Sant Baba Makhan Singh Sevapanthi 'The Unstruck Symphony'

tSingh

This one comes courtesy of Kam1826

A plug for a fairly new book

Sant Baba Makhan Singh Sevapanthi's wonderful Sukhmani Steek has been published in english under the title 'The Unstruck Symphony'. The punjabi version is given out free from the dera, but this 500 page english version is available at book shops. It looks great too! Sant Makhan Singh Ji is the mahant of Dera Sattowaali Gali Taksal in Amritsar.

It is replete with great sakhis and insightful commentary. CSJS have copies, I'm not sure who else. I THINK (not sure) its published by the Sikh Foundation.

Like i said to the great Sahu tSingh this is a great work .i suggest the punjabi and english steek. it is wonderful. The steek is made from the kath of Sukhmani Sahib and is put into book form word by word from the katha on www.gurmatveechar.com

if you cant get the steek please listen to the katha i really enjoyed it and preferred it to the katha shaant saagar by sant kirpal singh ji sato gali walae and sant surjit singh ji revari walae

This is great seva.

Most of the satogali taksali steeks approach gurbani via uthanka(history) behind the tuks, quotes. Does this steek approach sukhmani sahib from historocial angel as well or just fully adhyatamic?

both it starts off with the uthanika as always then goes into the meanings and adhyatmik meanings. also has alot of stories to aid a persons understanding. i went to see sant makhan singh ji whilst in india. they are brilliant. they have just complete 2100 marrages for poor people of all faiths and do this every 6 months. i have dvds which i will put on google. they are also doing alot of katha. baba ji gave myself and every member of my family a siropa and a copy of their book free. we tried to give them money for it but told us to only give money to guru sahib which we did after. if anyone goes to amritsar i would suggest going to see them

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really like the steek, whilst the standard of English at times in not great, it conveys important messages in a very simple matter.

Various techniques are used to convey a clearer understanding, a long with literal translation wider references from bani are used, Sant Ji mentions some of his own experiences in life, many sakhia are told from the times of the Gurus and of various mahapursh. Theres a few parables and also the odd comparison to other religions in there. A great job is also done in making everything relevant to our every day lives.

I cant say I have come across such a simple to understand text with so much gyan in it before. I also like the way that the clear structure of Sukhmani Sahib is conveyed. A must read for anyone wanting to understand sukhmani sahib.

I did worry about where the translation of Sukhmani Sahib came from though. In places it was a bit over elaborated. I wonder if the translator relied on the (generally poor) english translations?

A great write up M-D-S, spot on. He does make it relevant and simple and puts in a few allusions to more complicated elements too.