Do Sikhs Lack Accountability And Play The Victim Card

albcan

a lot of Sikh parents rather then take accountability and say their child messed up they will blame the childs friends

many Sikhs play victim rather then take accountability for situations in their life

you can either be a victim and a by product of your environment

or you can be accountable and have your environment be a by product of you

sikhi teaches people to be accountable for what is going on in their life

but Punjabi culture teaches more victimisation then accountability

for example Punjab drug problem

I believe drugs should be legal and a citizen has the right to choose what they want to do with their bodies

now cause drugs are available does not mean everyone is just going to start doing drugs

if heroin became legal would you run out and by heroin

way I see it if Sikhs were accountable they would wake up and realise this anti Sikh pro Punjabi culture of spoiling boys is the root cause of the drug problem

in Punjab ppl are driven more by Punjabi culture of ego materialism and status over sikhi teaching of character integrity and morals

which leads to many Punjabis saying hey my son doesn't have to work look at me look at the bike I buy him and the wedding I throw that I cannot afford to boost my ego and I higher Bihar workers to work my fields and spoil my boy to boost ego

funny how many spoiled kids screw up their lives

Do Sikhs Lack Accountability And Play The Victim Card

Yes.

We are a cry baby quom now, who doesn't like to face home truths and like to blame everyone but ourselves for our state.

my views are that if you look at the "pends" where the average person is just surviving , there main purpose is to put food on the table and provide for their families. When temperatures raise to 46 degrees F , electricity is cut off , water supplies are low , theres no facilities for the average indian , its all about survival. Where as if the government provided facilites , equality for jobs , a sense of purpose for the average indian to wake up and better his/her life then things would be a lot better knowing support is available. Theres no support , no motivation ..if you have the money then your ok as anything in India can be done with money.

Educate the young so they can take responsibility for their own actions , tell them whats right and wrong , on a certain festival ( cant remeber exactly what) they make "Bhang Wale" pakora now average joe blog wont know whats in the pakora until eaten . Wheres the drugs coming from , need to block the source . Certain drugs make you addicted , so at first the dealers offer it for free , and once hooked , theres no stopping unless forced into rehabilitation , again need to stop the source.

If theres no jobs , no support , no motivation , what do you do

a) get out the country

B) roam around here and there

c) mix in with the wrong crowd ( at least theres something to do)

If you stand up and fight for your rights , since there is so much corruption who can you trust , Police will file false allegations against you if their source of income is threatened and beat you until you are senseless. Where do you go ?, whom do you go to ?

Is it easier and safer just to let things be , just to survive or risk your life to make things better.

my views are that if you look at the "pends" where the average person is just surviving , there main purpose is to put food on the table and provide for their families. When temperatures raise to 46 degrees F , electricity is cut off , water supplies are low , theres no facilities for the average indian , its all about survival. Where as if the government provided facilites , equality for jobs , a sense of purpose for the average indian to wake up and better his/her life then things would be a lot better knowing support is available. Theres no support , no motivation ..if you have the money then your ok as anything in India can be done with money.

Educate the young so they can take responsibility for their own actions , tell them whats right and wrong , on a certain festival ( cant remeber exactly what) they make "Bhang Wale" pakora now average joe blog wont know whats in the pakora until eaten . Wheres the drugs coming from , need to block the source . Certain drugs make you addicted , so at first the dealers offer it for free , and once hooked , theres no stopping unless forced into rehabilitation , again need to stop the source.

If theres no jobs , no support , no motivation , what do you do

a) get out the country

B) roam around here and there

c) mix in with the wrong crowd ( at least theres something to do)

If you stand up and fight for your rights , since there is so much corruption who can you trust , Police will file false allegations against you if their source of income is threatened and beat you until you are senseless. Where do you go ?, whom do you go to ?

Is it easier and safer just to let things be , just to survive or risk your life to make things better.

