Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

5 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Check the use by date on the crea if it's an old batch. Make sure it ain't well past it's date. 

Should have made it clearer the creatine is a new purchase.

Is anybody here an "ectomorph" ? If so how did you structure your training program?

On 03/04/2016 at 2:55 PM, Singh123456777 said:

I come back from India and this topic has gone to hell lol. What the f happened? Why did raag mala change his name to gunhagar? Why are Gurpreet and samurai fighting?

You know bache biggar jande jado bapu di jutti nahi disdi.

On 04/04/2016 at 1:37 PM, paapiman said:

Some of the stuff which was said in this thread should had stayed private or confidential.

I agree, if someone tells someone something personal, it's unwise to share it.

On 4/10/2016 at 7:58 PM, chatanga1 said:

Is anybody here an "ectomorph" ? If so how did you structure your training program?

If you're an ectomorph, you should focus on muscle building. So you want a lot of emphasis on weights. You don't have to start heavy but you should be mentally prepared to get to heavy weight over time. Also time your meals (incl protein shakes) right so that any protein gets used to rebuild and repair your muscle. 

Where would you train? At the gym or at home? What kind of equipment do you have access to? 

35 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

@dalsingh101

Exhausted?

Were you getting enough Iron in your diet?

Think so, I was having a decent amount of iron rich food. 

Might have been the lack of creatine?

Or not having the full range of amino acids from the veg protein? My muscle mass definitely decreased significantly. So that means my body was cannibalising my muscle to feed itself. 

I mean if I never trained during the diet (like I presume you live?) I'm sure I would have had a lot more energy.

I'm not sure I liked how it made me feel mentally either. Made me feel like a genteel faggot to be honest. We've got enough of them in our community as it is. No need to add to them. lol

Each to their own. If a veg diet is working for you, good for you. 

31 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

My muscle mass definitely decreased significantly.

By how much?

And how do you know if it was muscle mass and not fat?

And what about strength? See any difference in the weights you were able to lift?

Made me feel like a genteel faggot to be honest.

It's just you. You seemed a bit more sane, a bit more spacious (Tolle). I think your original nature might be Rajas, so veg diet might have balanced you out. Either that or you just changed over 3 years. or some other factor.

Or nothing happened and we are just kidding ourselves.

I was having a decent amount of iron rich food. 

What kind of iron-rich foods?

20 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

By how much?

And how do you know if it was muscle mass and not fat?

And what about strength? See any difference in the weights you were able to lift?

It's just you. You seemed a bit more sane, a bit more spacious (Tolle). I think your original nature might be Rajas, so veg diet might have balanced you out. Either that or you just changed over 3 years. or some other factor.

Or nothing happened and we are just kidding ourselves.

What kind of iron-rich foods?

I'm leanish dude, I don't have excessive amount of churbee going on, it was mainly muscle mass. A few independent people who know me confirmed this too. 

Strength losses were majorly significant. I'd say by the end of the month I was doing about half the reps I was beforehand (so if I was doing 10/12 reps previously I was now doing 5/7 reps).  

Anyway, why you so bothered, you don't even train regularly??? 

I think pacifists might talk of others being be more' sane' and 'spacious' because they are terrified of going places that appear to be 'insane' to them. It's just people's upbringing and nature. No big mystery. You could do with a  big dose of rajas yourself mate, it'll make you more masculine. 

Anyway, I've said all I need to about the diet. 

I'd prefer to keep it about training and diet experiences now. 

Did you read that thread about Guru Gobind Singh ji and Rai Singh btw? 

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

If you're an ectomorph, you should focus on muscle building. So you want a lot of emphasis on weights. You don't have to start heavy but you should be mentally prepared to get to heavy weight over time. Also time your meals (incl protein shakes) right so that any protein gets used to rebuild and repair your muscle.

I've noticed that in the last week since taking creatine, I feel more alive. Before that time, there was many moons where I had to force myself to the garage although this also has something to do with the winter months as I suffer from SAD and it seems to get worse every year. But at the moment the better weather and the creatine have produced a very noticeable change.

I tend to change my routine around every now and then, from medium weights/high reps/medium sets to heavy weights/low reps/low sets. I don't use low weights/high reps/high sets at all as I feel they do absolutely nothing for me.

I was only taking protein (supplement) on training days, but have now extended it to most days now.

I am also doing a lot of stretching at the moment as I was wanting to meditate in "Budh-asan" but feel it may be beyond me. Can anyone here sit in this asan?

Where would you train? At the gym or at home? What kind of equipment do you have access to? 

I train at home. I have a small multigym with pulldown bar/flyes/leg extension. I have a another bench for free-lifting weights. I have 2 barbells, 1 e-z curl bar, 2 dumbell sets and about 80 kg in weights mainly iron discs, with a few of the plastic ones.

I was thinking about getting a dipping station but the good ones are quite expensive, around £150. Cheapo ones at around 60-70 £ on ebay but they seem really naff.

1 hour ago, chatanga1 said:

I've noticed that in the last week since taking creatine, I feel more alive. Before that time, there was many moons where I had to force myself to the garage although this also has something to do with the winter months as I suffer from SAD and it seems to get worse every year. But at the moment the better weather and the creatine have produced a very noticeable change.

I tend to change my routine around every now and then, from medium weights/high reps/medium sets to heavy weights/low reps/low sets. I don't use low weights/high reps/high sets at all as I feel they do absolutely nothing for me.

I was only taking protein (supplement) on training days, but have now extended it to most days now.

I am also doing a lot of stretching at the moment as I was wanting to meditate in "Budh-asan" but feel it may be beyond me. Can anyone here sit in this asan?

I feel the same; more alive since getting on the creatine (and with the increase in sunshine). My moods are LOUSY in winter too, you should try taking a small dose of vit D around then, I get the cheap stuff from Aldis. Don't expect miracles though, winters are like hurdles to survive for me! lol

Try and find a decent training buddy if possible, having a spotter can make a MASSIVE (positive) difference. A like minded relative maybe? You don't have to train with them all the time, but use them to push yourself more than usual when you can. 

I don't take protein powder - costs too much for me, but as I'm eating meat now, I don't need it as much. 

This year I've noticed more aches and creaks on certain joints (especially one wrist), which is compromising training - but I guess that was inevitable. We have to go easy on our joints and stuff.  

I train at home. I have a small multigym with pulldown bar/flyes/leg extension. I have a another bench for free-lifting weights. I have 2 barbells, 1 e-z curl bar, 2 dumbell sets and about 80 kg in weights mainly iron discs, with a few of the plastic ones.

That's a good little setup. Some things you might want to think about investing in in future is a preacher bench - really helps with bicep curls. 

I was thinking about getting a dipping station but the good ones are quite expensive, around £150. Cheapo ones at around 60-70 £ on ebay but they seem really naff.

I agree, I think cheap ones are a waste of money. I've got a good one from Bodystation (I think?), but when I got it years ago it was MUCH cheaper than now (actually cost a lot to get it shipped over from the US). I can't even find the site now, but the station looks like this. 

I'd like a squat rack, but lack of funds and space dictate otherwise.

unten1.jpg

Keep up the training! You know we have to in England....... 

Anyway, why you so bothered, you don't even train regularly??? 

You told me yourself that you were more sane and spacious after going on the diet. I thought I'd check in and see how you feeling these days, now that you are not on the diet.

I think pacifists might talk of others being be more' sane' and 'spacious' because they are terrified of going places that appear to be 'insane' to them. It's just people's upbringing and nature. No big mystery. You could do with a  big dose of rajas yourself mate, it'll make you more masculine. 

Did you become terrified of things after going on a veggie diet?

Do you think the veggie diet changed that which was previously conditioned by nature and nurture?

Did you read that thread about Guru Gobind Singh ji and Rai Singh btw? 

What's it about?

On Spaciousness, Masculinity and Diet to Maximize Both

Lacking spaciousness is not masculinity. Masculinity comes from being spacious. The unknown can only be approached with courage and courage requires spaciousness. Spaciousness comes from Satva.

So spaciousness is related to Masculinity.

In Gurbani spaciousness is known as Hari, represented by a dark, four-armed man resting on the thousand-headed serpent - masculine. Hari holds space for Maya, physical world, represented by a beautiful woman - feminine.

So why is this important?

Guru Granth Sahib promotes a veggie diet to maximize spaciousness. To make certain states of spaciousness easily accessible. What we eat makes us who we are, thus diet is crucial to the formula proposed by Guru Sahibs.

So let's say you were interested in accessing those states, then what you could do is identify the states you are able to access with a veggie diet and slowly introduce meat and then see if you are still able to access and hold those states.

On 4/13/2016 at 8:38 PM, chatanga1 said:

I can just about do a chonkra..i  got a yoga zafu cusion which i sit on to do path/dyaan..But can imagine focus bein on hips and lower back stretches for that asan..

