Is Naam The Anahad Naad?

not only radhaswamis,udasis,osho,yogis but now many cults are in this belief that naam in shri guru granth sahib is the soundless sound or the anahad naad .onkar is said to be the name of this sound..what are your thoughts guys?

Edited by Sahib

I guess only Guru Parmeshwar Ji and his true bhagats know the answer to this question. This is something to be experienced. Rest we can only give theories by using commentaries of others.

Or this question is pertinent to those who have reached that stage and are in need of guidance as to how to proceed further.

Most Indian religions, sects and cults believe this, yes. In Guru Granth Sahib, Ram naam is the name of the Anhad naad. Onkar is another name. And there are other countless names.

But this is only lip service.To truly understand the answer you have to meditate on Naam, ie do naam simran, and find out yourself!

Guru Ramdas ji says

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਬੋਲਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੋਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

All is ONE, and ONE is ALL

The ONE contemplated itself. It had nothing else to contemplate, and in that contemplation, the 'spark' of creation.

The ONE we know is formless, yet possesses all forms. How can this be?

If we look at quantum physics, we know that the base of all the Universe is vibration... pure frequency.

Light, heat, radio, radiation, colour, sound, even matter itself all exists through vibration. Thought too, is pure frequency and brainwaves can be measured by EEG.

Why is this important? The clues MUST be within the Universe itself... consciousness, is formless, yet can possess all forms (dreams, imagery, thought, creativity) Thoughts do not take up 'space' they create space (imagine yourself dreaming, how can you quantify the space your dream takes?)

This is important, because the base of all existence is pure frequency. At the lowest end is said to be sound... Every major religion in the world, speaks of a primal sound or 'word' that created the Universe. Most go beyond that and say that the word or sound itself IS God.

My thoughts on anahad naad, is that it's the direct experience of this primal 'sound' - which goes way beyond simply hearing a sound... as you yourself are created into existence by this same force, then the experience going within and interacting directly with the source, is overwhelming. It's not just hearing something, but actually experiencing the base truth of existence. And that truth is ONEness. That everything we know as matter, separateness, even our own identity is an illusion. It's no longer belief... it's knowing.

By going within, you are actually dissolving the illusion and discovering the truth of your existence. You do hear an audible sound... which itself is indescribable, and I have only gotten to this stage and also OBEs, but beyond this is only actually merging with it. Laying down your whole built up identity and becoming one with it. I have not reached that stage.

These thoughts are only my own, I in no way purport to be any sort of expert...

I am not doubting anything or else..i too believe its better to be practical and meditate rather than getting into philosophies..i just wanted to know your what you guys conclude so far.

So what you all mean is that naam it is is something very deep.and anahad naad is just the part of the naam..

when i read sggs even i feel like naam is been refered to the very lord 'the source of bliss..i

Only a person who makes it to the finishing line and been through all the stages can answer that question Sahib.

I'm now beginning to understand that true anhad sounds are very powerful, loud and distinct. They are not the subtle background sounds we hear from time to time but you can use them as indicators that your mind is becoming more and more still.

Totally agree.

Because there is no one single definition to describe naam, shabad and naad,.. they are sometimes used interchangeably.

Lucky bhaji as I understand it, the meaning of naam, shabad and naad is name, word and sound current, respectively. They is obviously more to it, in guru granth sahib these words become loaded with certain concepts, but I don't think the base meaning ever changes. Can you share some examples where the base meaning is different?

But its also mentioned to chant the name..naam japna..so sometimes it also mean gurmantar...they are some saints like ishar singh who say that it is good to concentrate on initial sounds.but i ve also met one saint who used to say that these sounds a re disturbing..and they distract you from the jap..

Edited by Sahib

But its also mentioned to chant the name..naam japna..so sometimes it also mean gurmantar...

Sahib, calling the name a gurmantar doesn't change the definition of name.

they are some saints like ishar singh who say that it is good to concentrate on initial sounds.but i ve also met one saint who used to say that these sounds a re disturbing..and they distract you from the jap..

Both are correct for different reasons.

FK077AIFR12319A.MEDIUM.gif

Imagine the Y axis is the depth of concentration, how deeply you focus on the mantra.

And X is the breadth of concentration, this is exploring phenomenon that arises.

Sant Ishar Singh ji is correct to say that it is good to explore the phenomenon that arise in the space of one's consciousness. (travelling on the X axis)

The other saint is also correct to say that is is good to deepen the space of one's consciousness. (travelling on the Y axis)

However...

You don't want to get stuck exploring the X axis when you think you are going deep into Y. And similarly, you don't want to get stuck going deeper into Y axis thinking you are exploring the X. You gotta be able to recognize where you stand. Only you can be the judge of your own progress and you have to learn to make the distinction. This is part of the learning process.

I have an analogy.

If you go into a jungle and you see a cave. Going in the cave is Y, and exploring the jungle is X. Both are good but....

...you should know where you are on the map!

Does that make sense?

Ya..the initial sounds are just helpful for concentration...anhad sounds are loud and uplifiting ..they uplift your surt very fast in sukhmana nadi which gives us a flying like sensation

Thanks you ji for your post...

i have read many other posts from people wondering if they are hearing anhad sounds, they are not sure so they concentrate on some of them and it gives a blissful experience and seems to take you deeper into meditation (concentration), others wonder in meditation to various parts of the head...

many sounds can be heard..giving signs that i am progressing...but then out of the blue appear other sounds like you describe...for me they were loud also and they grab hold of your attention and pull you up very fast....upon hearing no one will need to ask the question any further of it's significance...these sounds are just different...like a speeding train shooting past you, and you stick your arm out (attention) and grab hold of handle on the train, and it just takes you away :)

Ego says "I have achieved this, Ego says i found the sound myself" so we try to replicate, try all sorts....meditation starts to become a mental exertion again...bringing frustration at times...when in fact i have found a heartfelt ardaas, and just surrendering yourself to the power that be has bought me closer to Guru Ji...

No power to speak, no power to keep silent. No power to beg, no power to give. No power to live, no power to die. No power to rule, with wealth and occult ...no power to gain intuitive understanding, spiritual wisdom and understanding....

Edited by chzS1ngh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just want to add some words in this disscussion.i really know nothing and have not experienced this yet.but i read somewhere that a stage comes where you need a guru to hold you and to reach where you want to go.i am highly confused here.i mean there we'll meet that purkh?? Please do help me in this??as it's said little knowledge is dangerous..so i want to get familiar with it..

To put it in simple small words...............

We don't need no master or physical guide to help,hold and guide us at further stages..

ALL we need and should be looking for is the SHABAD.

The Shabad IS the Guru.

Guru Nanak ji told the yogis 'shabad guru surat dhun chela'....when they asked young guruji who his master guru was.

However, if we are blessed with his kirpa and baksh...and may need a guide to hold our hands across the turbulent world ocean, then Nanak ji himself will give you his darshan.

Yes,Nanak ji can give us darshan.I know it sounds easy but..Can you please add more about shabad..I do know little about it,but hard to say unless it's experienced.Shabad starts listening at it's own after an appropriate stage or waheguru is the shabad??

I know my question makes no sense ,but i need views to make my doubts clear.

Edited by sukrit kaur

Yes,Nanak ji can give us darshan.I know it sounds easy but..Can you please add more about shabad..I do know little about it,but hard to say unless it's experienced.Shabad starts listening at it's own after an appropriate stage or waheguru is the shabad??

I know my question makes no sense ,but i need views to make my doubts clear.

The shabad (word) is His name 'Waheguru', into which you are supposed to focus on with your whole mind.

If you can find a physical guru, that's awesome too because they can give advice for your particular case. They can tell you what you need to hear. So how do you recognize a guru? Anyone to whom you listen to, who takes you deeper into your consciousness, is a guru.

The shabad (word) is His name 'Waheguru', into which you are supposed to focus on with your whole mind.

If you can find a physical guru, that's awesome too because they can give advice for your particular case. They can tell you what you need to hear. So how do you recognize a guru? Anyone to whom you listen to, who takes you deeper into your consciousness, is a guru.

This is the point where i get confused."physical guru" means other than guru granth sahib ji?I know there are answers of all questions in guru granth sahib ji,but without his bliss it's very difficult to understand all.So,there are lot of questions in my mind.I try to meditate,but such queries are restricting me.I mean I get scared while meditating.So,should i focus on waheguru? It will happen on it's own?In gurbani there is lot of stress at many places about NAAM.I know it's hard to say anything unless experienced. I hope waheguru ji will make my doubts clear .. Edited by sukrit kaur

I know there are so many questions.

My easiest piece of advice would be to start doing regular simran with waheguru jap.

Ideally most of us that speak on here have started with the saas graas and saas saas jugtees(techniques)

It really doesn't matter what technique you use as long as you get to that internal discipline of steadying your mind(from jumping to thoughts) and japping internally with the mind.

Eventually;-(if you already haven't)..you will begin to fall in love with the waheguru gurmantar.

Whilst doing this it is important to be listening, listening and listening...to just listen to yourself inside doing the jap.

It is when you start listening to your sukham(subtle) self whilst doing jap...that waheguru begins to manifest within.

Yes,i appreciate what you adviced..I hope waheguru ji will show his kirpa..

This is the point where i get confused."physical guru" means other than guru granth sahib ji?I know there are answers of all questions in guru granth sahib ji,but without his bliss it's very difficult to understand all.So,there are lot of questions in my mind.I try to meditate,but such queries are restricting me.I mean I get scared while meditating.So,should i focus on waheguru? It will happen on it's own?In gurbani there is lot of stress at many places about NAAM.I know it's hard to say anything unless experienced. I hope waheguru ji will make my doubts clear ..

I mean a person-Guru. But really anyone, any place and anything can be a guru if it takes you deeper within your consciousness.

What do you mean you get scared while meditating. Scared of what?

I mean a person-Guru. But really anyone, any place and anything can be a guru if it takes you deeper within your consciousness.

What do you mean you get scared while meditating. Scared of what?

It's a very different kind of fear.I mean whenever i try to meditate i feel like my body is going to vibrate.I know it's the fear of mind, but it's still here.