Books

Premi

On 2/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, chatanga1 said:

Howdy brother and as you may have guessed I don't post too much these days, as I'm very busy with work and also a little lazy lol. This book is ok-ish, I bought it when it came out but it isn't great but not poor either.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, Premi said:

In Transit     1

Cover image for Partition : the story of Indian independence and the creation of Pakistan in 1947

White-Spunner, Barney.
Shelf Number: AN

Pending     1

Started this one, it's easy to read and interesting so far. Author was in the British Army. I have detected his bias in a few places so far, but it's overall written quite neutrally. 

@dalsingh101

what you think ?

Bright Eyes of Danger: An Account of the Anglo-Sikh Wars 1845-1849 by Bill  Whitburn

"The Bright Eyes of Danger is rich in detail about the British advancement in India during the latter part of the eighteenth century, thus becoming the paramount power over all India except for the Sikh Kingdom in the Punjab. It gives a vivid account of the seven battles and one siege of the two wars with the Sikhs. "

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19157943-bright-eyes-of-danger

And, not seriously interested in this book, but it came up on a library catalogue search (non-fiction/novels of no interest to me) but maybe to you...

The Singhing Detective (Jaswinder Singh 1): Amazon.co.uk: M. C. Dutton:  9781848767218: Books

"Detective Jaswinder Singh, known as the Jazz Singher (Jazz to his friends and enemies), is leaner, fitter, smarter and back working for the Met. The nervous breakdown that caused him to be seconded to Manchester is, he believes, now behind him - but he is still battling his personal demon, drink. Jazz's first case back at the Met comes dangerously close to home as he investigates the Viets - a gang quietly setting up East End Cannabis factories and trying to stay under the radar of the holy trinity of East End gangs; the Snake heads, Triad and Bam Bam. The murder of a sweet and innocent old lady, Alice, is the catalyst for the gangs to clash, causing the biggest East End war since the Krays.

For Jazz it becomes personal - Alice had been part of his Newbury Park childhood. He goes on the rampage to find her killers. What started with the murder of a little old lady spirals out of control into serial murder, lies, duplicity and treachery, culminating in the death of a rookie Detective Constable on Jazz's team. This is the first book in a new crime series featuring Jaswinder Singh, a driven and brilliant Sikh detective, working in the East End of London."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Singhing-Detective-Jaswinder-Singh/dp/1848767218

The Godfathers of London: Second in the Singhing Detective Series by M.C.  Dutton

A Sikh by birth. An East Ender by choice. Meet the formidable DS Singh. Following three apparently unlinked, but gruesome, murders in the East End of London, Police Detective Sergeant Jazwinder Singh is once more on the case. Jazz has a reputation for getting into murderous situations so when his rookie DC Ash Kumar disappears - the race is on. The underbelly of society who don't talk to police, talk to Jazz. Together Jazz, his reluctant snout Mad Pete, who seems to have a finger in every dodgy pie in the East End, and DI Boomer work to protect London and solve the horrific murders. Never one to avoid trouble, Jazz heads straight into murky and lawless areas to take on the Godfathers of London.

Someone had to do it - and someone is going to die. The Godfathers of London is the the second in a series of multi-cultural thrillers featuring detective DS Singh. The first, The Singhing Detective, is currently being made into a film, due to be screened in December 2013 (less)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18444699-the-godfathers-of-london

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Premi said:

What are the best books on Sikh history from  1800s  to  Partition ((1947) ?

Have you heard of Amritsar 1919: An Empire Of Fear And The Making Of A Massacre by Kim Wagner? It’s the best book about Jallianwalla Bagh. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 12:10 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Do let us know what they say about our community in that book bro. 

Scanned through the book (it's not long)

Moroccans dominate this in Holland

image.thumb.png.fd5164b949a20885ea09e6f303f9fa97.png

image.thumb.png.8f8f580ad59c120b5db023701a637927.png

I was surprised to learn that some of the earliest activity started in Sikh 'strongholds' including Wolverhampton,

image.thumb.png.d5fdd25463c142ab21e0737742aae81a.png

image.thumb.png.091e03c8a15ca993f08e8676382bbef0.png

Didn't know SAS had started back as early as 1998. Filthy politicians labelling the groomers as 'Asian' and putting all of us under same umbrella!

image.thumb.png.6036a1d989f086dc5338030ce4d2541c.png

image.thumb.png.1c09fa02396792a2f1ccbf9b07a1b7a5.png

Names of groomers...

image.png.e86c95c0407d7a7485541cb354772c75.png

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Thanks for sharing veer ji. I didn't know about this site.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Premi said:

@dalsingh101 someone is currently in Punjab, they might be able to get me some books from Singh Brother Amritsar

Any recommendations? 

https://www.singhbrothers.com/en/

What are you interested in? What language(s) are you comfortable with? In your position I'd get a few that are even too hard for you read right now, because down the line, you (with kirpa) might be able to read them.