Whats your training routine like??

do people take creatine and protein shakes without actually training?? Ive spoken to few people at gym  who take creatine, and common thing i heard is that they get a bit aggressive, more so if they haven't hit weights hard.. @dalsingh101.. have you found any differences so far with creatine??

On 4/13/2016 at 8:38 PM, chatanga1 said:

there's always alternative exercises.. like dips with bench and feet on chair, and if possible get someone to put weight disks on your lap...

Good time to start training with t-shirt season coming in..lol

tip!!..as biceps hard muscle to hit and get big..secret is to do exercises very slowly (or cheat an smash out the tricep)

@dalsingh101.. have you found any differences so far with creatine??

Yeah, more stamina, rep range increasing to pre veg diet range. Less sore muscle. Muscle tone. 

I notice that it works subtly. You just notice being able to do more and feeling less tired after workouts. Actually feel energised after workouts now. 

That being said, this year I've noticed slight joint pains more than before (must be getting on! lol)

I could actually do a fair bit more than I do (weight wise) but don't so I don't aggravate joints/tendons. Might get some wrist supports at some stage? You ever use them? 

Another thing I've come to appreciate is how much difference a training buddy/spotter makes. That's a game changer. The whole thing with competing and getting support to squeeze a few more reps out (and being forced to continue when you wouldn't on your own) brings it up a whole notch. You still training with your cousin? I wonder if Ragmaala aka Gunaghar is back to munching bare prontay now? lol

Gonna do legs today. 

Guru Granth Sahib promotes a veggie diet to maximize spaciousness. To make certain states of spaciousness easily accessible. What we eat makes us who we are, thus diet is crucial to the formula proposed by Guru Sahibs.

So let's say you were interested in accessing those states, then what you could do is identify the states you are able to access with a veggie diet and slowly introduce meat and then see if you are still able to access and hold those states.

Yeah, I get that. I can clearly see how it impacts your mental state now. I also get why there was openness for warriors to eat meat better now. Can make a big difference for some people. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:38 PM, chatanga1 said:

Changing routine of reps is advisable and it's what my trainer teaches me. You have to consistently adapt and keep on top of what your body may be needing and what it can manage with. The switching also helps with better control and merging of Mind-Body and MInd-Breath. So make sure you are breathing in sync with reps. Breath out on muscle contractions/OR the work of Movement and in on relaxations/OR the prep on movement.

SAD is something that I'm sure I had when I lived in Ol' Blighty!!   Trying to maximise as much exposure to outdoors, daylight and sun is essential. I would recommend that you try some form of sun-gazing, even if it's just 5-10 minutes a day. I'm not sure where you are, but getting to a beach and sitting at the ocean is the best one for me and I try and go most days in the summer months.

I do Budh-asan sometimes, especially when I plan on sitting for more than one and a half to two hours. It is and ideal posture and it provides the CORRECT "grounding" -->which is about being perpendicular to the core of the earth. It is also highly recommended for practicing deeper Samadhi because it keeps you balanced and prevents you toppling over.  I started doing it with just the right leg on the left thigh. Then once you get adept  in this, you can try the full lotus or budha-asan..

STRETCHING is another biggie!!.. Ive learnt that you have to stretch, stretch and s-t-r-e-----t-c---hhhhh... as often as possible. Most of our aches and pains can be very easily relieved if we do the right stretches. The majority of knee pains are due to imbalances in leg muscle co-ordination. These can very easily be relieved in minutes with the correct stretches.

The pains of DOMS in muscles can   also be reduced by stretching in the opposite directions to the worked muscle contractions.

I get quite confused with all these new age supplements and stacks with amino acids, creatine, whey proteins... Back in the day when I was in my teens and a karate black belt, we used to just take some ephedrines (about 90mgs),some serious coffee and  drink up 3 raw eggs pre or post workout. I remember that some of the bigger and main guys use to be discussing and using somatotropin growth hormones and stuff( the oldie steroids).    jeeeeez,,,,,I'm gonna have to read up on some this new age stuff.

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

I get quite confused with all these new age supplements and stacks with amino acids, creatine, whey proteins... Back in the day when I was in my teens and a karate black belt, we used to just take some ephedrines (about 90mgs),some serious coffee and  drink up 3 raw eggs pre or post workout. I remember that some of the bigger and main guys use to be discussing and using somatotropin growth hormones and stuff( the oldie steroids).    jeeeeez,,,,,I'm gonna have to read up on some this new age stuff.

I think people are better off generally giving these things a miss myself. 

Creatine is good though. I don't take more than 5g a day. 

Were in Canada are you? I thought it was even more cold and sunless over there than here? 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think people are better off generally giving these things a miss myself. 

Creatine is good though. I don't take more than 5g a day. 

Were in Canada are you? I thought it was even more cold and sunless over there than here? 

I'm in Vancouver man!....the west coast is warm and summers get real hot.. the beaches have nice pacific breeze......love it!!!

@dalsingh101 yeh bro i would defo recomend getting wrist support..especially if you lift heavy...even for punch bag i wrap up hands..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQF-Weight-Lifting-Supports-Training/dp/B009JH387M i use these...not bad for a fiver

yeh i go with cousin but i only do 3 different exercises per body part where he will do about 4/5.... you defo need spotter for bench and squats to push you that little bit further..but i suppose you can get away with it by your self..ie roll of shame but your more likely to get injured aswell..

Gunaghar either beasting on pranteh or unleasing his inner beast and hitting those weights hard..lol..lets hope its the latter...

bro u ever had krondeh/krohreh...its nasty but top notch for joints..

@Lucky..  you weight train bro? Good advice with breathing, a common mistake is to hold your breath (but sometimes this is natural on last push on heavy weight) 

Everyone at the gym is on supps, literally everyone.. pre supps and protein shakes go hand in hand... and quiet a few on roids aswell.. i would never advise anyone to take roids but if you do decide to go down that route be sensible interms of how you take it..6 weeks on 6 weeks off...

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I'm in Vancouver man!....the west coast is warm and summers get real hot.. the beaches have nice pacific breeze......love it!!!

I feel the green monster rising! lol

So how do you perceive blighty now that you've been away for a while?

You ever come back and visit? How does it seem? 

@samurai

Nice one for the wraps!! Going to get myself a pair!

bro u ever had krondeh/krohreh...its nasty but top notch for joints..

I've never even heard of them? What are they? 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

@samurai

Nice one for the wraps!! Going to get myself a pair!

I've never even heard of them? What are they? 

bruva brace yourself.lol..

basically its goats feet and ankle which you boil. becomes a soup which you drink.this takes a good 12-16 hours of boiling...its very 'garm'..very good for joints..i know cos some desi told me as ive broken ankle/shoulder/hand aswell as having knee pains.. and he suggested this...it puts 'grease' in your joints...better in winter as its very garm but ive had it in summer too...in summer its like a pre-sup man..

Yeah, now we've got a couple of desi butchers in the area (Seven Kings/Goodmayes) I can maybe get the goat feet/ankles from them?

Did you/your family make this stuff themselves?

6 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah, now we've got a couple of desi butchers in the area (Seven Kings/Goodmayes) I can maybe get the goat feet/ankles from them?

Did you/your family make this stuff themselves?

Yeh there's meat shop near seven kings station run by panjabis..

Its pretty simple to make..I make it myself..I make a big patila so used gas outside in garden plus it smells aswell..I start about 7am and normally that evening its made..but i make a lot at onetime im sure the less you make the quicker it is made..

All you do  fill pot with water and bit of salt  and bring to boil.. put krondeh in and leave it be, stirring now and again.tills its dissolved or when it becomes like soup,, not thin but not thick either..You may need to add water (judge this for yourself)..

You can have it straight or mix with  thorka...for me i just have it cos its good for me...not bothered about taste..dont have too much at once..maybe half a pint every other day 

On 4/16/2016 at 3:50 PM, samurai said:

bruva brace yourself.lol..

basically its goats feet and ankle which you boil. becomes a soup which you drink.this takes a good 12-16 hours of boiling...its very 'garm'..very good for joints..i know cos some desi told me as ive broken ankle/shoulder/hand aswell as having knee pains.. and he suggested this...it puts 'grease' in your joints...better in winter as its very garm but ive had it in summer too...in summer its like a pre-sup man..

Trotters soup ! yummyyyy..i love it too....Dally veera ..this is super good for the bones , chest and otherwise. Its glutenous ..i cook it with a pakistani recipe sometimes ..the paki punjabis love it so they are experts with it ..in Maharashtra we call it Paaye ka soup..paaye and guddi which is the knees are sauted in ginger garlic and then boiled ..some sauted flour can be added for thick consistency.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Paya-Shorba.html

This is our dakkhani style recipe ...enjoy it guys !