What about elements of what passes off for Panjabi 'culture'. How much does that erode drive? When parents use children as status symbols, somehow trying to demonstrate just how affluent (read: better) they are by spoiling them rotten, and indoctrinating them with idiotic supremacist identities instead of humility - how much does this play a part? Our egocentrism is at least as big (if not a bigger) cause of our problems as the 'gorement'

What part does making children feel they are somehow 'special' and above certain kinds of work play?

There are plenty of youths from relatively well heeled Sikh landowning families who are smack heads. Blaming 'bhang' is rubbish because look how many people smoke spliffs in London (from office managers to construction workers) and things still get done here. Crying like a baby about 'reservations' is another red herring.

Yeah sure, some people in the pend are just 'surviving' but lets not hide from the fact that a fair few of them are (in relative terms to others around them) from quite privileged backgrounds.

I think what passes off for Panjabi 'culture' these days, with its emphasis on ostentatious shows of wealth and status. Unabashed celebration of alcohol and over spending on weddings. The whole rural 'balle balle' jamboree mentality, in place of anything sophisticated, reserve and anything with depth is a BIG issue. But again, people want to blame everything on outside factors.

The problem is that Sikhs expect others to solve their problems be this the gorement, politicians and whatnot, when the reality is that unless we discard negative, egocentric, wasteful and disharmonious elements of modern Sikh-Panjabi culture we will just continue lagging behind more astute, united, forward thinking communities. The future doesn't lie in the pends - it lays in the cities.

All humans love to play victim card. Sikhs are no different.It is like invaders , Colonisers, , this caste , that religion etc etc O/W our people would have been ruling entire world

That's an overgeneralisation; only a hand full of phudhoos hold onto 'super-race' notions you caricatured above. I'd guess most apnay (with even half a brain) who've grown up in multicultural societies in the west, are probably (uncomfortably) aware of our own communities simple-mindedness and relative lack of sophistication in comparison to many other more developed societies. I'm guessing that is probably why many of our lot cling onto other communities - because they feel that the others might fill the gaps we have in our economic, political, military and intellectual domains.

What I'm trying to get at is that we've disempowered ourselves mentally, and instead of thinking 'we need to bring ourselves to another place as a collective' - we resent the fact that others aren't doing it for us. Most of our problems stem from our own attitudes and actions. We ourselves have fostered and encouraged a shallow society with all manner of negative consequences, but instead of trying steer a better course by promoting/encouraging good practice amongst ourselves whilst relentlessly stamping out backward, imprudent practices - we tolerate it all. Then we cry that it is all the fault of outsiders. We've forgotten our own power.

Edited by dalsingh101

in a democracy its up to the people to make it work

Sikhs vote in corrupt politicians so Sikhs can't play victim card when it comes to govt

in a free market system its up to individuals to create businesses and jobs

Punjab is the largest consumer state in india yet fall behind when it comes to setting up businesses and producing products outside of the farming system

so again Sikhs can't play the victim card especially when they spend more money then any other state yet fail to start businesses

the opportunities in Punjab are huge considering its such a large consumer market but Sikhs won't evolve out of farming

as well Punjab was the richest state in india for so many decades while other states struggled with massive poverty

in the other states like Gujarat the youth are getting educated and started businesses and creating great jobs that employ their pears

yet in Punjab Sikhs play victim card and blame poverty for drug addiction

why are Sikhs so pathetic that in other states were ppl have less opportunity their prospering yet Sikhs who have more opportunities thanks to the green revolution play victim and get hooked on drugs

one of the reasons for drug addiction is Punjabi ego were Sikhs spend huge sums of money on weddings to show off houses and cars to show off and won't let their kids work and higher biharis to do the work

they think making their kids work is below them

and they turn around spoil their kids and the kid is out partying has no fear of consequence's cause their spoiled they start drinking with his pears then before you know it he's an addict and the parents blame everyone else when it is their fault

corrupt govt in Punjab is the Sikhs fault and no one elses for not educating themselves and demanding proper politicans and voting in proper politicans

economy again is fault of Sikhs for falling behind in education spoiling their boys being driven by farming and consumption and not by education and starting up businesses

drug addiction again its the fault of the Sikhs if heroin became legal tomorrow would you go and start doing heroin

I believe drugs should be legalised every were and cause drugs are available does not mean ppl are just going to do them

Sikhs spoil their kids they go party get drunk rather then go to classes and work on the farm and one things leads to drugs and then their addicted

".. the gaps we have in our economic, political, military and intellectual domains"

You should be writing a book mate. very well said. Not many 'Sikh intellectuals' would even acknowledge that the above-listed problems exist forget making efforts to address them.

