Alcohol

it wasn't an absolute statement - it was a generalisation

what I meant was that to 'drink something' was being used metaphorically and referred to the act of intentionally doing something 'bad' on a sustained basis

so if someone drinks alcohol physically and on a sustained basis is this quote applicable? would that constitute durmat?

Chatanga Ji,

I can't help but think your discussion is a wind up, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, otherwise I have been clearly duped.

Dur-Mat means evil/perverse/selfish/negative/maya engrossed (what you will) Mat - intelligence/thought/persona.

This is in contrast to Gur-Mat.

If someone drinks alcohol on a sustained basis which mat do think they are likely to be employing? Unless it's a rare, desperate medical condition the sharaab is helping with, what other reasons would someone drink alcohol for.... would these other reasons constitute Gur-Mat?

I think your wasting your time with specifics, Sikhi is about the bigger picture. Durmat, the wine mentioned in Bani on the large part, Manmukhi etc are spoken of so man can apply correct bibek. That is what needs to be drummed into peoples heads, the understanding of who is a manmukh and Gurmukh will only truely be understood then.

Otherwise these people will continue to quote drawrofs above mentioned song, continue to justify their actions and trick themselves into thinking that they are Gur-Mukhs.

Apologies brother for making u think this a windup, I am deadly serious though, as this is an issue over whether I have myself mislead the sangat or whether people who stand to gain from others drinking alcohol are correct in thier interpretation of gurbani.

However from the above posts I think that I have recieved the answer somewhat to my original question.

I think it is blasphemous that you guys all subscribe to

'khao peeo aish karo mitro, dil par kissay da dukhayo na'

And who on this thread subscirbes to that?

Or do you all have such a limited grasp of english that you can't see that even with a generalised interpretation of 'drinking wine' to mean sustained bad action would include alcohol consumption in its umbrella?

Before you start, this is a metaphoric umbrella, not some gigantic piece of canvas in the sky.

Xylitol, if you read the post which started this topic you will understand what im getting at. I am totally against alcohol and its promotion.

I used a taksal steek to do a presentation on alcohol and i was reprimanded by the comittee of the gurdwara for doing so. They were saying that the gurbani i used and its translation by Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale was wrong. So i have asked for the views of the members of this group.

PLease enlighten me on which shabads explicitly forbid alcohol in Guru Granth and Dasam Guru Granth plz. For me the line i used is proof enough but I still want to make sure that I have not in any way mislead the sangat with my presentation.

chatanga

Guys, I was joking and chatanga is just explaining how wine is used as a metaphor for corruption. Nothing of what he has said has promoted the usage of alcohol so lets not put words in his mouth!!

I see his point, and I would have read it that way..if alcohol were used to clean a wound, it would not be seen as a nasha...it would be seen as a cleanser. That isn't the point though, alcohol in itself isn't bad, but man's addiction is...similar to how it has been deciphered above

• 4 months later...

Pray truth for all and Sat Sri Akal .

A good few months ago, when i was gonna get my head beaten in , by the comiiteee of my local gurdwara , i started this discussion about a translation of a line of Gurbani by Sant Gurbachan Singh. on my recent visit to Panjab , I bought a copy of "Gurmat Martand" by Bhai Kahn Singh Naba. He gives exactly the same meaning as Sant Gurbachan Singh . Just wanted to share this wiv the sangat.

chatanga

ps also Panth Prakash of Bhangoo in english is available now. didnt know that Panth Parkaash was written as a reply to an english officer (murray) enquiring about Sikh history.

• 5 months later...

pray truth for all and Sat Sri Akal.

in the 15 vol katha of Aad Guru Granth Sahib Sant Gurbachan Singh ji that has come into my posssession, i have listened to the pangati that i started this topic about way back in 2007.

Sant Ji gives exactly the same meaning as i read in a steek. However in the recording he goes further on to say that the man who drinks alcohol is a "kanjar".

• 3 weeks later...

Wine and alcohol is totally ok to drink. But if you drink for reasons or it is habit then there might be problems.

Cheers!

Yes, I agree with yours. In the bizzaro world that you are talking about it is totally ok to also use Coccain, Heroin. But if you are taking Cocaine and Heroin for reason or it is habit then there might by problems. :P 8) :shock:

• 1 year later...

The youth now a days say that they drink casually socially once and a while adn dont get completley smashed but just a bit buzzed if anything. What in real terms of SIKHI should we say to them if you think it is wrong? People saying that it is a waste of time adn all that is not a valid argument. We all do a lot of things that are worldly that waste time. It isnt good for your bhagti but what LEGITIMATE reason should we give our youth to not drink?

WHYYY

(playing devils advocate)

Yes, I agree with yours. In the bizzaro world that you are talking about it is totally ok to also use Coccain, Heroin. But if you are taking Cocaine and Heroin for reason or it is habit then there might by problems. :P 8) :shock: