Why do men & women sit separately in the Gurdwara?

Guest Javanmard

Girls sit separate from boys in the Gurdwaras because they're built like Protestant churches!!!!!!!!! Puratan Sikh architecture always had the Guru Granth Sahib in the middle as the axis of the universe and not at the end of the building like a Christian altar. Families used to sit together around the Guru Granth Sahib. Because the Singh Sabha was influenced by British Protestantism they started building Gurdware like churches. It's sad but true. Protestantism with its Puritan values denies the physical aspect of our being.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Javanmard

yes people sat where they wanted. The gurdwaras were built in such a way that there was no gender separation whereas churches have that kind of architecture. A real gurwara should have Guru Granth Sahib in th emiddle of the building as the axis of the universe. A circular strcuture does not imply gender separation

Guest Javanmard

It's not women who should chop parts of their beauty but men who have to disciple their minds. Here is the story of the Kashmiri female saint Lalleshvari: she used to go around naked (naked like the Truth) and people were asking her if she wasn't ashamed because of men looking at her. He replied: I don't see any men. For her a real man was the one who was able to control his mind.

Lust in the eye of the beholder not in the hip trousers or belly tops!

lallaeshwari : I don't see any men. For her a real man was the one who was able to control his mind.

You mean to say that lust is the forte of men only. Woman have no Lust. But pshycology has proved that woman have infact more attraction towards opposite sex than men. Its a scientific fact !! :oops:

But pshycology has proved that woman have infact more attraction towards opposite sex than men. Its a scientific fact !!

:shock: Bhaji, what's your source for that assumption?

Gurfateh

• 2 months later...

LUST and DESIRE are two different things my dear Amans!!! 8)

Lust = sexual desire or strong passionate desire/want :roll:

lust . n. 1 strong sexual desire. 2 a passionate desire for something. . v feel lust for someone or something.

- ORIGIN Old English

Above from Oxford English dictionary.Lalleshvari :roll: :roll: :roll:

You can desire for or lust for anything. :D

Words do have similar meanings you know.Depends on context.Lust doesn't necessarily mean sexual desire, it can also mean to have passionate all-consuming desire for something.

Lust for life, lust for car, lust for money.Give me-give me-give me...I want-I want-I want...must have-must have-must have... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I mean the Indian god of love/sexual desire is called Kaam-Dev, just Eros god of love.

Primary meaning of Kaam is desire/wish.But desire comes in many forms, and one of them is sexual desire.

Guest Javanmard

Interesting you quote the Oxford dictionary because the love/desire vs. lust division is a Victorian inovation.

India does not know this division until the British come! :wink:

Interesting you quote the Oxford dictionary because the love/desire vs. lust division is a Victorian inovation.

India does not know this division until the British come! :wink:

Yes, agreed.However language does change and evolve.There are many English swear words in use today which were considered normal in past history.

Maybe lust only meant sexual desire at one stage.Now though it has dual meaning, just like many other words.

• 2 weeks later...

have u peepz noticed that females tend to sit on the left, while males on the right when comming into the gurdwara?? ?? But if the guru granth sahib was in the middle, there is not real left or real right.....!!! I think it would be cool to have a circular gurdwara, maybe i should build one! Everything would be circular, there are no corners, just unity, balance and no ends....

one