Can Naam Simran Help In Curing Diseases/problems?

Have also been thinking about this recently and came to the following understanding.

1) Some conditions are caused due to problems in the mind i.e. "Maansic rougue". When one spends a significant time of directing the mind on another task like paath or simran then the mind is not given the opportunity to dwell on issues as much and slowly the underlying problems in the body begin to heal.

2) The mind is a very powerful instrument and we probably don't use it to its full potential. I was reading about developing ones sankalp shakti/will power. When the mind becomes purified and reaches that state near god-hood then this ability begins to develop.

3) Prayers done in the deepest states of meditation can bare fruit. I was once listening to a Yog Nidra CD and when you had reached the end state, one was told that they could cite a prayer at that moment for something they desired.

4) Last but not least is nadar/grace, where if Waheguru wills it then anything is possible.

5) Then one could also say what is written you will get, nothing more nothing less. But in the house of Guru Nanak even those things can be changed. :D

Hello everyone,

I know that the main purpose of Nam simran is merger with God. However, if one does Nam simran to come out of some problem or for some other selfish reason etc, is that appreciated?

Dear Lunalon,

we are already failed, and our condition is hopeless and of pity. So any devotion done, even for any selfish motives, in His court is accepted.

How one calls one´s father, that is not much important. He knows how weak we are. But anyhow He is such a wonderful Father, that He says, though out of pain or despair just remeber me, just call me with a sincere heart, and see I will come running to your aid.

But there is definetely a difference in calling a worldly father and a heavenly Father like Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

While our calling Him, we are elevated, our consciousness soars high in the spiritual realms. And when we thus communicate with Him in this way, we are spiritually washed, our thinking and understanding the laws of Nature undergo a drastic change, in comparison to the earthly point of view.

Now in our present condition, we may question Him about our so called problems of any type, be it may health, mental, economical ... or any other .....

But once we elevate even a little bit our consciousness within, then we shall not even ask Him any such selfish things .....

Otherwise it is more likely we blame Him as usually we do. We may not voice our thoughts, but surely more than once we may have thought, my God, why me?

Why do I not get this or that ? Or be like him /her, or even better.... and an endles such list....

We should keep in mind, He is a Perfect Being.

He can make no mistakes.

And so, if He can not make mistakes, then, what is there for Him to rectify?

It is we, who are short sighted. And we are telling Him to do this or that, like if He was the Aladino´s genie in the lamp.

We do not try to know and understand the Nature, but rather we want the Higher consciousness, to come to our level and get involved in our selfish petty minded game... Is it not moorakhta from our side, to do something which is unlogic? Then too we harshly blame Him, for not fulfilling our expectations, and so shamelessly we say God does not exist ....

Dear Lunalon, I am not disheartening you or anyone...but it is better, if we go through the precious priceless Bani, and dye ourselves with the colors of His Beant wadeeayee . Then there will be no complaints, but only "shukur hae Sachay Patshah" on each step in our lives.

For example,Christ was nailed; Dhan Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj was ill treated badly and tortured physically ...

Just let us think a litle bit, they were the embodiments of that Supreme Power.

What could they not do if they wished to? By freeing themselves and punish their culprits...

But instead, they said: Tera bhaana meetha laage ....

In these 4 words, if paid proper attention there is a lot of wisdom for us humans to learn and apply it in our lives. Then almost all of our problems shall vanish away...

But anyhow, as brother Sat above, has soundly said: "in the house of Guru Nanak even those things can be changed".

Or even as brother Jaikaara has beautifully said: "If we can do Naam Simran abhyas ..we would achieve that level when everyting will be Gurparsaad..."

So in the end we could well say, it is all about, the attitude based on faith and devotion we adopt, to face all situations.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

Very well said Babaji ..

Dear Lunalon,

we are already failed, and our condition is hopeless and of pity. So any devotion done, even for any selfish motives, in His court is accepted.

How one calls one´s father, that is not much important. He knows how weak we are. But anyhow He is such a wonderful Father, that He says, though out of pain or despair just remeber me, just call me with a sincere heart, and see I will come running to your aid.

