Why do men & women sit separately in the Gurdwara?

Y in Gurdwaras u find dat both men & women sit separately. I feel sitting separately has no meaning. If i had a family i would sit wid my wife and kids on da womens side 2 make sum sort of silent protest or even da otherway around.

Pls tell me y we do dis, and wot is da meaning of doing dis, if ne?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok veer ji,

Let me put it simpler words. As you know Gurdwara is place of worship. Its not for gursikhs but for everyone else as well. Imagine a player sittin down beside nice sikh devtoe female. I mean there is no way we want Romeo-Juliet games in gurdwara. Trust me there are loads of romeo's out there who wouldnt care less about the place of worship. Its already getting worse..havent you seen langar hall (socializing place)????? If that happens it will much worse.

On a side note: I might just sent a email to my local gurdwara to seek seevadars (volunteers) in langar hall to explain the sangat rules and regulations in the place of worship.

men and women never used to sit seperatly before. this was intorduced later.

if we are going to the gurdwara as gursikhs we don't get distracted.

I, on purpose sat on the other side once, but my plans failed, as all the mudeh came and sat with me and all the kuria went to the other side. :x

but, sit where you want, but not in the middle, cos you dont want to create an obsticle course for the oldies.

wjkk,wjkf

men and women never used to sit seperatly before. this was intorduced later

do you know when it was introduced? is it just passed by the individual gurdwara committes or has this code of conduct (if you like) been passed by akaal takhat?

take note that this 'sitting seperate system' is generally chucked out the window when it comes to rainsbai programmes.

plz veer forgive my ignorance.

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

Why people like changes all the time?? Why cant they stick with old traditional sikhi???

I mean you go in gurdwara to pray that should be your concern not little and pitty things like oh how come woman and men dont sit together... oh gosh you guys have really free time to argue over smalll matters...

i think over the yrs its jus become custom for men and women to sit on different sides - if you look at the layout of many gurdwarey abroad you will see that there is a long walkpay up to the golak/palki/shri guru granth sahib

either side there is seating spaces, its just become custom for men to sit on one side and women to sit on the other, no one will say anything if u sit on the wrong side :roll:

kes ghar sahib and shri harmandir sahib doesnt have any separate seating spaces if my memory serves me right, u sit where u get a seat

wjkk,wjkf

N3O veer isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss topics? i admit more important things have been brought up in this forum but Rupz questoin was a fair one. we've been told from the start not to go for the comfortable 'blind faith', there is nothing wrong with knowing the reason behind something.

no offence intended

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

neo....man....i disagree with your last post...i don't think that's cool

how come you're saying it's a small topic.. for that matter, if people are socializing in the langar, what is it to you? why should it matter to you...you're going to gurdwara to pray, are you not? that, by your description, is also a small and petty thing...

if rupz is havin a hard time understanding, or if it hampers his ability to concentrate, or pray if you will... in gurdwara, then it's definitely worth answering his questions.

we've all heard the saying "one mans trash is another mans' treasure".. that saying has NO relevance to this discussion..but i mean....what's small to you, may be big to someone....

no offence intended

gurfateh!

i was in india recently.....i'm not sure any of the big major historical gurdwaras havet hat type of system..i remember walking into rakeb ganj sahib in delhi...and first off it was an incredible feeling.....secondly, everyone was sitting wheeeeeerever they wanted... but in north america, it's segregated....i think our way here is better....haha how wrong does that sound.... but i dunno..no feelings of uncomfort here..

i reckn its best to have women and men sittn separately as that way they can pray widout gettn distracted...and distractions r more likely to occur if women n men r sittin together, also when the darbar gets so full its like ppl r jst sittn newhere and so close to each other...it would be bad if this happened when men and women were sittin mixed...

oh yea i agree wid N3O Singh abt 'Romeos'...cuz therez this guy at my gurdwara he keeps staring at me...its like if i go past him or am eatin langar and hes there, he's lookn...AHH its so damn scary...i dont know wat his prob is and hes monna and im like a dastar girl... :x :roll: wat should i do other than ignore... :|

take note that this 'sitting seperate system' is generally chucked out the window when it comes to rainsbai programmes.

ur right - i've noticed this a lot.

but no-one makes a big brouhaha about it :roll:

( u know brouhaha is actually a real word, we came across it in class :LOL: )

and there are loads of gurudwaras that totally ignore this men-and-women-sit-on-separate-sides thing.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I just got back from a camp and we discussed this issue too...one answer i specifially remember is....

back in the day, when sangat came to see and hear Guru Ji, the males would usually dominate the area all around Guru Ji, therefore, making it hard for women to get the same oportunity to see and hear Guru Ji...

so, the tradition started that males and females sit on different sides so that everyone had a fair chance of meeting and listening to Guru Ji.

there was some other explanation i heard too but i can't remember what it was... :oops:

chardee kalaa

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh