Why Young Generation Not Going To Gurudwara Sahib

simla5ks

I would imagine some of the causes would be:

They find it boring?

Don't understand? (language barrier)

Feel that katha doesn't apply to their everyday lives?

Alienation due to conservative, restrictive environment.

Sick of the hypocrisy commonly shown by community there?

Prefer doing other things?

Feel they can fulfill spiritual aspect of their lives at home?

Edited by dalsingh101

religion is also seen as boring, in todays times, and not cool amongst peers.

I don't know if that is true of Islam right now. Whatever else it may be perceived as - 'boring' doesn't come into the equation.

Edited by dalsingh101

Have our gurdwara's let us down? I don't think its fair to say that but I believe they will only take us so far. The rest of the journey has to be made within yourself and for that your maybe on your own or should I say two, you and Waheguru.

So so true...

It does get to a point when your faith grows bigger than the social enterprise that makes up a large part of the modern day Gurdwara experience.

I mean, it isn't like everyone there is an angel - people go because they are compelled by family and social conventions. People go to keep up appearances. Some gossip wildly when there. The politics that goes on in many Gurdwaras is noxious.

That's not to say that the space reserved there for personal devotional purposes isn't absolutely important though.

But ultimately, I think the path leads to a personal and internal journey. Self examination and being true to yourself. Getting stuck in petty Panjabi social up-man-ship or dodgy politics is a obstacle to this.

Edited by dalsingh101

and thats helping the young generation come to the Gurdwara?

???huh???

No but it helps pack mosques out. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from that?

Personally I think that the moment has passed. I remember people complaining about dwindling Gurdwara attendance by the youth more than twenty years ago no one did much then and here we are....

If anything, thinking outside the box must occur to bring those disassociated with the community back in. You must remember, some families are disconnected for 2 generations!

But REAL TALK, our lot are usually so judgmental and petty that many run a mile on encountering the 'sangat'. So unless we totally change our characteristic as a people (I can't see that happening) I don't think we'll see any reversal.

I think Sikhs will connect around other things like social media and museum exhibitions and the like?

Edited by dalsingh101

???huh???

this is about the young generation not coming to the gurdwara.

No but it helps pack mosques out. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from that?

maybe, but theirs is a koran-centric effort (with a little bit of juttiya). For them museums and such are a side-line. we have a gurbani-centric education program (which is the norm) and have to look to sideline pursuits eg football, museums to get them even thinking about gurbani.

we have a gurbani-centric education program (which is the norm)

Do we?

I'm unaware of what goes on in this respect across Gurdwaras.

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is the mushrooming of Islamic schools (in and around East London), which seem to have a variety of curricula. I think Saudi money is providing grants as they are well advertised (even on tube station platforms) and have professional looking adverts outside the venue.

I think apnay are generally confused about SIkhi.

Edited by dalsingh101

Because they are corrupt, run by bhappas, tarkhans and traitor jatts; with a strong masonic jewish backing.

Jatt youth arming themself though, Idk quoms some of them like always. ;)

VJKVJF||

edit - I mean truthfully, who wants to go talk to people who follow Queen Victoria religion?

No meat, be peaceful, 'non-violent', no dasam bani.

Lol like what?

Jatt rides on horses and batters down enemies.

Just like all Sikhs.

What a load of incoherent gibberish.

Jatt rides on horses and batters down enemies.

Are you on drugs? What fantasy world are you in?

I think they need a sense of purpose, importance ..... the so called Gurudawara committees / leaders are more interested in their status and putting down previous committees and now and again they serve Pizza and Chips to draw in the young and youth.

I think that music is key , get the youth to learn music properly from top musicians funded by the gurudawara, give the youth a target for example at the end of the 13/14 weeks of learning either , vaja, stringed instrument, tabla etc.. they will do kirtan on a big scale , hold a massive kirtan smagam where all over the UK are invited to perform , gives them a sense of purpose a sense of direction that they have a goal . so need to practice . The teachers should be at a certain level so they can teach properly , have a big community so the young and youth are learning from a set curriculum , so they can communicate with each / learn from each other regardless of their location and when they get to a certain level get them to teach , i see this can be adopted to sport , learning gurbani and most importantly practicing what our Guru is teaching us.

