keski wale kuriyaa

yea, i get u r point.. but i dont know about it. It wont really matter if bibi ji's wore keski. Its all be personal choice, but someone who is in love with the Guru wont shy away from wearing a keski if she wanted to within.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its alright Jassa. Take it easy. Khalsa Soulja so you talked about a distinct form, actually the form that Guru Ji imparted to Khalsa was that of Nihung. Read the post topic on "Khalsa True Form". Nihungs are the ones that are keeping the original form that was first made by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Guest kaur1699

wat do nihung women wear?? is there such thing?? and do they wear keski?

I asked a someone who knew a fair bit about Nihangs the same question and he said they do exist and one is known as a 'Nihangni'. This is from word of mouth info and i don't know how much truth there is to it...

Okay on the otherside.. I have to say that our parmpara is lost. We were suppose to be fauj of akal purak, well versed in weapons, fighting skills and we are suppose to dress like those Nihangs and carry all the shasters with us. Thats our true roots, our true living. Coz when Khalsa was made everyone was Nihang and anyone who wanted to join the khalsa order.. were like those nihangs. We are supposed to be armed with all the shasters :stan:

lol yeh bt mate to do wat?? to walk round lookin scary?? an important thing is to carry a kirpan ( of a good length ) and be able to use it...

n itd be pretty hard to walk round with a tank, like u sed, and not get ne attention form the mameh!!

• 2 months later...

wat do nihung women wear?? is there such thing?? and do they wear keski?

Gur Fateh!

Nihangnees may or may not wear a dastaar from what I have personally seen and come across. During battle times, yes, we can see the Dastaar being worn (in as much a disguise as it is for other reasons), however at the same time, portraits of a Nihang with his nihangnee often show the latter to dressed with jewellery head to toe and with a churri-pajama or long Gagra, blouse or flowing top with a dupatta over her head (in one example, I have seen the dupatta held in place with an assortment of jewellery and/or Sarabloh items).

I guess they're just practical as per the situation they find themselves in, that's all.

Sat Sri Akal!

well in that case its directed at women because men dont wear lipstick and mascara. well you might, but thats none of my business. :LOL:

now now!!! behave boys!!!

----------------------------

Gur Fateh!

Sardar Sahib Khalsa Soulja Ji, I note your reference, however from my recollection, the portrait showed the Nihangnee without make-up (note: I personally have no problem for ladies with or without it) however she did appear to be heavily adorned with jewellery, but given its a black-and-white portrait, I can't comment if its 'sarabloh' and 'attracting all sorts of wonderful energy and special magnetic fields' as some allude or if it is of any other metal...what I will say however is that the artifacts are jewellery and not all weapons from the looks of things -but I could be wrong...

...that said, I personally see no issue in wearing jewellery...sure the rehitnama says so, but is this the rehitnama you follow? Or are you simply picking bits and pieces that suit your stance (which for you is fine, not necessarily for everyone else though)...

For me this ongoing "which rehit nama issue" is 'simply' addressed as follows...is the Chaupa Singh (or any other) rehitnama a timeless text like the Sri Guru (not that Maharaj is simply a text) or is it a practical application of basic practical elements, minimum criteria if you will, for the Khalsa Panth at the prevailing time and conditions?

Consider too the following items from the same rehit nama...(taken from Chaupa Singh Rahitnama, original manuscript, Sikh Reference Library, Sambat 1821, (1765 CE), item number, 506.

“Sword baptism is not to be administered to womenâ€

(and again from same rehit nama but taken from Rahitname by Piara Singh Padam):

Darbar sikhan de lagge vich maaee da jama, pothi Granth Sahib na parhe, sune sahi

In a congregation of Sikhs, the female gender, should not read the scripture Granth Sahib, she may listen alright. (page 106)

Gur ki sikhni maili hoike na parsad pakai na khawai

Guru's female sikh, if mensurating should neither cook food nor serve food. (page 107)

Personally, the Sri Guru is the ultimate rehitnama, the ultimate and timeless guide...

forgive any foolishness on my part...

GUR BAR AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!

i really find that to be quite disturbing.... :(

what could be the reasons why Bhai Sahib said this?

me too :? jad ke Guru Nanak dev JI said:

From the woman is our birth, in the woman's womb are we shaped;

To the woman we are engaged, to the woman we are wedded;

The woman is our friend and from woman is the family;

Through the woman are the bonds of the world;

Why call woman evil who gives birth to the leaders of the World?

From the woman is the woman, without woman there is none".

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 473

Darbar sikhan de lagge vich maaee da jama, pothi Granth Sahib na parhe, sune sahi

In a congregation of Sikhs, the female gender, should not read the scripture Granth Sahib, she may listen alright. (page 106)

Gur ki sikhni maili hoike na parsad pakai na khawai

Guru's female sikh, if mensurating should neither cook food nor serve food. (page 107)

no way man i dont believ dat

even if its comn from a rehitnama its not fair...far out no way i aint gona believe tat i know for sure that Guru ji wudnt say that thing for sure... :roll: :roll:

sant sahib niranjana akali maha-gangster singh

when it comes to do with anything to to with brahmins or women i do not trust bhai chaupa singh. he claims himself to be one of the original panj pyare, he is also very anti women at times and very pro brahmin. but this doesnt mean we shouldnt discount EVERYTHING he says - but we should be very careful reading his version of the rehat, cross referencing it with other sources to prove what we are saying is right.

the make up and jewelry thing, well its just common sense. women and men are expected to live a simple, modest lifestyle. they are told that they have no need to change their body from its natural form...why would they pierce themselves with earrings, cover their face with makeup or wear copious amounts of jewellry, frankly, like a rundhee? mata sahib kaur, etc all wore simple clothes and lived simply like the gurus did. theres a nice line from the guru granth that says "those who eat butter on their bread will sufffer in terrible pain" - what that means is live simply.

i fail to see any purpose in wearing makeup or jewelry other than trying to beautify oneself or attract the opposite sex. and both these things are discouraged.

there are also warnings against women wearing "ornaments" in the guru granth sahib i believe. but ill have to look that up.

on the flip side we can also apply the same type of rationale to expensive clothes....which, believe me, i am very guilty of :( ..... its sumthing i need 2 sort out.......need 2 shop at oxfam frm now on hahahahahhaa

yo KS i can't believe you just said that!!!

wearing jewellery means you are like a rundhee???? :shock: :? :evil:

Singh I think you need to wake up, it is very much against the right of choice and freedom for women if you say "women shouldn't wear makeup or jewelery" some women might like to wear that, and it makes me very very very uncomfortable that people such as yourself seem to come to conclusions about women so easily. :? :shock:

So a woman wearing jewellery/makeup should be taken for someone either wanting to attract men (whether married or not) or beautify oneself.... I wonder what your ancesters would make of that, what your great grandma would think of this... some women just feel better with it on or it is a tradition to wear "beautifying things"

What about having a zest for life, if a woman decides to make the most of what she has with makeup what has that got to do with you? Where do you get the idea of make sweeping statements like this for the whole of one gender?

further more please could you provide the proof of what Mata Sahib Kaur used to wear, jewellery or otherwise....

makeup and jewellery are a womans choice, just as the decision to have braces fitted to straighten teeth is also a mans (and womans) choice, you could do without them but still, some feel better with the straight teeth. Its own personal choice....

Sikhi is not about killing personal choice...... I am to be honest, very shocked. This is just as bad as Bhai Chaupa Singhs thing about women not cooking food at certain times of the month....

excessive jewlery definately makes u look like a rundhee.

piercing is definately against sikhi, no doubt.

i have already quoted a rehatnama and there are definately SGGS tukhs that support it and i will try to find them

its pretty obvious mata sahib kaur didnt wear jewelry because she was a simple, celibate woman. in the same way im pretty sure mata bhag kaur didnt have a nosepiercing when she was slicing up mughals.

im well sorry if you do wear jewellry.....but as a personal question......why do u wear it? i always took it that jewelry for sikhs was an obvious one.

oh, and no one in my family actually wears jewelry. especially not my gran. :) i think a few of my aunties and cousins wear lipstick though :(

for what reasons would you support wearing jewelry, considering that a simple life with very little extra trimmings is what we all ultimately end to have (eventually anyway)?