If someone asks me, you are the most articulate (and balanced) person on this forum.

Thanks for the compliment.

It's a shame I can't say the same about you.

From what I've read of your posts, your ability to critically reflect upon Hindu society stands very close to zero.

You appear to be the Hindu equivalent of the type of retrogressive, ignorant Sikh I detest.

Whilst I try and critique my own community openly and honestly based on my reflections and analysis; you seem to be on some sort of 'PR mission' regarding today's incarnation of Hinduism and modern India with all the politics that goes along with it. Really you are the mirror image of the people you argue with (from Sikh quarters) so vehemently. Both stuck with some warped sense of tribal loyalty that isn't remotely interested in any grander vision.

As far as critiquing 'my own community' is concerned, if this was the forum about Hindus, I would have done that too.

What, and there aren't umpteen Hindu forums for you to do this?

Let me put it this way, let's reverse the scenario:

Now if I knew of a Sikh who was showing up on Hindu forums and trolling them about Hindu shortcomings (I'm sure some exist and may even be doing this as we speak!), I'd very quickly (and rightly) categorise them as straight 'knob-heads'.

How are you any different?

Yes.

We are a cry baby quom now, who doesn't like to face home truths and like to blame everyone but ourselves for our state.

Are you sure?

Sikh/punjabi kom is the most laraakee kom in the world. It is just so shocking to see them how they fight in the gurdwara sahibs, at home in a family set up and so on. They fail to apply their eagerness to fight in the right places where it is needed most. Unbelieveably shocking.

They can't face the home truths because they are not even clever enough to know what they are. Why can't they unite and fight against drug abuse in their kom?

What, and there aren't umpteen Hindu forums for you to do this?

Let me put it this way, let's reverse the scenario:

Now if I knew of a Sikh who was showing up on Hindu forums and trolling them about Hindu shortcomings (I'm sure some exist and may even be doing this as we speak!), I'd very quickly (and rightly) categorise them as straight 'knob-heads'.

How are you any different?

Dekhiya, laraayee hogayee!!

They can't face the home truths because they are not even clever enough to know what they are. Why can't they unite and fight against drug abuse in their kom?

It's more likely to be due to the rampant 'ostrich' mentality amongst our lot; you know bury your head to a problem and pretend it doesn't happen and focus on superficial shite like Mercedes or looking good because you sponsored an Akhand Paat.

Thing that makes me laugh about people like Sher is that they'll jump on our own shortcomings but haven't got the balls to try and rectify the gundh closer to home.

You know the old Panjabi saying about sweeping up under your own bed first......

On reflection I think underlying a lot of the issues at hand here is how humans start to defend certain identity constructs - blindly. When kuttarh Sikhs (usually jats) and Hindus start arguing both essential try and outdo each other in throwing mud. The reality is that both sides have made mistakes and elements in both sides have played the most negative political games based on religious identity and gaining power.

We need to chart a new path forward outside of this destructive shite.

Edited by dalsingh101

Since you are still indulging in the finger-pointing, 'yo-mama' games, the gundh near home belongs to you. Hindus in Punjab are not boycotting dalits. Hindus in Punjab are not indulging in mass female foeticide, bowing to semi-literate clergy which eulogises mass murderers from their pulpits. Hindus are not running with naked swords after marginalised faiths. yes, Hindus in Punjab have "issues" and some of them (very small number) make mistake of mud-slinging too but it has been institutionalised in modern day sikhi. katha vachaks, pathis, 'quack' historians (fresh graduates of Youtube and Facebook universities) ...MUST vilify Hindus, bahmans to prove that the faith of which they are the sole thekedars is better and their history is full of sacrifices which has got india independence, saved Hinduism, saved Hindu girls and all that, to borrow a word from your arsenal, shite.

if you say Hindus should get over their rituals, following every baba, casteism...they should overhaul their faith; totally with you.

