http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-29306271

ndia's maiden mission to Mars has "entered the Martian neighbourhood", its space agency says, 48 hours before its planned arrival in orbit.

Launched last November, the spacecraft - known informally as Mangalyaan - will complete a 300-day journey to reach the orbit on Wednesday.

If it succeeds, India will become the fourth country in the world to claim a successful Mars mission.

US, Russia and the European space agency already have probes there.

"Our navigator's calculations shows that the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) has entered the gravitational sphere of the influence of Mars," the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) tweeted on Monday.

Science journalist Pallava Bagla told the BBC the gravity of Mars had now "started acting on the orbiter and it would gather more speed" ahead of its planned entry into the orbit of the Red Planet.

Regional space race

Later on Monday, India's space scientists successfully started the spacecraft's idling main engine for four seconds to test their efficiency.

_77733080_078f7c31-4618-4faf-a30a-226c46The probe is being tracked by scientists and engineers in Bangalore

The engine will be fired to slow down the spacecraft, enabling it to be captured by the planet's gravity and place it into Martian orbit.

The 1,350kg (2,976lb) spacecraft is equipped with five instruments including a sensor to track methane or marsh gas - a possible sign of life, a colour camera and a thermal imaging spectrometer to map the surface and mineral wealth of the planet. The mission will also analyse the thin Martian atmosphere.

Separately, the US space agency Nasa's latest Mars satellite arrived successfully in the Mars orbit on Monday after its 10-month journey.

India's Mars Mission is being seen as the latest salvo in a burgeoning space race between the Asian powers of India, China, Japan, South Korea and others.

At $72m (£43m), India's Mars mission is comparatively cheap, but some commentators have still questioned whether a country with one of the highest rankings for childhood malnutrition in the world should be spending millions on a mission to the Red Planet.

Congratulations to all Hindus everywhere!

Mangalyaan is officially in the orbit of Mars. And a very special congrats to my brahmin community. You guys did it again! This small group of

largely brahmins at ISRO found water on the moon and now sending this satellite 330 million km to Mars on a shoestring budget.

This little 2% community never ceases to amaze me.

India has one third of world's poorest, says World Bank

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/10003228/India-has-one-third-of-worlds-poorest-says-World-Bank.html

Rather than this foki mashoori wouldn't you be more proud if India actually managed to eradicate the poverty of over half it's population rather than sending a mission to Mars?

India has one third of world's poorest, says World Bank

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/10003228/India-has-one-third-of-worlds-poorest-says-World-Bank.html

Rather than this foki mashoori wouldn't you be more proud if India actually managed to eradicate the poverty of over half it's population rather than sending a mission to Mars?

You have a good point there.

regardless wherever india stands.. atleast from the point of view of space missions.. India needs appreciation.

CONGRAAATS to all Indians and the team which showed the hardship and dedication for this mission.

The whole mission cost was less than the cost of movie "gravity" !!!!

i did engineering and i remember when myself and my team had to spend countless nights just to program a dumb robot's movement..lol

Except, India's space expertise and low cost is set to make it billions over the next few years in worldwide orders. I'm sure that will help your poverty concern.

Additionally, the satellite program has greatly helped farmers by predicting weather patterns and sending it straight to your phone. Natural disasters? Yes, the space program has improved fibre optics, defence, created jobs, partnerships and improved disaster preperation.

I notice a hint of jealousy. And that was the whole purpose of the thread and specially congratulating Hindus.

I say if you are so concerned about poverty then donate your salaries, land, cars, houses, massive gurudwaras. But I know you won't because it requires more than lip service.

Congratulations Hindus.

regardless wherever india stands.. atleast from the point of view of space missions.. India needs appreciation.

CONGRAAATS to all Indians and the team which showed the hardship and dedication for this mission.

The whole mission cost was less than the cost of movie "gravity" !!!!

i did engineering and i remember when myself and my team had to spend countless nights just to program a dumb robot's movement..lol

Yes, this was done on a shoe string budget and will open up Indian capabilities in this area and hopefully rake in massive profits. The cost of

the entire program was a measly 67 million compared to the America probe to Mars which landed yesterday (Maven) and cost nearly 670

million dollars.

"ISRO has applied its technology to "telemedicine", directly connecting patients in rural areas to medical professionals in urban locations via satellites.[71] Since high-quality healthcare is not universally available in some of the remote areas of India, the patients in remote areas are diagnosed and analysed by doctors in urban centres in real time via video conferencing.[71] The patient is then advised medicine and treatment.[71] The patient is then treated by the staff at one of the 'super-specialty hospitals' under instructions from the doctor.[71] Mobile telemedicine vans are also deployed to visit locations in far-flung areas and provide diagnosis and support to patients.[71]

ISRO has also helped implement India's Biodiversity Information System, completed in October 2002.[73] Nirupa Sen details the programme: "Based on intensive field sampling and mapping using satellite remote sensing and geospatial modelling tools, maps have been made of vegetation cover on a 1 : 250,000 scale. This has been put together in a web-enabled database which links gene-level information of plant species with spatial information in a BIOSPEC database of the ecological hot spot regions, namely northeastern India,Western Ghats, Western Himalayas and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. This has been made possible with collaboration between the Department of Biotechnology and ISRO."[73]

The Indian IRS-P5 (CARTOSAT-1) was equipped with high-resolution panchromatic equipment to enable it for cartographic purposes.[10] IRS-P5 (CARTOSAT-1) was followed by a more advanced model named IRS-P6 developed also for agricultural applications.[10] The CARTOSAT-2 project, equipped with single panchromatic camera which supported scene-specific on-spot images, succeed the CARTOSAT-1 project.[74]"

The space programme with satellites might be of benefit but sending a probe to Mars ;

But critics questioned why India spends so much on a space programme when so many of its people live in poverty. One economist condemned the space mission as a ‘delusional quest for superpower status’ at a time when half of Indian children are malnourished.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767471/India-triumphs-maiden-Mars-mission.html#ixzz3EIRfgx1T
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Also why only congratulations to Hindus? Did you miss the Sikh in the picture.

This is like asking why plush Gurdwaras when there are so many issues ...no end to such arguements.

The space programme with satellites might be of benefit but sending a probe to Mars ;

But critics questioned why India spends so much on a space programme when so many of its people live in poverty. One economist condemned the space mission as a ‘delusional quest for superpower status’ at a time when half of Indian children are malnourished.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767471/India-triumphs-maiden-Mars-mission.html#ixzz3EIRfgx1T

This is like asking why plush Gurdwaras when there are so many issues ...no end to such arguements.

Apples and oranges my friend. The government is elected to solve the problems of the people. Having a plush Gurdwara does not mean that some Sikhs are starving as a direct result. Having a government such as India trying to match countries who have social welfare systems in their countries which means that no one dies of hunger in their countries is an issue.

Though India says its Mars mission is the cheapest inter-planetary mission ever to have been undertaken in half a century of space exploration, some are questioning its scientific purpose.

"This is a highly suboptimal mission with limited scientific objectives," says D Raghunandan of Delhi Science Forum, a think tank.

Others like economist-activist Jean Dreze have said the mission "seems to be part of the Indian elite's delusional quest for superpower status".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24547892

Edited by tonyhp32

Superpower? 230 million Indians go hungry daily

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Superpower-230-million-Indians-go-hungry-daily/articleshow/11494502.cms

Maybe the Hindu fascists who always like to do better than Pakistan might make an attempt at solving the issue of 230m hungry Indians if they knew that Pakistan does better than India. Sudan does better than India, Salay superpower banan de supne lainday ney

With 21% of its population undernourished, nearly 44% of under-5 children underweight and 7% of them dying before they reach five years, India is firmly established among the world's most hunger-ridden countries. The situation is better than only Congo, Chad, Ethiopia or Burundi, but it is worse than Sudan, North Korea, Pakistan or Nepal.

Hahaha! pathetic response.

what kind of Gursikh is this - only worried about the starving Sikhs! How about the other suffering multitude?

Having a Bahman like you must have brought the average Bahman IQ down to single figures! The government is elected to take care of the people's needs. The whole idea of paying taxes is that the government will takes that to then provide services and provide security to the people. The Gurdwara is there to provide a place of worship, a place for Sangat and Pangat. You might have a point if a Plush Gurdwara is built where there is no sangat around and the area has a large number of starving people

supne naee jealous monkey, it's a reality. Name one major economy which is not courting India today. Biggest power of india - its markets. china, usa, Uk Japan everyone wants a piece of this pie.

Na jaliya kar aina

So China won't attack India because it enjoys such a big trade deficit with India! What a joker you are, maybe that is the Hindustani cowards strategy, allow China to dump their cheap goods in India and don't allow the inferior Indian goods to be sent to China and then the Chinese won't teach the Hindustanis a sharp lesson like they did in 1962. A great defence strategy. China is so far ahead of India in development that India is like a leper chasing after a Usain Bolt trying to beat him a 100 metre race! Give up your fantasies of being a superpower, the Chinese are already on their way to overtaking the USA. India can't even feed 40% of it's people.

