Butter - Do You Or Don'T You?

dalsingh101

I must confess that I stopped using butter for a good few years because I had begun to feel like I was pouring poison down my throat with all of the media noise about cholesterol. I've recently started to indulge again after years of using margarine! I still have a tub of Benecol type margarine around though.

Thing is, like the older lot would swear by butter and go on like it was some super food. I remember my cousin being given massive chunks of the stuff growing up.

Do you guys still have prontay drowned in butter? I haven't had one in years and the mere thought of it makes my heart beat faster (in fear I think). I think when you eat these things when your older it really makes you sluggish.

Do you guys eat butter regularly?

Edited by dalsingh101

With the type of physically demanding work the older lot did (not the parent's generation, but the grandparents), butter was essential. Well, their whole diet was more natural. Chemical pesticides and fertilizers hadn't become common yet, fruits and vegies were grown and eaten from their own land, no preservatives, waxes, growth chemicals.

With the work load and hot climate, folks didn't put on much weight.

Even today I think if we cut out our other fatty foods and stick to just butter, then it shouldn't be any problem. Only problem is, if we have a teaspoon of butter, then some chips (North American kind, not the "fishn'chips), then some fries, then some cookies,...

Restrict your diet to just the simple Punjabi diet( plenty of dahi, milk, dals, gheo) combined with plenty of cardio and weights...I see it as soney tey sohaga, no harm at all.

If on the other hand you can't be bothered to excercise, then do your heart a favor and skip the butter. As Gurbani says..."Khoob Khana kheechari"....rice and dal is just fine...

With the type of physically demanding work the older lot did (not the parent's generation, but the grandparents), butter was essential. Well, their whole diet was more natural. Chemical pesticides and fertilizers hadn't become common yet, fruits and vegies were grown and eaten from their own land, no preservatives, waxes, growth chemicals.

With the work load and hot climate, folks didn't put on much weight.

Even today I think if we cut out our other fatty foods and stick to just butter, then it shouldn't be any problem. Only problem is, if we have a teaspoon of butter, then some chips (North American kind, not the "fishn'chips), then some fries, then some cookies,...

Restrict your diet to just the simple Punjabi diet( plenty of dahi, milk, dals, gheo) combined with plenty of cardio and weights...I see it as soney tey sohaga, no harm at all.

If on the other hand you can't be bothered to excercise, then do your heart a favor and skip the butter. As Gurbani says..."Khoob Khana kheechari"....rice and dal is just fine...

I dont have my rotia chopriya, and dont really like my daal sabzi made with butter thurka. We normally use olive oil in the house for cooking, however the ghar wali sometimes loves to throw a massive tikki of butter into the food. The main thing is as the above poster said, do your mehntha and excercises and the butter will be beneficial rather than detrimental. If you spend your time sitting around and eating with little or no excercise you will naturally get clogged arteries, high cholesterol and fat. If you have a good regime of excercise (dand behtaks are the best) then you have nothing to worry about. Old school desi wrestlers used to drink vats of sakkar ghee (sugar with butter) and then do their training.

DalSIngh

I must add that any natural source fat is way better than eating margarine. Its pure trans-fat poison!

You know I've often wondered how synthetic marj could be better than natural butter?

Whats the difference between the two?

But what is the that white stuff that remains behind?

I think they're milk solids or proteins, not sure. In desi terms it's all the impurities.

This is an interesting fact posted on wikipedia under 'ghee':

Like any clarified butter, ghee is composed almost entirely of saturated fat. Ghee has been shown to reduce serum cholesterol in one rodent study.[4] Studies in Wistar rats have revealed one mechanism by which ghee reduces plasma LDL cholesterol. This action is mediated by an increased secretion of biliary lipids.

That khoya barfi is just heavenly. I think khoya is made specifically from buffalo milk not cow?

The dominant form of medicine that influences us re: what foods we eat, has its underpinnings in the assumption that physical food is the only food humans can consume and a human being consists of solely a physical body. In ayurveda humans consume three forms of food, physical food, air and impressions. The finer foods contribute to the substance of subtle bodies. That is why some truly religious people are very strict about where and from who they take food, because the environment affects the quality of the food. And certain foods have certain qualities that western medicine does not consider. E.g. milk is considered a 'good form of protein' but in reality milk is good because it is created out of pure love by the mother for her offspring. These and other qualities are totally ignored by modern medicine which reduces everything to physical components.