But there is definetely a difference in calling a worldly father and a heavenly Father like Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

While our calling Him, we are elevated, our consciousness soars high in the spiritual realms. And when we thus communicate with Him in this way, we are spiritually washed, our thinking and understanding the laws of Nature undergo a drastic change, in comparison to the earthly point of view.

Now in our present condition, we may question Him about our so called problems of any type, be it may health, mental, economical ... or any other .....

But once we elevate even a little bit our consciousness within, then we shall not even ask Him any such selfish things .....

Otherwise it is more likely we blame Him as usually we do. We may not voice our thoughts, but surely more than once we may have thought, my God, why me?

Why do I not get this or that ? Or be like him /her, or even better.... and an endles such list....

He can make no mistakes.

It is we, who are short sighted. And we are telling Him to do this or that, like if He was the Aladino´s genie in the lamp.

We do not try to know and understand the Nature, but rather we want the Higher consciousness, to come to our level and get involved in our selfish petty minded game... Is it not moorakhta from our side, to do something which is unlogic? Then too we harshly blame Him, for not fulfilling our expectations, and so shamelessly we say God does not exist ....

Dear Lunalon, I am not disheartening you or anyone...but it is better, if we go through the precious priceless Bani, and dye ourselves with the colors of His Beant wadeeayee . Then there will be no complaints, but only "shukur hae Sachay Patshah" on each step in our lives.

For example,Christ was nailed; Dhan Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj was ill treated badly and tortured physically ...

What could they not do if they wished to? By freeing themselves and punish their culprits...

In these 4 words, if paid proper attention there is a lot of wisdom for us humans to learn and apply it in our lives. Then almost all of our problems shall vanish away...

But anyhow, as brother Sat above, has soundly said: "in the house of Guru Nanak even those things can be changed".

Or even as brother Jaikaara has beautifully said: "If we can do Naam Simran abhyas ..we would achieve that level when everyting will be Gurparsaad..."

So in the end we could well say, it is all about, the attitude based on faith and devotion we adopt, to face all situations.

Sat Sree Akal.

Hello everyone,

I know that the main purpose of Nam simran is merger with God. However, if one does Nam simran to come out of some problem or for some other selfish reason etc, is that appreciated?

Dear Lunalon,

This is my very brief opinion, answering from a different angle.

The answer is WITHIN your self. What problems do I face? What goals do I desire? Your Self is your consciousness [ it is at your command] If you feel that what you desire is selfish [ it is for your own purpose [and does not come within the Wand ke shaakana] your ardas or faith is definitely not 100% as you may have doubt of the achieving the goal, resulting the "prayers" not being " appreciated".

So if one has problems or desire[ TASK] for something, then have an absolute faith ( do not let a drop of doubts or indecisive) that the task has been or being completed by your Creator/Lord Master. Show your gratitude to Waheguru for placing you in the said circumstances that allow you to perform the task ( doing it frequently) . Once you done it believe that it will be done and move on and act as it is.

Now in the beginning you will feel that people will think you are selfish. Remember ,this is your feeling and your conscious [ from past memory recording is playing to you]. Ignore this.

What you are doing is creating a new self image, self respect and self esteem for your self . As you keep thanking Waheguru for His grace and resolving your problems simultaneously you increase your Faith in Lord. As Harsharan said you may stop calling it selfish as you are moving toward One ( this is Japji Sahib's 5 Khand come into play) . Your own result will show you whether your "prayers" is being appreciated. "seek Within and not without".

Combine your task/problems or desire with your Simraan during," amritvela sach naa-o vadi-aa-ee veechaar" . The veechaar here means to me as praising Him for gratitude for He has been giving and giving. It will sound flimsy in the beginning or guilty or selfish but soon later you will realized that this is a visualization with His grace. The word selfish will just whittle away.

Have also been thinking about this recently and came to the following understanding.

1) Some conditions are caused due to problems in the mind i.e. "Maansic rougue". When one spends a significant time of directing the mind on another task like paath or simran then the mind is not given the opportunity to dwell on issues as much and slowly the underlying problems in the body begin to heal.

2) The mind is a very powerful instrument and we probably don't use it to its full potential. I was reading about developing ones sankalp shakti/will power. When the mind becomes purified and reaches that state near god-hood then this ability begins to develop.

3) Prayers done in the deepest states of meditation can bare fruit. I was once listening to a Yog Nidra CD and when you had reached the end state, one was told that they could cite a prayer at that moment for something they desired.

4) Last but not least is nadar/grace, where if Waheguru wills it then anything is possible.

5) Then one could also say what is written you will get, nothing more nothing less. But in the house of Guru Nanak even those things can be changed. :D

Surely true. Guru ji can definitely change destinies.. ;-).

Very well said Babaji ..

Dear Lunalon,

He can make no mistakes.

Sat Sree Akal.

Hmm... well explained. But I have some doubts.

"Tera bhana meetha laage" is definitely correct. But is not this also true that His "bhana" cannot be to trouble his children?

Now again,Panchmesh Pita Jee says,

"Karan Kaaran Prabh(u) ek hai, doosar naahi koe"

So He is the doer of everything, be it good or bad. But He is loving, He does not cause bad to His children.

The bad that occurs to us is because of our purab karam (past deeds) ie., the paaps of our past karams.

But isn't He that loving and great that he can erase your paaps? isn't His baani that great?

Indeed Guru Jee has given us this very gift of Baani that can erase our paaps and carry us across.

Guru Maharaj says,

"Gur poore ditta banna, dukh rog ka dera bhanna"

Accepting His Will is a different thing and not calling to Him for help, when you are in great pain is different.

Are we that great that we can do bhagti and progress in our spiritual path whilst being in great pain and apathy?? I dont think so.

And of course, you sought His help in pain so that you can contemplate on Him freely.

Such a beautiful line comes in our Aarti Sahib,

"Bhookhe bhagat na deeje le malaa apnee leeje"

Bhagat Jee says that he cannot do bhagti when his stomach is empty, and it is the Lord who should provide him nourishment so that he may contemplate upon Him.

You say that you should have devotion and face all situations.It is true, but what is the use of the devotion when you cannot even call upon Him for help, to pull you out of a situation, which you can no longer face , which is interfering even with your bhagti process.

Actually when in pain, you call out to Him with a true heart, he not only gets you out of it, but makes you His own.

Panchmesh Pita Jee says, " Baah pakad prabh(u) kaadheya, keena apaneya" (The Lord has pulled me out holding me by the arm and has made me His own)

Of course, some situations you can handle, you can be patient, but when something becomes intolerable, pathetic and kills you now and then, then you should cry to Him for help, because no one else can help.

Edited by Lunalon

Dear Lunalon,

The answer is WITHIN your self. What problems do I face? What goals do I desire? Your Self is your consciousness [ it is at your command] If you feel that what you desire is selfish [ it is for your own purpose [and does not come within the Wand ke shaakana] your ardas or faith is definitely not 100% as you may have doubt of the achieving the goal, resulting the "prayers" not being " appreciated".

So if one has problems or desire[ TASK] for something, then have an absolute faith ( do not let a drop of doubts or indecisive) that the task has been or being completed by your Creator/Lord Master. Show your gratitude to Waheguru for placing you in the said circumstances that allow you to perform the task ( doing it frequently) . Once you done it believe that it will be done and move on and act as it is.

Now in the beginning you will feel that people will think you are selfish. Remember ,this is your feeling and your conscious [ from past memory recording is playing to you]. Ignore this.

What you are doing is creating a new self image, self respect and self esteem for your self . As you keep thanking Waheguru for His grace and resolving your problems simultaneously you increase your Faith in Lord. As Harsharan said you may stop calling it selfish as you are moving toward One ( this is Japji Sahib's 5 Khand come into play) . Your own result will show you whether your "prayers" is being appreciated. "seek Within and not without".

Combine your task/problems or desire with your Simraan during," amritvela sach naa-o vadi-aa-ee veechaar" . The veechaar here means to me as praising Him for gratitude for He has been giving and giving. It will sound flimsy in the beginning or guilty or selfish but soon later you will realized that this is a visualization with His grace. The word selfish will just whittle away.

Dear Lunalon,

Hmm..true you said :-)

Sat Sree Akal Lunalon,

Hmm... well explained. But I have some doubts.

"Tera bhana meetha laage" is definitely correct. But is not this also true that His "bhana" cannot be to trouble his children?

Who says His bhana is a trouble created by Him?

For example, the driving circulation code, is made for us so that there is security and the traffic doesn´t gets jammed.

Now if the signal is red, and someone does not respect it, and just goes on with full speed, what will happen?

Of course there will be an accident, and either one bumps with something or with an other´s car. And then when one gets injured severely, then one says: Wahiguru if you are there, come help me!

What nonsense is that?

It is we, who transgress the laws, create a scene, and now we say, please forgive me.

Who says we learn from our mistakes?

We are dumb and numb like zombies. Otherwise we would have not been here today. Then too, we blame Him?

If we do not learn the lessons with pain, how will we ever learn from our own mistakes?

Who says He has not forgiven?

He may have forgiven us surely once or twice or several times, but if we continue commiting mistakes, then we are shameless..... His laws(call it nature or bhana) are there in the creation, making it run precisely....

He does not ever punish us .... He can never punish anyone ..... He is Dayal Purukh ...... There is no such thing as justice in His Court, and administrating justice is not His job either ..... If ever He showers anything, that is bakshish, that is Daya Meher...that is Amrit, that´s it.

Just as in a kingdom you have a King, a judge, lawyers, police, doctors, etc ...... Everything goes per laws of the king in the kingdom, but if you commit any nonsense, the king is not going to come and catch you, or judge you or sentence you . No, that is not His job, for that purpose, there are other authorized civil servants which carry the laws and watch that there is nothing wrong as per the laws or rules of that kingdom.

Another example, the movie or television serial which one watches in the Tv set, is because those scenes have already been recorded, and though one may not like some scenes while watching it on the screen, there is nothing one can do, but yes, if one sees remaining the story in the subsequent parts or episodes, and one wants to make some changes in it, then one is free to do the changes ....( These changes are the ones, which we can make in the store house of our countless karmas, by Naam Simran, thus we burn those our future karmas and so as there are no karmas left there , the there is no coming back into creation, so these are the karmas which all of us can erase. You see, if He starts changing the nature, the laws which govern the creation to just benefit us, then He is a cheater also like the politicinas over here....but that is not the case.

When we suffer or go through some pain, even there is His Grace in it, our mind in the future births will retain the sanskaras, and will try to avoid doing anything wrong. We have been give a golden opportunity of this human birth, to make the most(devotion) of it, and merge in Him. For example, the Bani says: awar kaaj tere kitte na kaam, mil sadh sangat, bajh, kewal Naam. The Bani clearly says says, nothing else apart from Naam is of your avail in spirituality, so just do Naam Simran....But we think we are wise, and instead of doing this commandment with love and faith, we do many other things....

It is we who go against the Bani, and behave like manmukhs, so naturally we are astrayed.

We all have read this like parrots more than hundred times maybe, but tell me, how many of us do follow this simple principle....maybe only 0.000000001 % of us.

Then too we say we are sikhs, or hindus or this and that ... are we not moorakhs?

So you see, even while having brains and knowing and having the Bani in front of us, we do what we like, otherwise the Bani is not difficult at all, it is a perfect spiritual science.

We have created four walls around the Bani and limiting it, polluting it with politics, rituals, moortee pujas,

etc ...like the rest of the world ....what a pity.

We have the best teachings: Gurmat, the best school: sikhee, the best teachers: Guru Sahibans, Gurmukhs, Bhagats, SGGS...and yet we hardly make any progress spiritually....

Once a mahapurukh was asked about why all these higher spiritual beings who came to our level, had got to suffer so much torture and pain?

And the answer given was: it is just for us humans, so that we may not say so easily: God is up there , He does not know in how much pain we are here down...

So you see, He comes to teach us, how to do the real bhakti, how to love Him, what to ask Him, and what not to ask Him, how to live in this creation and free ourselves ...

So you see, these Sant janas, Gurmukhs or Guru Sahibans, left there abode of bliss and lived among us.

One may ask why?

Who will prefer to come in the mud and dirt?