Edited by tonyhp32

You got to be kidding me; you are using Daily mail as your reputable source to back your statement.

The most right wing newspaper in the UK.

I do agree, Indian government do need to prioritise their spending, while millions of Indians die of disease and starvation.

May be investing some money in birth control and decreasing their population.

Edited by Kulsingh5

Nothing wrong with dreaming and trying. It's no different than a young, poor student trying to become a doctor. You live in la la land I guess even dreaming and striving is a sin in your world.

Obviously, you have not read your history either because up until about 20 years ago china was in the same boat as India. The colonialists destroyed it and the Chinese were called the "sick man of Asia" and we're generally thought that the Chinese civilization would not amount to anything. They too were living in a delusional world unless of course you think the Chinese and Americans were born superpowers from the womb.

Pakistanis like yourself need to stop marrying your own sisters first, and then you too will become a responsible power.

As for not having toilets in India, my simple response to that why do we need toilets when we have one giant Islamic toilet to the west of us.

I'm not defending India, but from a historical perspective maybe we can draw links between the period when Britain was rapidly becoming a 'superpower' (1800s) and was 'acquiring' huge amounts of wealth from abroad. All the while 'Dickensian poverty' was rife.

There is a good argument for those who wonder about India's priorities given the unbelievable scale of poverty there, but then again, if we look at past examples, other powerful nations first built up lots of wealth and THEN after applied it to improve their societies with welfare, free education, health care etc. In the meanwhile they had plenty of Oliver Twists. Hell, let's not overlook the fact that America itself has a pretty horrendous medical system for the poor - and look how hard Republicans fight to keep that as it is.

The real question is whether India really has a genuine concern for its most vulnerable members of society? And even if this isn't the case, it isn't an opportunity for certain apnay to start pointing fingers when our own well to do don't exactly seem overly concerned about seriously helping the poorest, most discriminated people in our own society.

Nothing wrong with dreaming and trying. It's no different than a young, poor student trying to become a doctor. You live in la la land I guess even dreaming and striving is a sin in your world.

Obviously, you have not read your history either because up until about 20 years ago china was in the same boat as India. The colonialists destroyed it and the Chinese were called the "sick man of Asia" and we're generally thought that the Chinese civilization would not amount to anything. They too were living in a delusional world unless of course you think the Chinese and Americans were born superpowers from the womb.

Pakistanis like yourself need to stop marrying your own sisters first, and then you too will become a responsible power.

As for not having toilets in India, my simple response to that why do we need toilets when we have one giant Islamic toilet to the west of us.

Let's see since the 23rd of September when you a Hindustani monkey posted your jingoistic post congratulating other Hindus over 28,000 Indians have died of hunger. That's 7,000 Indians each day since this Tuesday. If you really want to know the enormity of the situation there have been 1.6 million Indian deaths due to hunger since the vain and egotistical attempt at a Mars mission took off.

Now I assume you will be congratulating the families of these people on the great achievement

Let's see since the 23rd of September when you a Hindustani monkey posted your jingoistic post congratulating other Hindus over 28,000 Indians have died of hunger. That's 7,000 Indians each day since this Tuesday. If you really want to know the enormity of the situation there have been 1.6 million Indian deaths due to hunger since the vain and egotistical attempt at a Mars mission took off.

Now I assume you will be congratulating the families of these people on the great achievement

I wonder how much money the gurudwaras raked in during this time...hmmmm..probably more than 67 million I suspect. Care to donate this money to the poor? That is what the gurus would have wanted, no?

Afterall, it's the religions that say "service to humanity above everything" or other nice and tidy slogans. Now step up. Or is it just lip service as your drive around in your BMWs and chase money and careers.

The ironic part is that you are now sitting on your computer, using the internet, fibre optics and technology that were created from scientific endevour. Ever stop and think how many people died while you were using this technology? What a hypocrite.

Looooser!

BTW, 120 million Chinese are still under the poverty line fool!

Facts are facts, just because it is the Daily Mail doesn't change the fact that the Indian elite are spending millions on the Mars mission in a delusion quest to become a superpower.

Yes, Facts are facts but how does it effect you how India spends its money. India is a democracy and its in their right to spend the money as they wish.

Same can be said about the US, billions of dollars spent on the space race but people still live in poverty.

The UK spent huge amount of money fighting wars in the middle east but still many families are relying on food banks for their next meal.

