Racism

Mehtab Singh

RACISM - EXCELLENT READING

This took place on a BA flight between Johannesburg and London.

A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a black man.

Obviously disturbed by this, she called the air Hostess.

"Madam, what is the matter," The hostess asked.

"You obviously do not see it then?" she responded. "You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat."

"Be calm please," the hostess replied. "Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available."

The Hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later.

"Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the economy class. I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there is also no seat in the business class. All the same, we still have one place in the first class."

Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued: "It is not usual for Our company to permit someone from the economy class to sit in the first class. However, given the circumstances, the captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting."

She turned to the black man, and said, "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in first class."

At that moment, the other passengers who were shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and applauded.

• 17 years later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11759925/Millionaire-property-tycoon-racially-abused-Oxfordshire-country-estate-manager-leaky-pool.html

Kuwaiti millionaire property tycoon racially abused manager of her country estate by calling him a 'Pakistani crook' in row over leaky swimming pool

• Tycoon Fawzia Al-Hassawi called maintenance boss Abdul Malik 'Pakistani crook'
  • Kuwaiti Al-Hassawi, 69, flew into a rage over leaky pool at Oxfordshire mansion
  • Mr Malik sued his former employer and won - reaching a financial settlement

By ANDY DOLAN and ALICE WRIGHT

PUBLISHED: 19:26, 16 February 2023 | UPDATED: 08:19, 17 February 2023

A wealthy property tycoon was guilty of racial discrimination when she described one of her managers as a 'Pakistani crook', a tribunal has ruled.

Fawzia Al-Hassawi had maintenance chief Abdul Malik fired after flying into a rage over a leak in the swimming pool room at her Oxfordshire mansion, an employment judge heard.

It was claimed the 69-year-old Kuwaiti magnate – named by Forbes magazine as one of the Middle East's most powerful women – said her money was 'going down the drain' with Mr Malik. The tribunal was told that in a fit of temper she called him the 'son of 16 donkeys', a 'moron', 'jerk' and 'scum'.

It was also alleged that at one point she said he should be thankful she did not 'hit him with her shoe'.

Mr Malik was dismissed in 2020, with Ms Al-Hassawi's company claiming it was because of the impact of the pandemic. He sued the firm for unfair dismissal, harassment and race discrimination.

The judge was told Ms Al-Hassawi held a meeting with other staff, during which she 'repeatedly questioned his [Mr Malik's] competence and angrily referred to him in extremely offensive terms'.

The tribunal heard she was 'fixated' on the idea he was stealing from her or misusing her money.

Mr Malik's dismissal was confirmed the following month. Ms Al-Hassawi described Mr Malik's allegations of discrimination as 'quite simply absurd' and denied making derogatory comments because of his Pakistani heritage.

But the tribunal said: 'The dismissal was capricious, born of pique and an unwarranted personal dislike of him.' It found as fact that Ms Al-Hassawi did make the 'crook Pakistanis' comment 'thereby linking her belief that he was dishonest with his race'.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgjjpr8dxyo

Doctor suspended over 'porky sausages' insults

Andy Giddings
BBC News, West Midlands

• Published
    30 March 2023

A doctor has been suspended after making "porky sausages" remarks to a Muslim colleague.

A Medical Practitioners Tribunal heard Dr Colathor Eshwari had also accused her colleague at Hereford County Hospital of filling a kettle with "dirty water".

The panel ruled such behaviour demonstrated hostility based on assumptions about her colleague's race or religion. Finding Dr Eshwari's fitness to practise had been impaired by reason of misconduct, the panel suspended her for six months.

Dr Eshwari did not admit to any of the events of which she was accused, but said she was sorry if she had inadvertently caused offence.

The panel met between 27 February and 2 March, with Dr Eshwari's colleague, referred to as Dr A, telling members she arrived in Hereford from Pakistan in November 2019 as an international training fellow.

She said when she moved in to hospital accommodation, she tried to introduce herself to Dr Eshwari, originally from India, but Dr Eshwari had refused to give her name.

Dr A added that during the encounter, Dr Eshwari also muttered the phrase "porky sausages" more than once, which she took to be an insult.

She explained there was a "poor relationship" between Pakistan and India that had led to Pakistan being subject to pork-related slurs in reference to Muslims not eating the meat.

Dr A also told the panel she poured some mineral water from a bottle into a kettle and that Dr Eshwari grabbed it, threw the water into the sink, and said: "Don’t make this kettle dirty with your dirty water."

Dr Eshwari told the panel she had been busy in the kitchen and in a "beastly rush" when Dr A arrived, but did not refuse to give her name.

The panel ruled that while the claim over the introduction could not be proven, it would uphold the other accusations against her, rejecting her version of events.

Dr Eshwari told the panel that during the events in question she had been searching the communal fridge for sausages, muttering to herself: "Where are the sausages?"

She also claimed she poured away the water from the kettle on health and safety grounds, because it had come from a half-filled bottle and that she refilled it with tap water instead.

The tribunal ruled, however, it was "more likely than not" she did make the "porky sausages" remarks and did say the words to the effect of "don’t make this kettle dirty with your dirty water".

Dr Eshwari had also claimed she did not know her new colleague was a Muslim from Pakistan and was not "remotely interested", but the panel did not accept that either.

It ruled her actions were "inappropriate and had the potential to cause offence".

https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/ksi-sidemen-racist-slur-apology

KSI and The Sidemen embroiled in racism scandal over Countdown video - what happened?

Liam O'Dell
Apr 07, 2023

The 29-year-old, who co-owns the Prime drinks brand with fellow YouTuber Logan Paul, used a derogatory word aimed at Pakistani people in a video released by the creator group The Sidemen – of which he is a member.

The group, who release weekly videos to their channel on ‘Sidemen Sundays’, uploaded their second take on popular daytime gameshow Countdown last week, in which KSI said the slur as his answer during a letters round.

The other six members of the group – along with guest stars and musicians Yung Filly and Chunkz – could then be seen bursting out laughing as they reacted to KSI’s remarks.

“Look, we need points, innit? I don’t mean this maliciously,” he said, before uttering the slur.

The video was later removed when KSI’s comments sparked widespread condemnation.

The reaction

After clips of KSI’s remarks were reposted online, Twitter users slammed the “dehumanising” comments, with some sharing their own experiences of abuse surrounding the word:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/youtuber-ksi-spotted-at-gurdwara-amid-racial-slur-scandal-285070/

YouTube star KSI known for Prime energy drink visits Guru Nanak Gurdwara, in Gravesend amid racial slur controversy

Published: 18:40, 07 April 2023 | Updated: 19:30, 07 April 2023

KSI was spotted at a Sikh place of worship amid his recent racial slur scandal.

The 29-year-old YouTuber was seen at the Siri Guru Nanak Darbar Gudwara, in Gravesend, yesterday evening.

9 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I don't remember this case specifically but that year (89) lots of stuff was happening. My specific neck of the woods was having guys fighting back quite viciously (and organised). This wasn't just against white racists, but black ones too. 

I remember hearing stuff like: "What's the big deal - it's only a p**i!!" being said by laughing goray adults around this time, whenever the matter of someone being racially attacked and killed would come up.  

Do you remember the case Paul Choudhry talked about? Where one of the minicab driver husbands of one of the female workers in his family shop was stabbed to death by a passenger, who prior to the attack told people something like: "I'm going to go out and kill the first p**i I see!" - and he did. Left the wife to raise the kids on her own. 

Oof

• 2 weeks later...

@dalsingh101

It's 30 years since Stephen Lawrence was murdered in Eltham, South London. 

But, there was an Indian/Punjabi boy who was also murdered only the previous year; the case of Rohit Duggal is much less famous and publicised. 

I don't know much of the case, but it's not far from where I grew up. Like the Ricky Reel, it seems Indian lives were/are taken less seriously than black lives

Remember Rohit Duggal top image

SUMMARY
In July 1992, Rohit Duggal was stabbed to death by a white youth outside a kebab shop in Eltham, South London. The racially motivated murder of Duggal was taken up by anti-racist campaigners, protesting against the presence of the far-right British National Party in the area.

Spate of racist stabbings in Eltham had gone unpunished

Satish Sekar,Paul Peachey
Wednesday 04 January 2012 01:00

One alleged victim of the Acourt gang, who was lucky to survive after being stabbed in the stomach, said he was "overjoyed" that two of its members now face jail.

Gurdeep Bhangal, now 41, was attacked with a kitchen knife outside his father's Wimpy franchise in Eltham on 11 March 1993, during a spate of racist attacks in the weeks before Stephen Lawrence's murder. He had confronted a group of abusive white youths that he alleges included David Norris. Another member of the group stabbed him.

"The knife went in from the side of my stomach, through my bowel and missed my spine by about a centimetre," said Mr Bhangal. Police investigated the attack but no charges were brought

The family of one man killed 20 months before Stephen Lawrence blamed police and prosecutors for failing to crack down on gangs. Rolan Adams, 15, was killed in February 1991. A group of 15 thugs attacked Rolan and his brother but only one, Mark Thornburrow, was convicted of murder and jailed for a minimum of 10 years. He was not connected to the Acourt gang. "The judge acknowledged that it was racist and he carried and used a knife," said Rolan's father, Richard Adams. "If Thornburrow had received the sentence he deserved, the knife-carrying culture that followed could have been stopped in its tracks."

The area was known as a hotbed of racist activity even before then. Twelve families fled the area, according to racism monitors.

In July 1992, Rohit Duggal was stabbed to death by a white youth outside a kebab shop. The killer, Peter Thompson, was found guilty of murder. He was said to have links to the Acourt gang. The attack came a year after the stabbing of another man outside the same shops.

Kevin London, a black teenager, claimed he was confronted in November 1992 by a gang of white youths, including Gary Dobson, who was armed with a large knife. The claim came to light only after the killing of Stephen Lawrence. No charges were laid.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/spate-of-racist-stabbings-in-eltham-had-gone-unpunished-6284643.html

I think this stuff is what apnay in the UK need to be focusing on myself, not back home politics. 

8 minutes ago, Premi said:

it seems Indian lives were/are taken less seriously than black lives

Yeah, because blacks have made it an issue and forced whites to confront it. 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/mark-duggan-should-have-been-the-uks-george-floyd-why-didnt-people-let-him-be/

47 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

@Premi

Remember this? 

The Mark Duggan case was a catalyst': the 2011 England riots 10 years on |  England riots 2011 | The Guardian

London riots 10 years on: What's changed since Mark Duggan's shooting? | UK  News | Sky News

Mark Duggan death: Timeline of events - BBC News

Yes, I remember the news/events of the 'rioting' well.

If you are asking about the actual incident of the killing of Mark Duggan, from what I am just reading on wikipedia, he was no 'angel' and the police might have been justified in their actions, but I do not know the full story and of course, his family would defend him even if he was a criminal. 

There were riots in Bradford and Oldham 10 years earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to Pak misbehaviour, but again, I don't know

Am I missing something - are you making some other point ?

The Metropolitan Police stated that officers were attempting to arrest Duggan on suspicion of planning an attack and that he was in possession of a handgun. 

Duggan was under investigation by Operation Trident, an anti-crime project conducted by the Metropolitan Police. He was aware of this and texted the message "Trident have jammed me" moments before the incident.[4]

He was known to be in possession of a BBM Bruni Model 92 handgun, a blank-firing replica of a Beretta 92 pistol, converted to fire live rounds. This had been given to him by Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, 15 minutes before he was shot. At an initial trial of Hutchinson-Foster in September–October 2012 the jury failed to reach a verdict. At a re-trial on 31 January 2013 Hutchinson-Foster was convicted of supplying Duggan with the gun and jailed. In August 2013 the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said its investigation had substantially ended and that they had found no evidence of criminality by the police.[5] A public inquest on the Duggan death began on 16 September 2013, and ended on 8 January 2014 with an 8–2 majority concluding that Duggan's death was a lawful killing.[6]

Between the ages of 12 and 17, he lived with his maternal aunt Carole in Manchester.[16] His maternal aunt Julie was married to Manchester gangland boss Desmond Noonan.[17]

According to Tony Thompson of the London Evening Standard, Duggan may have been a founding member of North London's "Star Gang",[22] an offshoot of the Tottenham Mandem gang.[23] Unnamed police sources alleged via The Daily Telegraph that Duggan was a "well known gangster"[24] and a "major player and well known to the police in Tottenham".[25]

Officers attached to Operation Trident had Duggan under surveillance; police stated that they suspected Duggan was planning to commit a crime in retaliation for the killing of his cousin, Kelvin Easton,[26] who was stabbed to death outside a bar in East London in March 2011.[27] Duggan was described as having been increasingly paranoid[28][29] as a consequence of his cousin's death. The Daily Telegraph alleged that Duggan was bound to avenge his cousin's death by the "street code"[26] of the gang.

