Sant confusion

My friends have been talking about a guy called Ram Rahim and I know the basics about him that he's an idiot - no offence. The conversation goes on to my friend comparing Sant Baba Ranjit Singh to him (RR) going on about them(Sants) all being the same.

So, I've never heard of this guy and from what I 'have' heard lately there is a lot of controversy around him. Can someone clear the air for me........

- These days there are lot of fake Sants. In reality they are NOT Sant. They are ruining the name of true Sants also because normal people will think that all Sants are of this nature.

- There are some people who are allergic to this word: "Sant". They will give examples of fake Sants and say bad about the true Sants which is NOT a good practice. Saying that "ALL Sants being the same (comparing fake with real)" is NOT true.

- Ram Rahim is FAKE and we all know it.

- I've heard some deewans of Sant Ranjit Singh Ji's deewans and I don't see any thing against the Gurmat. I don't think he should be compared to Ram Rahim. He is simply trying to preach the message of Gurmat/Sikh/Khalsa (pure).

It depends on the individuals interpretation of Sant.

Personally I would just say that Bhai Ranjit Singh is a very good and entertaining parcharak, who seems to be passionate about Sikhi and the Panth - which is a good thing.

I would not put him or his knowledge or personal on the level of Sant Ishar Singh Rarasahib or Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji etc, who spent many, many years of their life in intense seva and learning before finally preaching..

I used to be a big fan, but as my moh for Guru has increased, my blind patriotism for personalities has been put into context.

I now see that Bhai Sahib did make mistakes, but I also see that he has accepted that and is continuing his good work. That aside, I don't feel we can really judge someone unless we have spent much personal time with them or seen that they make obvious errors.

He certainly isn't comparable to Ram Raheem, although 'that video' didn't do his legendary status (at that time) any favours.

Not all Sants are at the same level. Ram Rahim isn't even a Sant. He claims to be a "Guru" at the same level as Guru Nanak Dev Jee. Sants like Sant Ishar Singh Jee and Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee were servents of Guru Nanak Dev Jee.

Sant Ranjit Singh Dandarian wala has been domonised alot. He may not be perfect, but he did not deserve being demonised the way he was especially by Prof Darshan Singh Jee on Radio.

People are quicker to point fingers and try to pull down Baba Ranjit Singh ji more because of his age and influence. To have such a tremendous positive influence on the Sangat, there has to be Kirpa of Satguruji. You have to travel to Punjab and see how much change their large diwans have brought in the Sangat.

Most of the points people raise, they answer on stage. I have listened to a few of their diwans on cds, and their parchar is very effective.

They even state that real change happens at the village level gurdwara, not so much in one day massive diwans.

Some well intentioned people do feel uneasy with their lack of time they've spent in bhagati or study, but it's all in maharaj ji's hukam how they wish to use their sevadaars. Who knows how much bhagati they have from previous lives.

Not taking away from gursikhs who've spent decades in bhagati and study before starting parchar, but we need to acknowledge that Satguruji can get their work done through anyone, in anyway.

good point dtf.

I want to share something wiv the sangat as well. I was listening to a tape of Sant Jarnail Singh, and he stated that he was asked why the jatha duznt just stick to santhiya, and he replied that the situation (regarding the nirankaris) required that parchaar of shabad guru was the main priority.

dtf's post has reminded me of the words of Sant Jarnail Singh, and its is true. There are only so many hours in the day. we have to prioritise our actions, individually and as a community as well.

Sant Ranjit Singh has done a lot of good parchaar, and i think also that being a young man he appealed more to younger people, than if someone who had a long white beard were to say exactly the same thing. Am i alone in this thinking?

i agree with what you say chatanga (even though I have not had the opportunity to listen to them). Furthermore, and what i think get up some peoples noses - is his charismatic persona on stage. I dont think people object to his message its just that they envy his following, stlye of preaching, and of course, the donations he gets.

Also ,I dont think its normal sangat who criticise; even sants/sadhus suffer from the green eyed monster, at times leading to killing those who they dont like.

• 3 months later...

My friends have been talking about a guy called Ram Rahim and I know the basics about him that he's an idiot - no offence. The conversation goes on to my friend comparing Sant Baba Ranjit Singh to him (RR) going on about them(Sants) all being the same.

So, I've never heard of this guy and from what I 'have' heard lately there is a lot of controversy around him. Can someone clear the air for me........

Its been a miss lead from alot of sikh reagrding sant

The sikh with exterimism dont belive in sant and do promote disrespect towards sant

And we sikh belive in them

Here i am not talking about Ram Rahim he cant be the true sant

Real sant would never do what is doing

I am talking about a real or true sant

Why not ask this question to our guru thats Sri Guru Granth Sahib why to listen people

If you do path please refrer to Sukmani Sahib and you will know gurbani had given that respect and importance to sant

even in Granth Sahib there a few sant whoses bani is also there so when we bow at our living guru we also bow to those sant

Please carefully read Sukhmani Shaib and if its still not clear put the remarks and i will try to answer that

In Sukmani Sahib sant is refer as sant and also as Brahim gyani