You mentioned Indian elites, in the UK, Britain's richest 1% have accumulated as much wealth as the poorest 55% of the population put together. There is a big issue in the UK regarding housing, 9% of population own 44% of the housing in the UK.

The elites problem is not only in India, its in the world.

Yes, Facts are facts but how does it effect you how India spends its money. India is a democracy and its in their right to spend the money as they wish.

All I can say to that is, what a heartless bast*ard you are. You are ok with a govt spending millions on a jingoistic space mission while 7,000 if its citizens die of hunger.

No one dies in the UK from hunger whereas as 7,000 people do everyday in India. If you want to compare the Gurdwaras to the Indian govt, well every day hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are fed by Gurdwaras around the world. No one dies of hunger where there is a local Gurdwara.

How many langars does the Indian govt have? You are right there are foodbanks in the UK as well as soup kitchens so how many are there in India? The fact is that the Indian govt has enough money and resources to eliminate hunger in India. It chooses not to because it is more concerned with pursuing an egotistical dream of becoming a superpower which it will never become.

Now think again of what I wrote in my previous post. 7,000 Indians will die again today and everyday from now from hunger. Rather than agreeing with me that the Indian govt needs to fight hunger you are more concerned with showing

The internet was created in the west and did not entail the govts of the west prioritising this technology against feeding their hungry. No one died of hunger so that the internet could be created.

Disparities exist in all countries, but people do not starve because a small percentage in the west have the most wealth. I am writing about people dying of hunger not about disparities of housing stock ownership.

BTW, 120 million Chinese are still under the poverty line fool!

Wow what a great response! The Chinese should also be doing more about their poverty problem just as the Indian govt should. The poverty rate is 7% in China which is about 97M people. It India 270M live below the poverty line. One the few statistics that Indian beats the Chinese hands down.

All I can say to that is, what a heartless bast*ard you are. You are ok with a govt spending millions on a jingoistic space mission while 7,000 if its citizens die of hunger.

No one dies in the UK from hunger whereas as 7,000 people do everyday in India. If you want to compare the Gurdwaras to the Indian govt, well every day hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are fed by Gurdwaras around the world. No one dies of hunger where there is a local Gurdwara.

How many langars does the Indian govt have? You are right there are foodbanks in the UK as well as soup kitchens so how many are there in India? The fact is that the Indian govt has enough money and resources to eliminate hunger in India. It chooses not to because it is more concerned with pursuing an egotistical dream of becoming a superpower which it will never become.

Now think again of what I wrote in my previous post. 7,000 Indians will die again today and everyday from now from hunger. Rather than agreeing with me that the Indian govt needs to fight hunger you are more concerned with showing

The internet was created in the west and did not entail the govts of the west prioritising this technology against feeding their hungry. No one died of hunger so that the internet could be created.

Disparities exist in all countries, but people do not starve because a small percentage in the west have the most wealth. I am writing about people dying of hunger not about disparities of housing stock ownership.

Wow what a great response! The Chinese should also be doing more about their poverty problem just as the Indian govt should. The poverty rate is 7% in China which is about 97M people. It India 270M live below the poverty line. One the few statistics that Indian beats the Chinese hands down.

Except, a chinese worshipper like yourself fails to realize the cost of such rapid growth (Great Leap Forward 40-45 million dead) starved and shot, strict one child policy ( forced abortions, babies killed at birth by the government, sterilized) , complete removal of religion and environmental damage not seen before in history.

Would you like this for your community? Probably not.

I like China though. They just signed a deal with ISRO for joint ventures. The aim is to improve remote sensing and disaster preparation.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/After-Mars-its-China-for-India-Kathakali-for-Isro-chief/articleshow/43069954.cms

As for the internet, some person somewhere decided to make an investment rather than feed the poor not knowing the full potential of this area to improve commerce, communication and create jobs.

Social welfare programs and dhan don't solve poverty issues at least not long term. It's done by creating jobs.

The intention of such programs are to provide basic needs in the short term and self-sufficiency in the long-term. Creating jobs by itself won't acheive anything. Germany tried this and failed.

without stooping down to your crass level and use slur words for your types,

whats this, a new sher?

The real question is whether India really has a genuine concern for its most vulnerable members of society?

I dont think so, given the history of india since 1947. India's recent genuine concerns is about its self-image in the international world.

I would never choose a space program over the deaths of 1.6 million people, and I think its a sad situation where india would prefer to brush such figures under the carpet, to receive false accolades from the international community. But thats india.