Naturally nobody.

But it is out of His infinite love and mercy for us, that He comes to just shower us with His Daya Meher, and be a guide for us, to take us out back from this mayavee creation.

That is when you stated: " Baah pakad prabh(u) kaadheya, keena apaneya. This means the Shabad Guru gets hold of the dhun chela or soul, when this soul holds tightly to the jugtee of the rope of Naam Simran, the Shabad Guru just pulls us out.

But of course, let us not take it so lightly or literally and give it a wrong meaning. The Bani is clear, it is only when we surrender our minds and come to take refuge at His holy Feet, with His Simran, that He pulls us out.

This is the simplicity and the beauty of the Bani.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

Sat Sree Akal Lunalon,

Hmm.. Thankyou for what you said. Actually I dont know anything. Iam going through a terrible time. Sometimes my faith in Guru and Gurbani strengthens and sometimes I even feel that Guru Jee does not do kripa equally; some people are so happy and some don't even know hat happiness is :-( (Sorry to say so, I dont mean it though)

Still I dont have any other support :-(

Dear brother Lunalon,

do not feel sorry at all. There is not much to be known neither. Sometimes, the more one knows, the more one gets confused.

The only thing which one has to know, undestand and keep in mind, is that : Ik Onkar, Satgur Parsad. This is all one should know, the rest matters not much.

The wavering faith, of which you talk about, is almost with all of us.

See, the Sun is always up there. Sometimes some huge dark clouds come in between, then, that area gets darkened. But that does not mean, the Sun has disappeared .

In a similar way, our karmas come out and bolck our vision of the Sun...nevertheless we should not feel disheartened and loose faith.

The clouds can not be eternal, they have to give way to sunshine one day.

Then one more thing, do not ever compare yourself to others, just keep and eye on yourself and see, if you are engaged in His devotion or not.

Your present karmas , you are not able to change them, but certainly you can start planting the seed of Naam within you, and water it as much as possible, with the water of regular abhyaas of Simran, so that in the future you can certainly drink the Amrit of Naam and merge yourself in Him, by His grace also.

Once agian, do not loose faith and hope in Him ever.

May God bless you.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

Following is the video related to the topic of this thread, but at the same time, it is valid for anyone who looks for everlasting happiness, which emerges from the unending fountain of bliss, namely Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

The shabd by itself as always is beautiful and peaceful, the voice of the hukam pathi is sweet and melodious, the katha kartar is clear and direct in the depth of the Bani, and so it strengthens our wavering faith in Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Enjoy it,

Sat Sree Akal.

Following is the video related to the topic of this thread, but at the same time, it is valid for anyone who looks for everlasting happiness, which emerges from the unending fountain of bliss, namely Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

The shabd by itself as always is beautiful and peaceful, the voice of the hukam pathi is sweet and melodious, the katha kartar is clear and direct in the depth of the Bani, and so it strengthens our wavering faith in Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Enjoy it,

Sat Sree Akal.

Thankyou. Really liked the video :-)

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest KSINGH

If saying "Waheguru" can save you from the beatings of Jamdoots. Then saying "Waheguru" can surely save you from disease. There is nothing wrong in calling for God to help. Every devotee is in his own personal situation. It is not good to judge others and everyone under the same umbrella. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, Guest KSINGH said:

If saying "Waheguru" can save you from the beatings of Jamdoots. Then saying "Waheguru" can surely save you from disease. There is nothing wrong in calling for God to help. Every devotee is in his own personal situation. It is not good to judge others and everyone under the same umbrella. 

True, repeating/meditating Waheguru can save you from the jamdoots, but not disease, because one has to collect the harvest of the planted seeds by us. That is nature, that is the hukum which nobody can alterate or modify, like if you plant chillies, you will get chillies, not mangoes. 

For that, one should have planted mangoes, so nature teaches us, makes us learn by hard or easy ways, that is all depending on us, on our attitude, on us wanting to escalate the ladder of consciousness upwards, or go downwards as fools or loosers... 

It is also true as you say, nobody should judge anyone, for everyone at the end of the day is responsible for his/her own acts, it would be an ignorant behaviour.

