A sakhi regarding bhang

amardeep

Gurfateh ji.

A few years ago i talked to a nihang who told me that there is a sakhi in Charitro Pakhyan wherein it is mentioned that you can only use bhang for three occasions..

1. Before battle

2. Before simran

3. Before sex

have any of you heard of this sakhi, and do you know the number of this sakhi in the charitro pakhyan so that i can look it up?

I need this sakhi for some research so i hope that you will be able to help me.

not sure about intake bhang before battle or sex. But taking bhang before simran directly contradicts sri guru nanak dev maharaj bachans to mughal who offered guru maharaj intoxicants- Naam Khumhari Nanaka Charaie Rahe Din Raat

I have read about some stories in Charitropakhyan where intoxicnats are used before sex.

Also I know people use bhang for meditation, I have read that Shiva Ji used bhang for meditation.

Also N3O Singh ji, which intoxicants were offered to Guru Nanak Dev Ji by Mughal (was it Babbar?) , did they include bhang, or was it just wine?

its possible you just misread it, many things are taken out of context in the charitars

one quote people have used is, "if you dont take bhang you are not a man". people have used this quote to reference how khalsa MUST take shahidi degh. and again it was propogated by bahadur ali. however, in actuality, it was part of what the women in the specific story was telling her husband, as she was trying to deceive her husband.

hmm here's something interesting i found:

'Sofi [Teetotallers] Soom [Misers, i.e. Soom + Sofi means 'coward'] will not be kept in the Khalsa Panth. The Panth has been created for desire of horrendous deeds [war]. Then the Guru [Gobind Singh] said these words:

"Make a cauldron of Sukha. I desire an intoxicant, which gives great bliss. Of all intoxicants cannabis is best because even Shiva used it. It helps with certainty to focus the mind on Sat Guru's feet. It calms the worries of the mind. It gives peace to the heart. Make Sukha for destroying suffering. Khalsa consumes it with black pepper. It makes the body hungry and strong [sukha is a powerful protein drink]. It takes away the suffering of all."

Then were made great cauldrons of Sukha. Some Singhs drank once while others had second helpings. Then coming near the Guru, focusing their minds on the Guru, they shouted 'Mara Bakara' [Death chant] 'Plunder Delhi and Lahore'. They strike 'nughdas' of cannabis [ball of Sukha residue] at the heads of their enemies. They read verses and nurture the holy name. At mid day they consume Sukha, bathe and be happy. Sitting together they comb their hair. Unravelling their turbans, they bind them on firmly. In a high voice they sing the scriptures. Others listen so as love increases in the heart [for the Guru]. Binding on weapons they get ready. Coming near the Guru they please him. They are beautifully adorned with sword and long hair. They [Akali Nihang Singhs] always desire a battle. When this new tradition [of Khalsa] came into being, seeing this, the Hindus and Muslims were astounded. They [singhs] have good traditions and their conduct is all-good. They have a good dress - they wear breaches. Dressed in weapons and good clothes they look good. For enemies they are a terror but the minds of friends they win over. Jagat jooth [taboo food of the world, i.e. tobacco] they don't go near. Seeing it they greatly curse it. Such was the Khalsa Panth.'

('Siri Gurpartap Suraj Granth', Edited by Bhai Vir Singh, Vol.12, Pa.5066-5067)

"I have read about some stories in Charitropakhyan where intoxicnats are used before sex."

As jsingh96 says, that doesn't mean that its a green light for the rest of us.

Charitropakhyan tells us in many cases, stories of 'excess' and immorality - the point being to 'not' do many of these things. There are also stories containing homosexual behaviour - I have yet to meet people going around saying this is also what Singh Panth must because it is written in Charitropakhyan!!

It's best to read the stories yourself and understand their purpose in doing so rather than rely on chameleonic fools like Bahadur Ali.

.......Is there any commentaries in the bani where Maharaj has written his purpose of writing this Granth, ........

The title says it all.

@Londondajatt: That's the translation from the Sarbloh website isn't it?

Suraj Parkash is valuable but not error free.......

• 2 months later...

Here is the sakhi for those interested.

There once existed in Eastern part of India, the important town of Khambhavati, which was ruled by Raja Roop Sain, who had vanquished all his adversaries. He had the wife, named Madan Manjri, who was extremely beautiful and sweet tempered. The Raja, however, was a great drug addict, and was a great debauch and adulterator. He used to take opium and hemp to the extent of 50 cups a day, and would copulate with numerous women each day.

There was a woman, named Ras Tilak Manjri, who was married to a very rich merchant, who would never use any drug or intoxicant. The merchant was a self centered man. The merchant would hate all those person, who were drug addicts. He was of the view that the drug addicts were on the path to ruin themselves. He was an extremely miser person and would never part with money to help any one. But his wife Ras Tilak Manjri used to call him an accursed man, who did not use intoxicant drugs. She further stated that those who did not use drug, they could not enjoy with women; not become the great warriors to fight on the battlefield unless they use drugs; and similarly yogis meditate on God with the help of drugs.

The miser merchant then spoke about the evil effects of drug addiction, which ruins the person. His wife then reiterated the merits of being active,and successful persons in life with the help of the drugs, who become the great doners and help the needy. Those misers who do not use drugs, what useful work they can do.

