Name of the Lord

Literally, what is the Name or Names of the Lord?

I'm very interested in the mysticism of the names of God. Islam has 99 names, Zorastorianism has a simmilar list. Kabbalah also deals in depth with Divine Names.

I have started a practice of chanting divine names during all of my prayers.

Any resources of the Divine Name in Sikhism? 

Btw... My morning and evening prayers these days is a Hebrew prayer followed by reading an Ang of the SGGS followed by chantinng divine names in Arabic. 😀

Thanks.

You can read jaap sahib-one of compositions we read every day, it has many names of lord. One of our saints wrote this while explaining esoteric mystery behind god's name:

source: http://www.akalbungasahib.com/babaji.html under God

He went on to say “Why have we invented so many names for God? There must be a certain reason, because God cannot be named, a name can easily be changed, but God remains the same. So why has God been addressed? Because there are moments when you would like to scream out your inner feelings to God in sheer joy. Some name is needed. Muslim Sufis invented ninety-nine names of God that are so beautiful, but why not a hundred? Ninety-nine looks a bit incomplete. There is a certain reason the hundredth name is kept silent and that is the true name of God, which of course can’t be uttered. That is why Guru Nanak said ‘Satnam’. Your name is thee truth. But in reality you can’t utter it because it will lose its’ beauty. It remains un-uttered at the deepest core of the heart. What is God’s true name? Nobody knows that all the names are man’s creation. The true name of God is the existence that surrounds you.”

How can one call Him by all His names? The wise give him names according to His manifestations – Jap Sahib, Guru Gobind Singh Ji He goes on saying. “those kind (the irreligious) of people haven’t known anything of spiritual experience. They’ve never felt any presence of God. The only way to receive God is to drop all your searching and seeking. The real question is recognition, not search, and the only way to know God is to live God.”

• 3 weeks later...

The english translations are ... I don't want to say dishonest but certainly not giving the full picture.

It literally says the name however the translation has not mentioned it.

The name in this quote is - Ram

Ram rhymes with calm, not to mention it is very calming when chanted.

Btw Ram and Hari are two most popular names of the Lord in Guru Granth Sahib.

On 12/29/2017 at 6:53 AM, MysticMonist said:

I'm very interested in the mysticism of the names of God. Islam has 99 names, Zorastorianism has a simmilar list. Kabbalah also deals in depth with Divine Names.

Btw... My morning and evening prayers these days is a Hebrew prayer followed by reading an Ang of the SGGS followed by chantinng divine names in Arabic. 😀

Thanks.

In the above verse, Ram is refereed to as the name of the Lord.

There are way more than 99 names for God in Sikh texts.

Har and Ram are the two most common ones.

The Gurmantar (given during the baptism ceremony) for Sikhs is "Waheguru".

On 1/23/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kalpu said:

Same word by saying,  just spelling dfrences

It's not pronounced (or spelled) as as "Par-bhir-ham", it's pronounced as Par-Bra-hm.

Pronunciation is very important.

We had another member on here who thought Brahm (God) was the same thing as Bharam (illusion).

They had been pronouncing the two words in the same way, which lead to their confusion.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, MysticMonist said:

Thanks.

Read Gurmat Naam(Punjabi) by Bhai Vir Singh. It explains everthing about NAAM which is mentioned in Gurbani

The Other book is NAAM by Surinder Singh Kohli

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Gurmat-Naam4