accepting Hindu prasad

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

i was wondering as to what the sangat thinks about GurSikhs accepting prasad (offerings made to Hindu gods/goddesses) from Hindus. Sometime in the past i have refused from accepting it from my parents (who are Hindus), but it hurt them as they never hesitated from eating langar at the Gurdwara, and this act of mine was offensive to them. Although i wasn't forced to have it, i did feel bad. After all, whats wrong in accepting it if its done only as a sign of respect for another religion? Not like i am a worshipper of the deity! i know some (infact many) are gonna argue that its against the rehit, but disrespecting other faiths is also against the rehit, isn't it? Another probable answer i am expecting is "talk to them and tell them that u are not supposed to accept prasad". Well if a Sikh does this, it only gives non-Sikhs reason to reject Guru ka Langar too, dont u think? and wouldn't i feel bad then? After all everyone loves their religion the same way. Its gonna sound so disgusting telling someone else "i am superior, so i cant accept it. But u are free to eat langar".

i am not looking for any clearcut answer to this issue as i m pretty sure that there may not be one. People like me who have family members of another religion do have to take that extra step in being accomodative and accepting of each others' beliefs. It wouldn't be wrong if i say that i have already made up my mind on this issue, coz i have my own reasons and limitations, but i do wanna know what other Sikhs think/feel about this matter.

thanks for ur time

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

same here. I don't see anything wrong in it. We are not there worship devi's .. if shardlu makes a parshad with shardha and gives it to people with shardha...no matter which devi's is for..one should take it.. not refuse it because of devi's are also manifestations of akaal.

Guest SAdmin

Mehtab Singh Ji,

You should feel honored that your family is supporting you in adopting Sikh way of life. If you see the history of Sikh gurus then Guru Nanak Dev Sahib had to go through worst situations. He was slapped by his own father and his in-laws were not too happy to see his saintly life style either. But you are lucky enough to have parents who are supporting you towards your faith and have no objection for your decision to adopt Sikhism.

You should read what Bhai Gurdas Ji says:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...53&Format=2

Mehtaab Singh veer ji sat sri akal ,

no offence but this is what i heard from the katha of mukt nama by giani thakur singh ji . he said that amritdhari singhs should not eat jootha prasad ,when prasad is offered to a deity ,due to bhog ,it becomes jootha because technically it has been eaten by the deity . so he said we shouldn't acept a prasad other than krah prasad or langar .

these are not my views , and i don't know wt is wrong and wt is right , so please don't shoot me for that .

wjkk wjkf

Parsaad is nor Hindu nor Sikh. Parsaad is simply Parsaad. Now What makes Parsaad is the blessing of a Guru, or thru a Prayer an apple becomes Parsaad. You are not eating 'hindu' parsaad, but food that which is blessed by the different faces of that one faceless Divinity.