This might be worth watching later

52 minutes ago, Premi said:

Am I missing something - are you making some other point ?

I think you've made the point clearer. It appears as if it's the ability to cause havoc that whites respond to the best, and causes them to change their behaviour.  

58 minutes ago, Premi said:

but I do not know the full story and of course, his family would defend him even if he was a criminal. 

Also, it might be to you, because of your relatively sheltered background, that this guy seems like some sort of 'gangster' but in London, he'd just be one of many similar people you'd pass by all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is slightly funny, since this guy has some history of putting Sikhi down

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-04-30/bbc-radio-dj-reports-man-for-racially-aggravated-offence

Nihal Arthanayake reports man for ‘racially aggravated’ offence outside Manchester pub

•  
  •  
    Monday 1 May 2023 at 5:05am

headerImage-730461c6-2215-4634-bd13-f6c81015fcb6?fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=400&h=225&q=80

BBC presenter Nihal Arthanayake has said Greater Manchester Police officers are looking into his report of a “racial aggravated public order offence”.

The 51-year-old, who hosts a Radio 5 Live show, said he was outside a pub in Altrincham at the weekend when a man approached him and used a four-letter slur, referring to people of Pakistani origin, and the n-word.

On Twitter on Saturday, Arthanayake wrote: "So, last night this happened to me and I am still trying to process the weirdness of it. Warning that there is bad language."

In a video below the tweet, the presenter said: "I don’t really know what just happened, I was in a place called Altrincham… and I was outside this pub, which I’d been in with my wife, dancing around… It was fun. (There was a cover) band (they were) very good.

"I saw this man sitting outside (and) I was waiting for my wife to come out, so I said: ‘Can I come and sit with you, can we talk?’ and he was like ‘Yeah, yeah absolutely.’ (He was a) little, kind of drunk man.

"We got talking and he said ‘Oh are you a doctor?’ So I started laughing because it’s a question as an Asian you might get asked and I went ‘Well why would you ask that?'"

Then he said the man used two slurs and added: "Oh sorry, you’re offended, aren’t you?"

Arthanayake added: "It was so weird but you know when you come to some of these areas, I think there’s just some people who still feel they can say that word, like what?"

On the social media site, Arthanayake wrote that he would not be naming the pub as he had a "great time in there before encountering that racist man".

https://www.sikhnet.com/news/bbc-expresses-regret-over-suggestion-sikhism-made-other-religions

BBC expresses regret over suggestion Sikhism is 'made up of other religions'

Sikh leaders accused the corporation’s Asian Network of displaying “irresponsible and misleading” attitude and suggestin...

The BBC has expressed regret to Sikhs over comments on a radio discussion suggesting that their faith is “made up of other religions” such as Islam and Hinduism.

Presenter (137K)

Sikh leaders accused the corporation’s Asian Network of displaying “irresponsible and misleading” attitude and suggesting that their religion was simply a “hotchpotch” of other faiths.

It followed a phone-in broadcast in March in which the presenter DJ Nihal Arthanayake – best known as a Radio 1 DJ – touched on the relationship between Sikhism, which was founded in Punjab in the 15th Century, and the other two predominant religions in India at the time.

A text message from a listener was read out complaining about the “incredibly offensive” way the presenters had suggested that Sikhism was “made up from other religions ie Islam and Hinduism”.

The DJ, known simply as Nihal on air, replied: “I’m sorry with all due respect, it is, absolutely it is.”

He added: “It came around in the 15th and 16th Centuries in India, how could it not be influenced?”

He went on: “A Muslim laid the stone to the holiest places, with all due respect I know more about your religion than you do.”

The comment was a reference to the tradition that a Muslim divine was asked to lay the foundation of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, the centre of Sikh worship.

But the Network of Sikh Organisations, headed by Lord Singh – who is himself a regular on the BBC, as a contributor to Radio 4’s Thought For the Day – complained, accusing the programme of a “skewed” approach.

They asked: “Is the BBC similarly willing to take the view that Islam is a religion made up of Christianity and Judaism?”

The corporation initially responded that they would “bear in mind he complaint” in future but did not apologise.

Following a second complaint, the channel’s head of news, Kevin Silverton, wrote to the Network admitting that the discussion had been “less than satisfactory”.

“The Nihal phone-in deals with difficult subjects on a daily basis and very occasionally we don’t get the tone exactly right.

“In this case at the end of an hour of challenging debate, the presenter was unusually forthright about a point of view that some listeners have contacted us about concerning the influence other religions had on Sikhism … We’ve stressed to him and the team the importance to retain an impartial tone on these kind of matters and to back up assertions with solid research where at all possible (considering the live and unpredictable nature of such a show).

“We will monitor both these points closely.”

Lord Singh said: "They initially handled it very arrogantly, they didn't accept anything.

"Then they thought about it and said that they should have been more sensitive – but then it goes on say we do so much with all communities and we have great balance.

"It's not a very good 'sorry'."

3 hours ago, Premi said:

This is slightly funny, since this guy has some history of putting Sikhi down

What a pu55y. Calling the police over that. 

That's what you get for thinking you are white.  

• 4 months later...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/racism-nursing-midwifery-council-nmc-b2419542.html

Nursing watchdog accused of discrimination for letting racism complaints ‘go unchecked’

Exclusive: Whistleblower claims NMC has failed to address racism in its ranks - as regulator launches investigation into The Independent’s revelations

Rebecca Thomas
Health Correspondent
4 days ago

Nurses accused of tying a Sikh patient’s beard with plastic gloves, leaving him in his own urine and offering him food he couldn’t eat for religious reasons were allowed to carry on working despite the man complaining about discrimination in a note on his deathbed, The Independent can reveal.

The shocking claims emerged in a dossier leaked to The Independent from the Nursing and Midwifery Council, the UK’s nursing regulator, which outlines multiple counts of alleged racism against nursing staff and patients.

A senior NMC whistleblower has now urged the regulator to address an alleged racial bias in how it treats conduct cases against Black and ethnic minority nurses and patients amid claims of “alarming” racism within the NMC, which was first raised in 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the latest series of revelations fromThe Independent, we reveal:

• A Black nurse was forced to undergo a fitness-to-practice hearing over her response to a patient who was racially abusive. The nurse eventually took voluntary removal from the register
  • A white nurse was cleared by the NMC despite being found to have racially abused members of the public — a ruling only overturned in the High Court
  • NMC staff claim they’re forced to “act like an English rose” to fit in, while Black and ethnic minotiry staff fear being exposed if they speak up about racism
  • Staff believe the “cultural capital” of the NMC is “white, middle-class women and a lack of diversity with regard to class” — with any approach to addressing racism described as a “token gesture”

In the case of the Sikh patient,the case was initially closed by the NMC’s screening team. According to a source, the NMC staff members responsible for deciding whether to pursue an investigation failed to properly consider responses to the note, left by the patient and discovered by his family after his death. The note, written in Punjabi, claimed nurses had laughed at him, kept him hungry by only offering food which they knew he couldn’t eat and not responded to his call bell, causing him to wet himself and fall in his own urine.

The Independent understands the patient’s family found his turban on the floor, out of his reach, and his beard tied up with rubber gloves.

The NMC confirmed the case is being re-assessed. The nurses are currently working without restriction.

Meanwhile, an independent review of the organisation’s investigations department, as well as summaries from the NMC’s Black and Minority Ethnic staff network meetings in 2023, both obtained by The Independent, reveal multiple allegations of racism within the regulator.

The documents reveal how Black and ethnic minority staff fear they will be exposed if they speak up about racism. Concerns were also raised that Black and Asian people are not being promoted equally, driving a lack of equality in pay between staff. The documents also claim the organisation’s approach to diversity is “ticking boxes”.

According to the NMC’s 2022 workforce and race equality survey, published by the regulator on Friday, just 30 per cent of staff agreed there are “equal opportunities for career progression” within the NMC compared to 43 per cent of white staff. This was worse than the previous year when 38 per cent of Black and ethnic minority staff said yes to this question.

The organisation also has no BME staff who are at the highest pay grade. 89 per cent of the board are white.