High Blood Pressure and Jaap

Keep the breathing slow and natural so you don't exert any pressure on the heart.

​I agree. Slow your breathing as much as naturally possible. It will take the strain off your heart. I find this naturally happens when you do simran. 

You should also exercise to keep your heart healthy, that will fix your BP. Do lots of walking, weight lifting and some high-intensity cardio.

​This is an interesting topic. I've met older weight-trainers who've told me that they can't do weights anymore.

Sorry, my last post was VERY unclear. 

I meant that I've met older ex-bodybuilders/weight trainers who can't train with heavy weights any more because of high blood pressure.

For people just getting into fitness I'd recommend calisthenics i.e. using your own body weight to train as in push ups, dips, pull ups, chin ups, squats  etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7-SO7TsoE 

Yes exactly this is the same I'm going through these days.If one's heart beat and pulse rate increases ,then it's quite difficult to do saas graas.So,I think it's somewhere beneficial too.In this case,we can better do jaap in mind. 

If there are any ways to continue verbal jaap in such situations,then it would be a pleasure to hear from sangat.

Gur fateh!!

I meant that I've met older ex-bodybuilders/weight trainers who can't train with heavy weights any more because of high blood pressure.

​Do you mean that they can't "strain" by doing heavy weights ??......would agree here.

You know, they can't even risk to be 'constipated'....because that too can involve some 'straining'  lol ;)

Anyway, I think the trainers advice is usually to start off with cardio and gradually increase heart rate and then do weights......This way, the glycogen and energy stores go directly towards weight bearing muscles....plus - you should be warmed up before weights.

I would suggest that anyone with HR and BP problems to at least do high intensity cardio about 3x/week.........Talk to a trainer so that you know how to monitor.

Jaap and steady sehaj should help you 'lower' and calm your heart rate. -(I've measured mine to decrease by 20 beats/min quite easily) ....at the same time your breaths should become shallow and longer.

Jaap and steady sehaj should help you 'lower' and calm your heart rate. -(I've measured mine to decrease by 20 beats/min quite easily) ....at the same time your breaths should become shallow and longer.

Did you mean deeper and longer?

Did you mean deeper and longer?

​The deeper breaths are in earlier stage.  The breath in more relaxed stage-when jap is purely internal ...then the breath gets very shallow-ie. movement of chest will be very slight but very slow at the same time. (At this stage HR will decrease - It can also be done at will by yogis)

I take long slow breaths (inward through nose), pause slightly  and then exhale outward via mouth. I'd say it was deep breathing.

Whenever I've had a blood pressure test I've generally gone into a slight meditation mode with my breathing (don't know if this is a good thing?) whilst strapped up: the readings always been good?