As Kaliyug is moving forward, the wind of Maya is blowing harder.

People of younger generations seek intelctual satisfaction, as time moves forward, children of each generation is moving more into intelctual levels, means they do not want blind faith. When we were young, we used to play with marbles or fly kites and so on, now since they are born, they are surrounded by technology, with smart phones, tablets, computers. I remeber a few years back, my cousin´s son, who was hardly 2 years, was handling an iphone like an adult, was dialing his dad´s number and sending messages, which even I can not do today, or maybe I will be able to do it after taking me some time, and these youngsters, they do everything(technology) very fast.

Their sat antenas(minds) catch, grasp, grab, everything which happens in front of their eyes.

So naturally, in this tech age,they want answers with sense and logic, as in this field, everything is done with the aid of science, which works, and is sustained on logic. Because that is how the sciences of this world work.

In the worldly sciences, first we learn(theory) then we work on it.

While in the spiritual science, first we need to work(bhajan bandagee), then only we get the knowledge or gyan.

So while being in this world, we have to keep a balance, between swarth and parmarth, and explain the truths to the youngsters in a simple and a natural way, without scaring them, or trying to impose on them, because that will make them rebels, and create adverse feelings for the path. So we should talk to them as friends, because that is how they are used to, and then give them space to digest and assimilate the truths of the Bani, slowly but gradually.

Sat Sree Aakal.

Edited by harsharan000

As Kaliyug is moving forward, the wind of Maya is blowing harder.

People of younger generations seek intelctual satisfaction, as time moves forward, children of each generation is moving more into intelctual levels, means they do not want blind faith. When we were young, we used to play with marbles or fly kites and so on, now since they are born, they are surrounded by technology, with smart phones, tablets, computers. I remeber a few years back, my cousin´s son, who was hardly 2 years, was handling an iphone like an adult, was dialing his dad´s number and sending messages, which even I can not do today, or maybe I will be able to do it after taking me some time, and these youngsters, they do everything(technology) very fast.

Their sat antenas(minds) catch, grasp, grab, everything which happens in front of their eyes.

So naturally, in this tech age,they want answers with sense and logic, as in this field, everything is done with the aid of science, which works, and is sustained on logic. Because that is how the sciences of this world work.

In the worldly sciences, first we learn(theory) then we work on it.

While in the spiritual science, first we need to work(bhajan bandagee), then only we get the knowledge or gyan.

So while being in this world, we have to keep a balance, between swarth and parmarth, and explain the truths to the youngsters in a simple and a natural way, without scaring them, or trying to impose on them, because that will make them rebels, and create adverse feelings for the path. So we should talk to them as friends, because that is how they are used to, and then give them space to digest and assimilate the truths of the Bani, slowly but gradually.

Sat Sree Aakal.

I completely disagree with your post. You would like the younger generations to follow blind faith. Instead of explaining with logic, you would prefer them to accept miracles?

So you prefer the youngsters to believe Baba Deep Singh fought without his head?

WOW!!! Sikh Dharam's entrance to the 21st century.

Edited by Kulsingh5

I completely disagree with your post. You would like the younger generations to follow blind faith. Instead of explaining with logic, you would prefer them to accept miracles?

So you prefer the youngsters to believe Baba Deep Singh fought without his head?

WOW!!! Sikh Dharam's entrance to the 21st cecorrntury.

I don't think that you have interpreted the post correctly.

I can't see anything about blind faith, going against logic(which is part of illusion),... and enforcing miracles !

Why do you speak so harshly towards my respected veer ?

Why do you speak against Baba Deep Singh ji ??........If you don't understand that he was able to continue without his head... then you don't realise what consciousness/soul is.

Edited by Lucky

I don't think that you have interpreted the post correctly.

I can't see anything about blind faith, going against logic(which is part of illusion),... and enforcing miracles !

Why do you speak so harshly towards my respected veer ?

Pai Shaib,

Have I miss understood this:

People of younger generations seek intelctual satisfaction, as time moves forward, children of each generation is moving more into intelctual levels, means they do not want blind faith.

and this:

?????

So you are trying to explain about a world, which you and I haven’t seen? What truth are we trying to explain to the youngsters and without scaring them at the same time?

Edited by Kulsingh5

People of younger generations seek intelctual satisfaction, as time moves forward, children of each generation is moving more into intelctual levels, means they do not want blind faith.

I think so, but Harsharan veer will have to confirm.

I interpreted the above as, not trying to force religion on to them but letting them understand steadily and giving them room to digest.

Kids don't want blind faith and rituals just for display, that's why you have to approach with calmness, steadiness to let them understand in time, if you go too fast, too soon, then you are likely to scare them away.

For eg..... a kid will question why are we bowing to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and how is that different to bowing to some other scripture ?

You could answer the taliban way and say something like '' just do it and don't ask questions! "

OR you could slowly begin to explain what guru manyo granth is,..........bowing in reverence.........how Guru Arjan dev ji slept on the floor whilst the pothis and bani he was compiling were on the bed.........all these take time and understanding to digest, and parents have to be patient, calm and friendly in their approach.

I think so, but Harsharan veer will have to confirm.

I interpreted the above as, not trying to force religion on to them but letting them understand steadily and giving them room to digest.

Kids don't want blind faith and rituals just for display, that's why you have to approach with calmness, steadiness to let them understand in time, if you go too fast, too soon, then you are likely to scare them away.

For eg..... a kid will question why are we bowing to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and how is that different to bowing to some other scripture ?

You could answer the taliban way and say something like '' just do it and don't ask questions! "

OR you could slowly begin to explain what guru manyo granth is,..........bowing in reverence.........how Guru Arjan dev ji slept on the floor whilst the pothis and bani he was compiling were on the bed.........all these take time and understanding to digest, and parents have to be patient, calm and friendly in their approach.

Veer,

I agree with your approach and let the kids decide their own path.

I aplogise if I have misunderstood anything.

WOW!!! Sikh Dharam's entrance to the 21st century.

Veer Jee,

you have full rights to disagree with me. I am a human being also, of course I am not perfect and can make mistakes as any other neighbour.

Secondly, we are all here to contribute to clear concepts if any by giving a helpful hand, without any malice, anger or arrogance. If somebody agrees or understands, it is o.k, otherwise we can say may God bless you. Because each one has a different levels of consciuousness, of understanding, but the thing is, to be open minded, sinecre and humble.

Because anger, clouds our understanding and makes us act in a haste, that we may later have to regret.

Going back to my post and your disagreement ; I do not promote blind faith, neither faith based on miracles. When I said younger generations do not want blind faith and seek intelectual satisfaction, means they want logic answers.

Gurmat is the most logic and perfect science(path). It is our misinterpretation, which is the cause of failures and getting disheartned.

So in order to expalin them the Bani, in the correct manner, we have ourselves have to understand the Bani in the right manner and update ourselves, so that if eventually they ask us any question, we may give them satisfactory answers.

Have we ever asked, why are there so many atheists, inspite of them being born in religious minded families? Not only in our community, but as well in the rest of the world? That is because, these people reason and find no logic in what they see and hear.

Not that those who have blind faith in the Bani are doing anything wrong, because as said before, the Bani is a perfect science, there are no failures in the end, but yes, by understanding one can accelearte one´s progress on the path, and at the same time, be an inspiration to the younger generations.

Faith is a blessing from Wahiguru in the end, so if after trying explaining gently Gurmat to anyone, and if one sees that, that person does not get you, one should not get disheartned, because it maybe, that the time for that particular soul has not come to mature yet.

Moreover, it is His creation, He knows best which souls are mature to return back to Him, or which others are yet to continue here.

We can never force anything on anybody, we may look outwardly same, but all of us are on different spiritual levels = spiritual maturity.

That is why, we may agree or disagree on some issues, or it may take us some more time to understand . That is it. It is nobody´s fault.

Having said this, I have never ever taken anybody´s words wrongly, I am a human being as said above, of course I would like that all could understand and accept the truths of the Bani, but again, that is not in our hands.

If people being born in Guru Ghars, could not understand and assimilate the truths, while being in the company of the Gurmukhs, of our Guru Sahibans, of Sant Jan , who were the embodiment of the Highest Truth, Wahiguru Akal Purukh; then who are we simple moorakhs to teach or guide anybody?

That should not be the attitude, but rather we sholud sing His glory and spread far and wide the scent of His infinite inmensity, and in doing so, if it touches some wadbhagee soul, it is His wadeeayee, if not, then too we loose nothing, as it is His Bhaana which prevails.

In any case, He is, and should be the main picture.

Sat Sree Akal

Edited by harsharan000

Pai Shaib,

and this:

So while being in this world, we have to keep a balance, between swarth and parmarth, ?????

means while being in the world to fullfill our duties, we should not forget that we are not of this world, and that our souls are in essence of the nature of Wahiguru, who is our true Father, and in order to return back to Him , we must take the aid of bhakti, of Naam Simran, as per instructions in the Bani.

and explain the truths to the youngsters in a simple and a natural way, without scaring them, or trying to impose on them, because that will make them rebels, and create adverse feelings for the path. So we should talk to them as friends, because that is how they are used to, and then give them space to digest and assimilate the truths of the Bani, slowly but gradually. ?????

So you are trying to explain about a world, which you and I haven’t seen? What truth are we trying to explain to the youngsters and without scaring them at the same time??????

Scaring them means, not to do devotion out of fear, but to bring them that awareness, that, you are the makers of your destiny, if you choose Wahiguru and keep Him as your goal at all times, you will attain the highest Truth and realize it within you, which means : to become free from the mayavee creation and return to our Father´s House, which is full of akhoot bhandaar of everlasting peace, bliss and happiness.

On the other hand, if you do not act responsibly, the cycle of births and deaths is already open there , around the corner.

Is it scaring a child, if a father tells him, if you study hard, you will get a good job and be happy, by earning a honest living, otherwise one may end in the streets, being a beggar, a thief or a thug... and me being your father, I would just love to see you settled and happy at all times, here and hereafter.

The thing is, to bring awareness of the reality in a simple, open and a gentle way.

As simple as that.

Waheguru

Edited by harsharan000

Veer,

I apologise for the misunderstanding here, I 100% agree with your approach with kids. The approach needs patience and love without this we will truly loose the next generation or they will become fundamentalists.

I have seen many kids introduction to the Sikh Dahram and times the focus is on 1984 and the great wars. Never have I seen elders explain about the journey of the spirit.

Why, so much hate and anger being taught? Why at Vaskhi speeches are made for our hatred of Hindus?

I see our Daharm heading in a dark place.

Veer Jee,

I quite agree with you on your vision about how where our dharam is heading or better said being taken.

And believe me, it is a pitiful sight, which many times I have tried to bring out by making denouncement of it, but alas, our brothers and sisters are so much in this circulation force, that if one tries to remind the simple truths of the Bani, one is misinterpreted, and looked as good as a criminal.

The thing is, we have lost out of sight the base of sikhee, which is Wahiguru and His devotion, and many other political, social, and cultural elements have been added and associated with the pure paviter Bani of our Guru Sahibans, thus dissoluting it.

But nevertheless, I do not loose hope, and only pray by doing Ardas to Wahiguru, that may He bless each and everyone by showering His Daya Meher, so that the true understanding of His Bani may be possible, thus we may profit ourselves with the priceless gems contained in it.

Waheguru.

Edited by harsharan000