Nihang Nid-dar Singh lecture today

Sorry this is being posted so late, if you are able to try and make it (ned to be quick)!

Vaisakhi Spring Festival

Victoria and Albert Museum, Sunday 29 April 2007, 11am to 5pm

Special session (1pm and 3pm): From sword strikes to brush strokes:

demonsrating warrior techniques as shown in Mughal, Pahari and Sikh art

(16th-19th centuries) In this fascinating seminar blending beauty and

brawn, Niddar Singh Nihang demonstrates how a wide range of battlefield

techniques employed over the centuries by Muslim, Hindu and Sikh

warriors of the Indian-subcontinent have been depicted in the artistic

traditions of Indian and Persian artists.

**************************************** All events are free. For

more information: Victoria and Albert Museum

Cromwell Road

London SW7 2RL

020 7942 2000

www.vam.ac.uk <http>

Sorry veer ji, I am not the marketing agent for Baba Darbaara Akhara..

I honestly thought that on my senior veers had advertised it, but decided to double check early on today!

Lecture was excellent. 2 hours long, going through many old paintings depicting Kali, Krishan Ji, Fighting from around India, wars from ancient times to the Anglo-Sikh wars.. some really beautiful and hugely descriptive art. Nihangs Ji then talked through the paintings, demonstrating the techiniques and psychology behind them.

Also, many different shaster and their correct techniques were shown, battle formations were demonstrated. The unsuitability of Gatka techniques were clearly demonstrated. All this was of course presented in Nihang Ji's usually informal and humourous way.

Really cool.

Nihang Ji in my opinion carries a lot of weight on his shoulders being one of the last practitioners of this huge level of knowledge. I pray God blesses him and gives him the strength and resources to help preserve and share Guru beautiful Ji's gift with all Guru Ji's children.

I will endeavour to post adverts earlier next time (if no one else has done so).

Vaheguru

Rupz stated: "I was at this talk too. I thought it was excellent! And Niddar Singh showed a Helmet (worn over the Keski) worn by the Nihangs and I thought woww, we already had them! On the top of the Helmet was even room for your kesh on the top"

One will find that the V&A has housed a "turban helmet" from the times of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh for many years, it was worn by all Sikhs in combat not just the Nihangs as is now being claimed.

More importantly it goes to show the attitude against helmets in modern times is frankly laughable!

One will find that the V&A has housed a "turban helmet" from the times of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh for many years, it was worn by all Sikhs in combat not just the Nihangs as is now being claimed.

who is claiming that only the nihangs wore it?

Nihang Ji didn't say only Nihangs wore helmets, or even that Nihangs wore them if i remember correctly. He was showing an example of a Sikh helmet. From what I know, they were only ever worn by Sardaars (generals) in Ranjit Singhs (M) armies, they were normally quite elaborate and expensive to make, hence the generally worn by the more wealthy members and associates of the "royal" family or generals etc.

Nihangs wore and wear dhumalla's of various sorts, whic also serve the purpose of carrying shastar and identifying Akali Singhs.

Nihang Ji didn't say only Nihangs wore helmets, or even that Nihangs wore them if i remember correctly. He was showing an example of a Sikh helmet. From what I know, they were only ever worn by Sardaars (generals) in Ranjit Singhs (M) armies, they were normally quite elaborate and expensive to make, hence the generally worn by the more wealthy members and associates of the "royal" family or generals etc.

Nihangs wore and wear dhumalla's of various sorts, whic also serve the purpose of carrying shastar and identifying Akali Singhs.

Sorry. Thanks for correcting me. I think Niddar Singh also said that Dhumallay were worn over the Turban Helmet?