Authorities in Batala, a town of Punjab, have partially removed curfew after clashes broke out last February 20 between Hindu extremists and the Christian minority. To violence was sparked by the publication of a cartoon with a picture of Jesus raising a beer in one hand and holding a cigarette in the other. The chief minister of Punjab condemns the blasphemous image and promises an iron fist against anyone who "foments sectarian hatred." Bishop Anil Couto, Bishop of Jalandhar, invites the faithful "to peace and brotherhood."

The cartoon, published by a publisher in Delhi, has sparked protests from the Christian community of Batala, a town in the district of Gurdaspur in Punjab. On 20 February the city streets were the scene of violent clashes between Hindus and Christians, who wanted the closure of shops and businesses. Activists of Bajrang Dal, Vishwa Hindu Parishad and Shiv Sena - Hindu extremist groups - waged a guerrilla war on the Christians, injuring to 10 people, damaging several shops and the burning of the Salvation Army Mukhi Fauj church, the city's oldest and best known.

To stem the violence, local authorities have imposed a curfew, which has been partly removed today. A police official says that they want to give people the possibility to "to leave their homes for shopping or other necessities." He also adds that "the level of alert" remains high to prevent new clashes.

Parkash Singh Badal, Chief Minister of Punjab, has condemned the offensive image and points the finger at "those who do not appreciate peace” and foment sectarian hatred. He adds that the police have recieved well-defined guidelines to "punish those guilty of sacrilege."

Mgr. Anil Couto, Bishop of Jalandhar, appeals for calm and brotherhood. The prelate calls the faithful to practice the teachings of the Gospel, promoting peace and forgiveness, but at the same time points out that too often "provocative actions or images" wound the soul and the religious feelings of Christians. He invites the faithful to "be proud" of their religion, while not forgetting the message "of peace and love brought by Jesus Christ."

I don't know what you are trying to prove but anyway here goes the 4 yr old news from the mainstream media (the one you have given is the Christian version). I have highlighted some relevant parts (christian mob damaged over 50 shops...damage to the church minimal):

Christians, Hindus clash in Batala; curfew clamped
Saturday, 20 February 2010 - 4:36pm IST | Place: Batala | Agency: PTI

Members of the Christian community took out a protest march over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in an allegedly objectionable manner which turned violent.

Members of Christian and Hindu communities clashed and indulged in vandalising public property here today over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in an allegedly objectionable manner, prompting authorities to clamp an indefinite curfew.

Police said members of the Christian community took out a protest march through the town during which some of them turned violent and set afire six two-wheelers, damaged three buses, a shopping mall and around 50 shops in different areas.

They were protesting against the publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in a book by a Delhi-based publisher recently which was reproduced in some newspapers in the state.

Protestors belonging to Hindu community also took to the streets and tried to set on fire a church, police said adding, the damage to the place of worship was minimal as the fire brigade and the police reached the spot in time.

Sub-divisional magistrate Rahul Chabha said curfew has been clamped to maintain law and order. Police patrolling has been intensified and additional personnel deployed.

The building of the Government Primary School in Krishna Nagar area was also damaged, police said.

Clashes took place in nearby Majitha town yesterday over the issue with reports of protestors damaging shops and torching vehicles.

I don't know what you are trying to prove but anyway here goes the 4 yr old news from the mainstream media (the one you have given is the Christian version). I have highlighted some relevant parts (christian mob damaged over 50 shops...damage to the church minimal):

Christians, Hindus clash in Batala; curfew clamped
Saturday, 20 February 2010 - 4:36pm IST | Place: Batala | Agency: PTI

Members of the Christian community took out a protest march over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in an allegedly objectionable manner which turned violent.

Members of Christian and Hindu communities clashed and indulged in vandalising public property here today over publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in an allegedly objectionable manner, prompting authorities to clamp an indefinite curfew.

Police said members of the Christian community took out a protest march through the town during which some of them turned violent and set afire six two-wheelers, damaged three buses, a shopping mall and around 50 shops in different areas.

They were protesting against the publication of a picture of Jesus Christ in a book by a Delhi-based publisher recently which was reproduced in some newspapers in the state.

Protestors belonging to Hindu community also took to the streets and tried to set on fire a church, police said adding, the damage to the place of worship was minimal as the fire brigade and the police reached the spot in time.

Sub-divisional magistrate Rahul Chabha said curfew has been clamped to maintain law and order. Police patrolling has been intensified and additional personnel deployed.

The building of the Government Primary School in Krishna Nagar area was also damaged, police said.

Clashes took place in nearby Majitha town yesterday over the issue with reports of protestors damaging shops and torching vehicles.

My post is rply of your comment that we dont go after people with swords . We Sikhs dont burn churches , mosques and Gurdwaras specially in the name of i god whose birth place is yet to be confirm .

Ha! ...whose birthplace is yet to be confirmed but is everywhere in the 'other' faith's holiest books!!

Grandmother of ironies - Sikhs kill in the name of Gurus who preached about universal brotherhood. They discriminate in the name of faith which says manas ki jaat aik pechanbo!

Yes we kill who wants to kill us and we will continue to do that and its discrimination of your kind that push the Sikhs to arm struggle and it can happened in future too if you people specially so called Punjabi Hindu dont change their attitude .

Who is killing dalits from thousand years ? Who wrote Manu Samriti ? Who created Ranvir Sena ? Who is building mandir of Sati Mata by innocent widows ? i can go on and on . History of your kind is full of this . All Naxalite and Muslim terrorism problem is because of your people and your relegion who discriminate against Dalit, Tribals and Minorities . When are you going to accept it that your Bharat Mata is becoming a shit hole .

Ha! ...whose birthplace is yet to be confirmed but is everywhere in the 'other' faith's holiest books!!

Grandmother of ironies - Sikhs kill in the name of Gurus who preached about universal brotherhood. They discriminate in the name of faith which says manas ki jaat aik pechanbo!

Yes we kill who wants to kill us and we will continue to do that and its discrimination of your kind that push the Sikhs to arm struggle and it can happened in future too if you people specially so called Punjabi Hindu dont change their attitude .

Who is killing dalits from thousand years ? Who wrote Manu Samriti ? Who created Ranvir Sena ? Who is building mandir of Sati Mata by innocent widows ? i can go on and on . History of your kind is full of this . All Naxalite and Muslim terrorism problem is because of your people and your relegion who discriminate against Dalit, Tribals and Minorities . When are you going to accept it that your Bharat Mata is becoming a shit hole .

Same old non-sense, nothing new to offer. i can post 100s of such incidents of atrocities by 'high caste' Sikhs on 'low-caste' sikhs.

who has been killing... i am not sure as i live in 2014 not 714. You always single out Punjabi Hindus for their perceived flaws and insist on posting links about them (like Batala riots which boomranged on u), why mention Bihari bahmans' militia (Ranvir Sena)? what PHs have got to do with Satis? BTW, Maharaja Ranjit Singh's ranis and maids concubines also committed sati when he died, so? PHs also do not have anything to do with Naxalites ...DTMs.

On the other hand, casteism among the Sikh high castes (esp Jats) is so well-entrenched that a Jat (former shudras themselves) in 100s of Punjab vilages would not let dalits cremate their dead in the same cremation grounds. the same pathetic loser has no problem if a Hindu high caste person uses the same shamshan! Similarly, jat would fume but would except if his daughter marries a Hih caste Hinu boy but if she marries a dalit Sikh,

Get your turbaned head out of the sand Mr Ostrich Singh.

Get your shit dot head out of sand and see the reality that you people are the real problem u can drink cow piss but eating from Muslim and dalit house makes you to do vomit . Idiot piss drinker

Edited by amar_jkp

I think there is a strong streak of denial going on in both communities.