Discrimination Against Sikh Police Officers

SAadmin

It is good he refused to swap his dastar for a helmet, but I don't think going for monetary compensation is the right way to go about this.

The reason for the health and safety laws is the fear of injury claims etc from people who get injured on duty. Maybe he could have offered to sign a waiver, removing all responsiblity for injuries caused due to lack of helmet from the police force.

I agree with you there matheen. Asking for compenesation is wrong way to go about dealing with this issue. As you said, this case is also do with health and safe concerns. He should have tried to sign a waiver stating that he alone is responsible for kind of potential injuries he might face in future for choosing dastar over helmet. There has to be middle ground where both parties can negotiate this case. If other parties main concern is liability over injuries, he should have signed waiver to give them assurances instead of smashing them with a law suit.

The thing is, in this country, when someone takes people to court over racism issues, the only way to hurt them is to claim money. If these sorts of racist attitudes/actions were punishable with prison sentences, we would see a massive change overnight. However, by forcing people to go down the monetary route, it allows the white 'silent' majority to whinge that the victims are after money and that racism doesnt exist etc, which is an attitude I am sick of seeing them have. As for the payout? Nowhere near enough - considering how every white man, woman and child has benefited from what these lot stole from the punjab and then invested in their country. Did my grandfather and grandmother get any money for what they lost in partition thanks to the british? Like hell they did. No sikh should put up with any insolence from these people.

The thing is, in this country, when someone takes people to court over racism issues, the only way to hurt them is to claim money. If these sorts of racist attitudes/actions were punishable with prison sentences, we would see a massive change overnight. However, by forcing people to go down the monetary route, it allows the white 'silent' majority to whinge that the victims are after money and that racism doesnt exist etc, which is an attitude I am sick of seeing them have. As for the payout? Nowhere near enough - considering how every white man, woman and child has benefited from what these lot stole from the punjab and then invested in their country. Did my grandfather and grandmother get any money for what they lost in partition thanks to the british? Like hell they did. No sikh should put up with any insolence from these people.

After reading HSD's post, I agree. Using money as compensation is usually the only way they will learn quit being racist. It sends a message loud and clear that being racist is expensive. When they see they cannot afford being racist they will quit being racist. I also agree with you about our people have lost due to the British policies. We were rulers with our own Raaj, now we are subjects of Delhi. Once Sikhs lived in large numbers in west Punjab, but now we no longer do.

The thing is that these big money payouts hurt them, but they also galvanize public opinion against sikhs. Read the comments on the daily mail site and you will see the never-ending whining that i affectionately describe as 'white noise'. If we could get the culprits sent to prison for racism/intolerance/bullying of different people, we would see a drop in racism. Mind you, these people would then whine that sikhs are imprisoning those whites they dont like and claim racists are just patriots/expressing their right to free speech etc. The more i think about it, the more i think that they will always justify racists for saying in public what they wish they could also get away with saying. These whingers are beginning to get out of hand in britain. Maybe it will all end with 'rivers of blood'. Thanks to attitudes like theirs, i'll make sure i go down fighting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is, the police in the UK seem to consistently get involved in racism/discrimination cases when it comes to "Asian" recruits. A few upna coppers I have spoken to have confirmed that they feel the force is very instituitionally racist. The nastiness often starts from the training stages.

One thing that annoys me (and was alluded to earlier) is how frequently the press in the UK portray the victim as somehow at fault. When I first heard of this case it was in the Metro and was under a heading like "I feel like a right plonker." Overall, the coverage has been less than flattering to the community and generally of the "taking the p*ss" variety.

I think Sikhs are easy targets now as sullah are infinitely more united and dangerous to racist whites, as we all can see.

Goray hate to be exposed for racism and usually try and destroy the accusors character in some way as a defence. I think this has clearly happened in this case.