows what goes on in our subconscious mind. if your mom gave u a tacky plastic kiddies chain with a mickey mouse on the end, would u wear it so proudly and obviously ontop of ur clothes? obviously not. hm i wonder why?

You know if God is going to Punish me for Wearning a Necklace then let it be. I will take that Punishment for it will be my own doing not yours. I thank you for trying to save me when you are drowning yourself.

choke......gurgle.......drowning :LOL:

You see the difference between you and me is that you say all these thing which you youself don't follow. What i say is that i speak from Experience. You read and you preach. I experience and so i speak on what i have "Experienced". If you truely wanted other to follow the Rehat you would have followed it yourself first to the fullest.

ive done amritvela in the past and its wicked. so i tell ppl that amritvela is good. i have worn jewelry in the past and ive realised its gay, so i say its bad to wear jewellery. just like i used to listen to rap music and stopped and now im anti rap music.

ur making it out like ur well experienced in the rehat lol...from what i know u dont even grow ur kesh!!!!!!

You want to nitpick on my Necklace, but yet you yourself wear Expensive Clothes??????. Then What right does it give you to call me Wrong?? That is being a Hypocrit. You youself don't follow the Rehat but you want me to do it??

no, im saying its wrong to wear a necklace and its wrong to wear expensive clothes. n im working my way out of it. i know i have to take amrit, but i havent taken it yet, does that make me a hypocrite? nah, cuz im working towards it.

If you think you can Read Something and start to Preach other what you have not experience, your preaching is Dry and will not affect a single soul becuase it has no foundation. If you Practice what you Preach then your preaching is Complete and Honest.

strange, even tho im not a particularly good persuader, i have already helped sum1 grow their kesh in the past. so i would say my "preachings" affected at least 1 person. only i wudnt call it preaching, id call it telling them what is right and wrong.

Come back when you have taken Amrit and follow the Rehat Fully. Then and ONLY then does it give you the right to preach to non-Amritdharis like me. I would even Listen to you because you are Preaching what you are practising for you have experienced what i have not.

by that rationale, come back here on the sikhi board when u r sikh - which is once uve taken amrit!

everyone knows amritvela is an important part of the rehat and everyone spoke out against kala afgana when he said amritvela was rubbish. but half those people didnt do amritvela day in day out. so are these all evil hypocrites who shud go away and come back once htey have never missed an amritvela?

i think ur just raw cuz no1 agrees with u that jewelry is ok in sikhi :o

Ok I'll make it real Simple for you.

Obviously What i said made no sense to you if so then nothing i will say after this will either. This is becoming pointless as you cannot grasp what i am trying to say, yet somewhere in there we both agreed on something.

So Either way, you have gotten no where with me as have I with you.

Life your life to the fullest according to the Budhee waheguru has blessed you with, as will I.

God Bless. :!:

First sis ji, I am not getting upset., and yes it held some Value to my Mother, but not to the point that she is obsessed over Gold or she'll cry if she found it missing. If our Guru ji can give us Kakars to wear out of love and My mother gives me a Necklace to wear out of Love, Now you tell me what is the Difference?? Your Mother is your First Guru for without her your body could not exist. It was her that fed you when you were hungry. So I cannot deny her gift out of love. Perhaps you can, but I CANNOT.

good point

u shud have the most respect for ur parents as they are the ppl who teach u the basics of life such as learnin to read or learnin to walk

if they did not teach u this then i wud understand if u threw a gift back at them however no parent wud refrain from teachin their child these basic things

Can we stop judging others on the basis of whether they are Amritdhari or not? We should not be so judgemental. KS may not have taken Amrit, but it doesn't mean he cannot comment on Sikh issues, as he is building up to taking it, we should encourage him, he's young and look how knowledgable he is. Keep it up bro!

No one is saying we should not respect our parents, this would be contradicting Sikhi, all we are saying, well I was anyway, that we should hold or attach the same sentimental value to our 5 Ks as we do with gifts from our parents, then everyone would be Amritdhari if you think about it.

Gurfateh