3 hours ago, SunnySingh said:

True, repeating/meditating Waheguru can save you from the jamdoots, but not disease, because one has to collect the harvest of the planted seeds by us. That is nature, that is the hukum which nobody can alterate or modify, like if you plant chillies, you will get chillies, not mangoes. 

For that, one should have planted mangoes, so nature teaches us, makes us learn by hard or easy ways, that is all depending on us, on our attitude, on us wanting to escalate the ladder of consciousness upwards, or go downwards as fools or loosers... 

It is also true as you say, nobody should judge anyone, for everyone at the end of the day is responsible for his/her own acts, it would be an ignorant behaviour.

I agree with certain illness occurrences, but I think the vast majority of health related issues can absolutely be cleared or prevented by Simran. Often times before standing. 

3 hours ago, SunnySingh said:

Here's a perspective incorporating both approaches. 

If you have seeds planted, and they grow into Rog, and each Jaap destroys 1200 instances of Paap, then there's a chance, especially with a lot of Jaap, you're going to destroy the seed that took root. 

23 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I agree with certain illness occurrences, but I think the vast majority of health related issues can absolutely be cleared or prevented by Simran. Often times before standing. 

Hi Bro,

Health or any other issues, all are due to karmas, so if health issues can be modified, surely all other can be also.  For example one is poor, then one can also become wealthy; or if one wants to live a longer span of time, then one can also achieve it by extending the expiry date, for example if those were the cases....

And I would loved it to be so, if it was that much easy.

But the fact is, each time we are born, we come with a certain amount of our total sum up of our huge, countless karmas.  So the karmas we come in that particular life, have to be cleared/paid off, yes or yes, no other way.

For we are not alone, we have karmic debts to clear with others, such as doctors, nurses, chemists, family members, infractors, in some cases police, judges etc..... so you see, modifying some particular karmas of a particular person would not be possible for a long chain of others karmas would had to be modified also. 

Nature is not that flexible or bribable as we think with partialty.

Nature is perfectly  executed to the smallest and invisble each detail in the mayavee creation.

On the other hand, Gurbani says;  Aapay beejeh aapay khaae.

Which means, you yourself have sown it, now you have to eat it (whether you like it or not, whether you accept it or not). 

Other thing is, if anyone says, that simran of Nam alone, as per Bani can burn those seeds stored in our subtle warehouse of  total karmas, I will surely agree, for that is true.

Or if anyone says that, by medatitating upon Him, and by His kirpa, we can reach to such a higher level of consciousness, where we are above the effects of the karmas, that too I would accept it, for it is true and in it the law of karmas is not altered by any human bribery or  ill influences..... rather the law of karmas flow, and so the does the jeeva along with it, with the only difference that,  by His kirpa, the jeev atma has elevated his/her soul consciousness throug severe  bhakti to such a level that, which is above where the karmas are felt.

But that too, is not in the reach of any ordinary lazy and ignorant human beings, but, only to thse wadbhagee jeevas who strictly and faithfull follow the hukum as per Bani, not at the interpretations of any individual or majorities beilefs.

Only Guru Jee is fit and perfect, to be followed and loved, for only by following Guru Jee, one can reach our true Home.

22 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Here's a perspective incorporating both approaches. 

If you have seeds planted, and they grow into Rog, and each Jaap destroys 1200 instances of Paap, then there's a chance, especially with a lot of Jaap, you're going to destroy the seed that took root. 

Bro, 

to an extent I have answered above, plus this much can be added to complete this your second post above.

What are 1200 instances of paaps in comparison to the total summary of our countless karmas in countless lifetimes?

All these interpretations, are like a few drops in comaprison to a sea. 

So you see, if we think, with our trials we can clear our karmas, then we are mistaken, for how many glasses of water are needed to be taken out in order to vaccate the sea?

Rather,  would it not be adivisable, wiser and practical, to trust Waheguru, and do the jaap of His sacred Nam alone, and He as omnipotent He alone is, by attaching our surtee to His Nam, will surely pull us out in an instant.

So brother let us not count our egoistic petty efforts, but rather trust His mighty arm in pulling us out from all our bonds of all types.