Sufi Islam

Mystical

Rumi Sahib...

Wow, truely amazing. What a universal and all embracing personality. True inspiration.

The meanings behind the dervishes holy dance also seem very deep.

But I take it this is just a small part of Sufism, devotional singing is also a different expression of the same beliefs I think i.e. Ustaad Nusret Fateh Ali Khan Ji.

Did Sufism start from Rumi Sahib, or had it existed in a known context before hand, just interested as it may be Bhai Mardana Ji was influenced by these teachings...

Definately got a taste to learn more re Sufism, it seems to be drowned in raag Suhi as expressed by our Guru sahibaan....

Vaheguru

Since fellow sikhawareness member and who i would regard as a scholar with great knowledge created the sevapanthi website and put on the sufi link i have been learning more and more about sufi's i think the love in their literature for the Lord is amazing.

i suggests reading more

the following link has two of Rumi's books and books by other philosipher and religious personalities all free to download as well

http://www.omphaloskepsis.com/collection/index.html

Dhanvaad.

Does anyone have Bhai Tirath Singh Nirmala Ji's e-mail address. if it cannot be displayed here, please e-mail it to me at shaheed@khalsa.com

I would like to learn some things from Bhai Sahib and have some questions regarding his excellent commentry of Bhavrasamrit.

Vaheguru

I don't mean to be boring, but for those who haven't come across Tasuwwuf/Sufi thought before and want to know a little of one of the many Sikh links, see the sections of www.sewapanthi.org, especially since the great embodiment of truth, Bhai Adhan Shah would have the Masnavi's katha going on daily in his dera!

I have to say, going to Mevlana Jalalludin Rumi's shrine in Konya was electric, even though ever since Attaturk the place has been a 'cultural museum' and thus Sufis are not allowed to show their devotion as they traditionally have. I had a couple of addresses of hidden (sufis are banned in turkey officially) meeting houses in Konya, one of which turned out to be someone's front room, but their love and warmth was beautiful.

It also seems relevant to post this shabad of our beloved father, Sri Guru Maharaj from Raag Maaroo;

aapae mashhulee aapae jaalaa ||

You Yourself are the fish, and You Yourself are the net.

aapae goo aapae rakhavaalaa ||

You Yourself are the cows, and You yourself are their keeper.

Rumi states a similar metaphor in Masnavi, which from memory goes something like (very paraphrased) 'you are the dust particles and the shard of light illuminating them, you are the coral bed and the boat afloat on it, you are the candle and the moth intoxicated by it; and who am I, say I am you' - which in a deeper sense is the reversal of Al-Hallaj's controversial 'ana'l haqq' or 'I am the truth', although the meaning is the same.

Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj in Raag Maaroo also uses very specific Sufi terminology in this shabad by referring to the four traditional Sufi mystical stages of experience, (and also interpretation of the Qur'an) being shariat, tariqat, marifat and haqiqat.

saraa sareeath lae ka(n)maavahu ||

Let your practice be to live the spiritual life.

thareekath tharak khoj ttolaavahu ||

Let your spiritual cleansing be to renounce the world and seek God.

maarafath man maarahu abadhaalaa milahu hakeekath jith fir n maraa ||3||

Let control of the mind be your spiritual wisdom, O holy man; meeting with God, you shall never die again. ||3||

Sadly the translation is a quicky from Sikhitothemax, which although in itself is a great thing, has avoided any reference to these concepts, which should be untranslated in my opinion so as to highlight them.

• 2 months later...

Here is another translation you might like:

Sarā sarī­aṯ lė kammāvahu.

Make thou the practice of the Name and the religious conduct thy 'Shariat', the first stage of moral life.

ਤਰੀਕਤਿ ਤਰਕ ਖੋਜਿ ਟੋਲਾਵਹੁ ॥

तरीकति तरक खोजि टोलावहु ॥

Ŧarīkaṯ ṯarak kẖoj tolāvahu.

Make the search for God and abandonment of the world thy 'Triquat', the second stage of moral life.

ਮਾਰਫਤਿ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰਹੁ ਅਬਦਾਲਾ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਹਕੀਕਤਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਫਿਰਿ ਨ ਮਰਾ ॥੩॥

मारफति मनु मारहु अबदाला मिलहु हकीकति जितु फिरि न मरा ॥३॥

Mārfaṯ man mārahu abḏālā milhu hakīkaṯ jiṯ fir na marā. ||3||

O holyman, make the silencing of the mind thy 'Marft the third stage and meeting with God, thy 'Haqiqat' the fourth one, by which thou shalt not die again.

• 4 weeks later...