Sikhs & Clubbing

I experiance god when I am drinking, eating meat, taking drugs and when I am clubbing am I not a sikh?

Fateh

manjit singh.. you must be extreeeeeeeeeeemely gifted and amazing to be able to remember god with every breathe even while you're drinking, eating meat, taking drugs, and clubbing... i don't know a single person in my life who can do that... that's amazing.. but so rare!!

it's strange though - because if you love vaheguru so much, then why do you even need to take drugs, veerjee?

if he's in your thoughts and mind and heart 24/7 as you do everything - then why do you even NEED alcohol?? wouldn't your blood already be pumping with naam and wouldn't your entire body be drunk on naam already???? What's the need for drugs or alcohol in such a case?

Why would you need to go to clubbing as well - if you're thinking of vaheguru 24/7 - you wouldn't have any doubts, desires, or needs to go clubbing, drinking, or any of that... you wouldn't even need the taste of meat or anything as such - you'd be 100% satisfied in yourself and you'd stay away from manmat and maya, as well as all of the other things that Guru Jee told his Sikhs to avoid..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

WJKK WJKF

Firstly - I know this is very belated, but congrats Neo, hope u find being an amritdari very rewarding, as I'm sure u will!!

Secondly - I'm an amritdari and I admit I went clubbing with friends a few times last yr at uni (I'd never been clubbing b4), but I don't think it affected me in a bad way and to tell the truth I believe it has made me a stronger person because of it. I do more simran now and feel more closer to waheguru than I have ever been be4 - that has partly to do with the fact that there aren't any amritdaris around me at uni, so it made me want to do more to make myself closer to god, since I don't have any influences from other sikhs that I spend my yr with - plus I've never really had any amritdari friends to whom I can talk to about sikhi, except my younger sisters. So, I think, clubbing can also have the opposite effects to leading u away from sikhi coz u c all the stuff that others do - drinking, smoking etc - and it makes u think how grateful u r 4 being an amritdari and not doing all that stuff!!

I don't know if I'll go clubbing again though coz it really doesn't appeal n e more!!

Btw - Iron Bangle - know what u mean about englishees staring in clubs coz I'm different from them - what's even funnier is when indians stare - probably shock!!

Secondly - I'm an amritdari and I admit I went clubbing with friends a few times last yr at uni (I'd never been clubbing b4), but I don't think it affected me in a bad way and to tell the truth I believe it has made me a stronger person because of it.

:shock: :shock: ... you have broken the matrix...where is your charan biba? :D:D 8)

dont go cos theres loadsa women there..makes u think lustful.

also theres alot of ego cos theres people ur age..who might be trying to throw their weight around.

not forgetting the older lot (the odd few) who end up doin ur besti (and make u feel angry.)

and its bad cos u end up feeding a bad mans pocket (usually.)

and the music takes u away from god (not that u can hear it, cos everyones talking.)

no one has their mind on god really, so why go there??

sound familiar? thats the local gurudwara..f-in club..dharamsala..park,etc..does it matter..conquer ur MIND!!

• 2 weeks later...

lets see..sikhism does directly and indirectly porhibits use of alchohol and goin in clubbling...

lets break all these three things..lets take clubbling for example-

goin to clubbing...most of the people claim they do go for fun with freinds etc..however you in the vulnerable environment where things easily can lead to the five vices we have- anger, greed, attachment, lust and pride...even though you dont drink...because of the environment...

i m not lecturing you or anything...why dont you do a experiment urself...

just take one week off from ur priceless time ...just dedicate whole one week...listening to gurbani, kirtan instead with ur true heart instead of rap, hip-hop, bhangra songs, ragaie etc...you will the find the difference urself...you will find the music of gurbani much more relaxing and peacefull than other music...

i shall direct you to this link if you are interested you can listen to the kirtan here..

http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.php?viewCat=205

if you like to listen to kirtan in a western style like rock beats and pop.. our fellow white sikh brothers and sisters has done that too..here

http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.php?viewCat=40

ENJOY THE MUSIC JI :wink:

i enjoyed the kirtan in rock style its really awesome

do u have any more kirtan in rock music style?

before i give my opinion in all of this i just want to say that i dnt come to this site very often so excuse my late replies. also, everyone has pretty much covered everything there is to say but im still going to post my opinion to let evryone know.

sikhs and clubbing...........i think that clubbing is definutly wrong because its like penji Kaur 1699 said........its all about sangat. a person may go clubbing for the bhangra (if ppl want to listen to bhangra why cant they just listen to it in their cars or at home? no need to go clubbing for it) only but those 5 vices do get uncontrolled because of the unstable environment. clubbing has all the nishani's of not following sikhi dharm. isnt it true that guru arjun dev ji left the decision of a marriage proposal brought by a hindu family for their hindu daughter to marry Guru ji, to the sangat?

this is a primary example of the importance of sangat.

in my opinion, clubbing just promotes naked women, males hungry for you know wot and increasing alcohol sales.

oh yh..........and music(!)

not good at all for the sikhi dharam man

the way people portrait clubs now is just seen as a bad thing, back inda day , in my dads time......clubs didnt have gangsters, drugs sellers, fighters or any dodgy stuff, and the boys when they take the girls out for the night, they would drop them off at there house and not go in for one of those one night stands :LOL:, nowwadays its happening though, drugs ,u name.....its all there, even the dress sense has changed, without a doubt, so i think clubs have changed,

so im not surprised when people say sikhs shouldn't go to a club, what if all the sangat was exactly like you, had the same characteristics , didn't wonna do any dodgy stuff, then i wouldn't see why a sikh person shouldn't go,...

oh yeah listening to music inda car isnt da same man, different quality of sound all together, plus more saangat to see

get me geezers?

Yeah, thats true... clubs have that kind of reputation.

But the thing is, clubs are only open at night... i.e. from 10 - 2am.... and as sikh (who is meant to get up early) its going against sikhi really. Cuz even if you get up at 6am... you are only getting 4 hours sleep which is dangerous and not good for your body... try doing this for 3 days on the run and you'l know what I mean.

So if you wanna listen to music and do the bhangra then just have a party in the day or join a Bhangra group where you can exercise as well!

Sangat?? LOL Some people ive met in clubs are far more concious than people ive met in the gurudwara. The dharamsala USED to be a place for like minded souls to meet..for seekers of truth. Now its just a restaurant/business.

We need to stop taking things at face value. Life ISNT black and white. Guru ji said, conquer your mind, thus conquer the world. Few people actually try and conquer their mind..instead they focus on singular actions. Abstaining from clubs doesnt make you a better person, or indeed a better sikh.

Thanx to both of you for the advice youve given me! Its all been very helpful and very enlightening! We need more peopl elike you.

We need to encourage more sikhs to take part and realise sikhi more!

Heres an idea, how about a student nagar kirtan?? we can have a main on ein midlans and another in London, it gives a chance for student (less educated in sikhi) to get to gether and learn and listen to path

We need more peopl elike you.

More people like N3O............ :shock:

Haha jus kidding...you are right though, we definietly need more people like Him as he got me back onto the panth and sikhi....... :bow:

N30, you are the man and not the voman (you know what i'm talkin about)..... :wink: :yo: