Guru Nanak Dev Ji onces worn a Hat?

Muhammadan priest of the place. A disciple called Tatihari went to fetch a pot of water for his spiritual guide from the well near which the Guru and Mardana had sat down to rest. The Guru wore a Persian hat and a nondescript costume, which Tatihari took for that of a Persian darwesh. He addressed the Guru with the Muhammadan salutation, 'Salam Alaikum' (the peace of God be with you). Nanak replied, 'Salam Alekh' (salutation to the Invisible). Tatihari was astonished, and said that until then nobody had distorted his salutation. He went and told his religious superior, the Shaikh, that he had met a darwesh who had taken the liberty of punning on the Muhammadan salutation. The Shaikh at once resolved to go himself to see the man who had saluted the Invisible One, and inquire what he knew regarding Him.

The Shaikh, on arriving, asked the Guru what religious denomination his head-dress denoted, and why he did not shave his head in orthodox fashion. The Guru replied:--

When man hath shaved his mind he hath shaved his head;[1]

Without shaving his mind he findeth not the way.

Let him cut off his head and place it before his guru.

If he resign his own wisdom, he shall be saved by the wisdom of his guru.

To become the dust of the feet of all is to shave the head.

Such a hermit appreciateth the words of the guru;

That is the way in which the head is shaved, O brother.

Few are there who shave their heads according to the instruction of their guru.

Nanak having abandoned all pleasures, affections, and egotism,

Hath put on a hat of this fashion.[2]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/skh/tsr1/tsr107.htm

If you look at the next website below and scroll down you'll soon see an image of Guru Nanak Devi Ji.

http://www.sarbloh.info/htmls/guru_nanak.html

What do you people think about this story?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I personally completely and absolutely disagree that Guru Sahib would ever really put on a hat

In this message Guru Sahib is showing that what a real hat is - of the Guru's wisdom

and Guru Gobind Singh jee's wisdom has also ordained that a Sikh should tie a dastaar - as the external appearance to reinforce the internal love for Guru's hukam

but i have a long way to go ... don't respect my dastaar enough

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jee

VaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaaVaaheguroojeekeefatheh!!!

I went to some UKPHA (?) talks, and one of them was abt old paintings. A lot of paintings of Guru Nanak by artists from the Middle-East (ie Iraq) show Guru Nanak wearing a topi. Also, unlike the many of the pictures we have in our homes, Guru Nanak was also shown wearing blue clothes (not orange).

Incidentally, I also heard Guru Nanak carried a spear, not a wooden stick. This kind of makes sense, coz what use does a stick have compared to a spear?

^ Maybe.

But thats a broad sweeping statement. We can only know the answer if we look at the evidence surrounding each painting.

One thing I do know is that I would trust an older painting that was created closer to the time of Guru Nanak rather tha one created in 1978.

Also, its not just paintings. I'm sure Guru Nanak's appearance has been described in writings - (hypothetically) if these writings also claim that Guru Nanak wore a topi than will we disregard them as false because they don't conform to our modern-day views?

Come on you lot, don't be daft. Applying the rehitnamae to Guru Sahib is a little crazy. Next you'd be telling us that Guru Sahib kept panj kakkar and was sarbloh bibeki. To my knowledge, there are no paintings in the janamsakhis with Guru ji wearing a dastaar. Topis always. Perhaps i am wrong.

As for the spear, well I'm off to this summer to see the Gurdwara in which it is reported there appears a very old painting in which Guru Nanak Dev ji is holding a teer.

There is one authentic picture who guroo maharaj is wearin dastar which is at nanaksar in 19th century. Thats only one i can think of.

But my point is, Guroo maharaj ji is nirankar themselves. Whichever way jagyasoo(learner) picture guroo maharaj and does bhagti ohiii saroop comes pragat at the time of union.

People who say guroo maharaj only wore topis. I dont agree with them because guroo maharaj is nirankar and "daran anaaek roops" for his bhagats :D :D :D

i dnt c how gurbani cud conflict with guru nanak dev ji.

hoe sikh sir ttopee dhharai || saath janam kushattee hue marai ||

He who as a Sikh places a hat on their head; will be reborn seven times as a leper.

Maybe u shud look to that instead of wot u c in pictures and wot ppl tell u

i dnt c how gurbani cud conflict with guru nanak dev ji.

He who as a Sikh places a hat on their head; will be reborn seven times as a leper.

Maybe u shud look to that instead of wot u c in pictures and wot ppl tell u

Is bhai Nand lal jis bani in the SGGS??

Guest Javanmard

Well well well here we go again!

It is a known fact that our Gurus up to Guru Arjan included wore seli topi. It is Guru Harigobind who changed this tradition and handed over the seli to the bedis and the topi to the udasis.

There are relics of Maharaj's belongings: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/pothimala/

Guru Harigobind ordered that the topi be given to Udasis only. So the point of rahit regarding the prohibition of wearing topi does not concern Udasis.

Also do not forget that a lot of paintings show Guru Nanak Devi Ji wearing a topi surrounded by a small turban. so both!

Happy everyone? Can we move on to more important things now?

Pardon my french, but if that website is authentic/contents, then !!""££"! me!!!

Amazing. Had me kissing the screen!

So how comes these items are spoken of (unlike guru jis shastars,etc which are openly exhibited)????

Is the whole topi thing a problem/for people to grasp??

Lalleshvari, on a different (but brief) note, did the gurus all have kesh??

Thankhaanama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

No offence... Could anybody tell me what is logic behind such an edict ?

Guest Javanmard

There is nothing written about topis and women and when there is an absence of reference: do what you want! Also helmets and topis are different things! There is evidence that SInghs used special war helmets to suit the joora. Topi refers to a religious type of hat and any hat for SInghs

Guest Javanmard

No problem my dear friend. The maryada of Hazur Sahib specifies that for example if your hair is wet then you can actually just put a cloth, shawl or chadar on your head a bit like a chunni. no need of caps!