Bhai Baj Singh - Ibritnama

Malwe Da Sher

I've heard a few people mention the story of Bhai Baj Singh who upon having one of his shackles released killed twelve Turk soldiers. Bhai Baj Singh was one of the Singhs that was martyred along with Baba Banda Singh Bahadur. Has anyone come across the original text this is mentioned in which I think is called Ibritnama?

Im not sure Singh although I have heard the same from somewhere, just can recall where. Im pretty certain Bhai Baj Singh was a Jatt from Mirpur, whereas Maharajs family where all of Khatri origin. Bhai Baj Singh and his 3 brothers were among the panj pyarai sent with Baba Banda Singh Bahadur, the other being Baba Binod Singh Ji.

Baba Baaj Singh Ji was the son of Baba Binod SIngh Ji. Both of them are descendants of Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji. Also with them was Baba Kahan Singh who as a descendant of Guru Amar Das Ji. I cannot recall in which grath i have read this katha

I have also heard this katha from Baba Hari Singh Ji who were in immense Bir Ras when they were explaining the discourse. Awesome vidya skills by Baba Baaj SIngh Ji to kill that many people with only his Kara!

Veerji, Baba Kahan Singh was the son of Baba Binod Singh Ji who was descendent of Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji.

Bhai Baj Singh became governor of Sirhand aftre the Singh sacked the city. Did he kill them with his karra, I have heard elsewhere he got hold of one of the guards tulwars. Hence, it would be good to see original source.

Sorry Singh, Yes Baba Kahan Singh was the son of Baba Binod Singh and Baba Baaj Singh was a descendant of the third Guru.

Baba Baaj Singh Ji used his Kara to kill many of the Turks. The Talwar was only reached for for the remaining 2 or 3 soldiers.

I suggest trying to contect Baba Hari SIngh Ji for more inof. Also i can recall many years ago this sakhi coming into one of the issues of the Atam Marg by Baba Waryam Singh Ji. That might be worth searching for

• 1 year later...

What is Ibritnama about?

Bhai Baaj Singh was a very strong and brave Sikh. His bravery and fighting skills were famous far and wide. So much was his name that even the king of India had heard about him. He defeated the most strong and skilled Pathaans and Moslems in one-on-one fights in the battlefields.

When Bhai Baaj Singh was caught and brought to Delhi, he remained in high spirits and could be heard singing Gurbani loudly and saying Vaheguru Vaheguru all the time.

The following conversation and incident has recorded in the writings of Moslem and English writers who eye-witnessed the incident that took place.

The king of Delhi at that time was Farukhsiyaar and as he had heard about Baaj Singh he asked a group of Sikhs brought before him to be killed, "Which one of you is Baaj Singh", asked the king. "I am Baaj Singh the humblest servant of my Guru", replied Baaj Singh in high spirits. "I heard you are very brave and strong. What can you do now ?"

"Why don't you open my hands and feet and I will tell you what I can do", challenged Bhai Baaj Singh.

The emperor thought that what can a hunger-stricken person do amidst so many of his strong soldiers. So he ordered that his chains be opened.

As soon as the soldier opened his chains in feet, Baaj Singh like lightening grabbed a sword from a soldier nearby and killed 7 soldiers by the time he was caught and overpowered. This happened so fast that no one got time to think. The king ran for cover saying "Tauba Tauba, khudaaya Khudaaya". When he was caught, the king ordered him to be executed immediately.

We have to think that what power was it that prompted Baaj Singh to act like this. That was the power of Naam and bhagti that he had done. Otherwise a normal person becomes half dead if he or she does not eat for one day only. But Dhan Bhai Baaj Singh who had not eaten properly for the last 9 months and still managed to put up such a show.

My head bows before Bhai Baaj Singh who lived a warrior and died a warrior. If we can become even 1/10th of what Bhai Baaj Singh was, we would have no problem estabilishing any Raaj Bhaag.

From Tapoban.org

Edited by GuptSingh1699

• 5 years later...

Sorry Singh, Yes Baba Kahan Singh was the son of Baba Binod Singh and Baba Baaj Singh was a descendant of the third Guru.

Baba Baaj Singh Ji used his Kara to kill many of the Turks. The Talwar was only reached for for the remaining 2 or 3 soldiers.

I suggest trying to contect Baba Hari SIngh Ji for more inof. Also i can recall many years ago this sakhi coming into one of the issues of the Atam Marg by Baba Waryam Singh Ji. That might be worth searching for

Wow, akal.

Crystal

Have people bothered to check the Ibratnama? I mean it is available in a modern translation in Grewal and Habib's book. 

It's been a few years since I read the book but I don't recall reading about this when I did? I'm sure it would have stuck in my mind if I had?