The drug user becomes the great warrior, keeps his mustaches in a curved position, which can even hold a lemon. She further told her husband that his worth was of an animal, who is always engaged in minting money, in weighing things in a balance, and has never used sword. On hearing this the merchant was outraged and beat his wife.

The merchant’s wife then took liberty to state that she considered giving donations to Brahmins, wielding sword against evil persons and helping the poor, are the meritorious acts. Also, it was the duty of a husband to take care of his wife and to satisfy her fully. All this was not possible without taking the help of the drugs. Only those person do not use drugs, who have no Giving Capacity, and are of no worth and ultimately die of the dog’s death. The merchant then said that the poor ones create money, while the drug addicts cause total destruction.

The Merchant’s wife again started praising use of drugs. Those who use drugs they ever remain vigilant and are not cheated, rather cheat others. They win the hearts of women and fully satisfy them, while others are good for nothing in relation to their wives. Such brave men who use drugs exhibit their bravery on the battlefield, marry the nymphs of heaven and make heaven their abode. Such men are honored in the world. Those men who do not use drugs, do not go for a game in jungles, never help any poor or needy one, never applied perfumes to the body, nor have the taste for music and do not enjoy to their hearts contents in sex relations with women, for what purpose did they come to this world.

The merchant’s wife in various ways giving her signals to her husband to satisfy her sex hunger, but the stupid husband did not understand. He beat her with a whip so much that she in turn played the trick with him. She fell posed to be unconscious and fell on the ground. Then her husband picked her up and embraced her. The merchant then told his wife, that he was very happy that she had been saved. He then asked her as to what he should do for her. The wife then said that invite all including the Raja, and give a feast. The merchant then got prepared many types of dishes and invited every one including the Raja.

All the invitees sat together and the merchant’s wife developed friendship with the Raja there. The merchant’s wife put hemp in Raja’s food. Thereafter she made Raja sleep with her husband. By eating hemp leaves, the Raja became active, while her husband fell asleep. The Raja became intimate friend to the merchant’s wife. When the feast was over, the merchant’s wife said that the whole day the Raja would remain in her house. In the evening the Raja would go to his house, he would then be available to his people there. The merchant’s wife had sex with the Raja, while the merchant laid unconscious.

The merchant was then tied underneath a cart, and the merchant’s wife put all the merchant’s wealth in the cart and herself also jumped into it. The Raja thus took the cart with merchant’s wife and wealth in it, and merchant tied to the cart beneath, to his house. The Raja then ordered to take the empty cart with merchant tied beneath, back to the merchant’s house.

When night passed, in the morning the merchant woke up and with great humiliation wondered who had tied him beneath the cart. He then realized that whatever he had said harsh words to his wife, she had felt grieviously hurt and she had left him by taking all his wealth along with her. God has created such a situation for him to endure.

The Guru says: What is destined by Him that alone comes to fruition; What ever God has written on one’s forehead, that alone comes to pass.

When the merchant came to consciousness, he did not tell his sad story to any one; considering that she had taken all the wealth with her on pilgrimage to sacred stations to take bath in the holy waters.

that is character dialogue! its a bloody story! Not direct instructions to us. Every character in this charitar is presented in a bad light, therefore we are most certainly not being directed to learn from any of their actions, rather to learn about what lust will drive people to, what the character of lustful people is and to learn from all these characters mistakes.

No point using gurbani for our own purposes! No wonder anti-Dasam granth people have so much fuel.

Silence is right. This clearly character dialogue. I can't beleive some would ever take this out of context. I've always thought that Bhang was used as a pain killer by warriors. But the Nihang who told Amardeep that you can use it for only three reasons is obviously misguided or attempting to misguide others.

we can only see with our own eyes, so if someone gives their perception or opinion, it is already tainted by our own perception of whether we regard it is correct or incorrect,

In the sidh ghhost Guru Nanak does not claim that the sadhs are incorrect he simply answers their questions with his own opinions, they listen and ask questions from their perspective to understand further their own nature.

In the same way the use of any substance even naam, even sikhi, even the punjabi language and the wearing of dastars or karas etc all is subject to ones own opinions and perspectives, if bhang has a purpose to the user then so be it, and if it does not then so be it, one can only misguide themselves, you can not blame another.

I would say that vegitarianism is much worse then bhang consumption, after all it warps a persons minds, people become elitist (just look at bhramins and most amritdhari groups) they also see themselves as compassionate towards animals yet remain oblivious to the fact they are killing billions of living organisms in one breath, or even in one step,

Plus everyone argues it is a better life choice, yet nobody accepts each and every person is individual their life is not your life so why would your choice be their choice.

Then again all of what I have stated is simply my opinion. my perspective,

and all that you are reading is your perspective of what I have wrote, so unless your perspective is my perspective then it will never be what I am actually trying to say, and in such a way the only ones who know the true perspective of all perspectives is the one perspective of ultimate perspectiveness, those attuned to the non perspective of God perspective.

Those that look not with their eyes but their hearts, and they do not care about what one eats or drinks, bhang or milk, they care only if the heart is attuned to the infinite bliss of the lords charan, everything else is simply an act on the stage of existence.

:P