New British source on Misl Khalsa

amardeep

http://dailysikhupdates.com/26530-2/

“The city of Lahore is next, about a hundred and fifty miles distant from Moultan. It is the
capital of the Seiks, a people which started up in the fifteenth century, under a Hindoo of
the name of Nanuck, born in 1470. They are a set of religionists, tolerant in matters of faith
like the Hindoos, but, unlike them, admit proselytes. They require conformity in certain
signs and ceremonies, but in other respects are pure monotheists; they worship God alone,
without image or intermediation. They may be called the reformers of India. They retain
also a calvinistical principle, and take an oath ever to oppose a monarchical government.
They eat any kind of meat excepting beef, for like the Hindoos they hold the ox in the
utmost veneration. Their general food is pork, probably because it is forbidden by the
Mahometans, whom they hold in abhorrence. Their army consists wholly of horse; they can
raise a hundred thousand cavalry, and make war in the most savage mode. They kept long
concealed or unnoticed, at length became formidable by their courage and enterprize, and
extended their conquests over Lahore, Moultan, and the western parts of Delhi.”2
Reference

1. The National Library of Wales
2. Thomas Pennant (1798): The View of Hindustan Vol 1 & 2. Printed by Henry Hughs,
London

Edited by amardeep

They retain also a calvinistical principle, and take an oath ever to oppose a monarchical government.

We can see a clear example of goray projecting their Protestantism on Sikhi here. It's also interesting to note the point about opposing a 'monarchical government' as this was the exact time M. Ranjit Singh was establishing this very thing.  

The meat diet bit will, no doubt, have hardcore vegetarians in the panth perplexed. 

15 minutes ago, Guest seeker said:

not really a 'new' source, it is mentioned in a paper by GNDU about western sources on sikh history

Puratan singhs loved pork. Mani Singh also used to eat pork according to shaheed bilaas

Sikhkhoj why don't you register with a username instead of writing as an anonymous guest in the Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha, spread of Sikhi and Dasam Granth threads? It is confusing for people to write with anonymous people they dont know who are.  You are welcome to join again.

Edited by amardeep

the text mentions that they had to conceal themselves (i.e. hide from government)

pigs are wild animals in punjab.  chickens and goats aren't wild, they are domestically bred.  also you need access to cultivated land to grow wheat etc which doesn't happen overnight.  i don't know how good the rivers were for supplying fish etc.  there may have been wild deer and rabbits also, though I think the deer were seen as having religious connotations too, so wouldn't be eaten?

anyway above might explain lack of vegetarianism

Although the source is new, the insights don't seem *particularly* novel. You have the typical British projection of their values onto the Sikhs, mention of their hatred of beef, and love for pork. Lines up with what most other sources point out. Although I feel the target audience of dailysikhupdates may be upset at the mention of pork :P

9 hours ago, Guest guest said:

the text mentions that they had to conceal themselves (i.e. hide from government)

pigs are wild animals in punjab.  chickens and goats aren't wild, they are domestically bred.  also you need access to cultivated land to grow wheat etc which doesn't happen overnight.  i don't know how good the rivers were for supplying fish etc.  there may have been wild deer and rabbits also, though I think the deer were seen as having religious connotations too, so wouldn't be eaten?

anyway above might explain lack of vegetarianism

I never heard deer's hold religious significance to Sikhs or Hindu's , infact my maternal uncles and grand father used to hunt deers in assam as long as upto 1980s

23 hours ago, amardeep said:

Sikhkhoj why don't you register with a username instead of writing as an anonymous guest in the Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha, spread of Sikhi and Dasam Granth threads? It is confusing for people to write with anonymous people they dont know who are.  You are welcome to join again.

Are you out of your admin mind?

You have forgotten the standard this sikh khoj lowered the forum to, last time he was here? The relief at his participation ending here? He hasn't changed and and your invitation is not shared by me. I would be as bold to say others don't share it either.

Remember how he portrayed the the role of the poets in Sri CharitroPakhyan Granth falsely? And gave the idea of false representation to his fanclub and her sharing the lies on facebook?

Look at facebook group i have inboxed you. He is part of the misinformation.

Don't add more trouble to the forum . We already have one deviant here as it is.