20,000 riled by marriage fraud !

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...1d-1b218bbe36c4

20,000 riled by marriage fraud

Raina Delisle, The Province (Vancouver, B.C. Canada )

Published: Monday, June 26, 2006

A petition urging the federal government to change the Immigration Act to fight marriage fraud has been signed by more than 20,000 Canadians.

The Canadian Marriage Fraud Victim Society wants to put an end to the practice of foreigners marrying Canadians as a way to gain permanent residency in the country.

The society is calling for a three-year probationary period, during which couples must live together, before foreign spouses can be granted permanent residency.

"Marriage sponsorship is a very dangerous thing," said society member and abandoned bride Navdeep Dhillon. "This is happening to a lot of people and the government must stop it."

Many Canadians -- men and women -- who sponsor foreigners are quickly divorced and left financially liable for their ex-spouses under B.C.'s sponsorship default recovery program.

Burnaby-Edmonds NDP MLA Raj Chouhan has been leading a campaign to raise awareness of marriage fraud but says a probationary period is "aggressive" and "unfair."

"It's not a very well-thought-out solution," Chouhan said. "It will cause more harm than good."

Chouhan said immigrants may find themselves in abusive marriages with no way out for three years if the proposal were adopted.

The society was created in January and more than 200 people have already come forward to share their stories, said Dhillion, who believes there are thousands more.

rainadelisle@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2006

Guest SAdmin

The society is calling for a three-year probationary period, during which couples must live together, before foreign spouses can be granted permanent residency.

Three years is not long enough to make good decision. People who are fraud they have great level of patience. I know lady who got married to guy locally and left him once she received her green card after three years of marriage. She even had young child whom she left without any emotions.

Guest SAdmin

Males are doing it more from western countries though. It is shame that this is the same community which is producing at least 30 to 50 new Video/Audio songs with "Anakh" & dignity.

Its a pity that the misconception of a better life in the west, leads to people losing all of their dignity and ethics. Marrying for money and with no care for the families on both sides which get torn apart by one persons selfish desires.

Best thing to do is if they get divorced, send them back. After all they came over in order to be a husband or wife with their partner not to settle down on their own. But thats a nieve generalised statement just giving a basic POV, I understand that things can be alot more complicated

If the government of Punjab was half decent they could have created a economically healthy environment in Punjab where emigrating wouldn't enter the peoples' mind, instead its a place where people crave to escape to the "land of opportunity" - the west, a few manage it, most are left with 'doday' and 'smack' being their only escape.

In our relatively wealthy lifestyles it's easy to forget how powerful an agent money can be and to what lengths the average person is prepared to go to get it, especially, when they regularly see/hear stories of those around them doing so successfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I am not saying girls are worse than boys, but for a strange reason all the cases of marriage fraud I am come across in friends and family have been girls from India who abandon the NRI boy. Usually these girls are either in a pre plan with her family to do this fraud or sometimes she is doing this with her boy friend from Punjab whom she will bring over at a later date.

Maybe the reason I have not heard of boys doing this is because the NRI girl's family wants to keep things quite.

In any case, I still think that 3 years is a long time. Alot of genuine abuse can happen in 3 years. So in my opinion 1 to 1 1/2 years is good enough to find out if the other person is a fraud since most of the cases I have come across the fraud bride usually leaves within 3 months of arriving.