My Story in Print in The Sikh Review Sept 2015 Issue

CdnSikhGirl

We are proud of you Satkirin\Harkiran\Wanda....and as i said before you belong here as much as we do ..we can agree to disagree for certain issues and share happiness too..lets not have 2 horns on Satkirin's head to make her perfectly fit for halloween :)

Wanda is my birth name... Harkiran once I took a Sikh name and H came up as the letter... the significance of Harkiran was my Dad just before he died in 2001, he said something about 'remembering the light' so I wanted light in the meaning. 

I was using Satkirin because I didn't want to use my real name in forums... but I don't care anymore. 

Wanda is my birth name... Harkiran once I took a Sikh name and H came up as the letter... the significance of Harkiran was my Dad just before he died in 2001, he said something about 'remembering the light' so I wanted light in the meaning. 

I was using Satkirin because I didn't want to use my real name in forums... but I don't care anymore. 

The baseline is we are happy for you ..by whatever name you go ..you make us proud...so tomorrow if someone here shows me this article and tells me look at this 'gori' she became sikh...i would feel so proud to tell her ..main jaahnda enhu..(i know her )...  :)

All this fawning over this Guru-nindak is making me feel like vomiting.

The baseline is we are happy for you ..by whatever name you go ..you make us proud...

speak for yourself friend. No-one should be proud of any Guru-nindak spreading their lies.

Personally, I think she has made a mistake in taking amrit, as she has not even passed the first stage of Sikhi.

Won't hurt my feelings... I kept it as my middle name on all my legal ID. (I actually processed a legal name change so I am, legally, Harkiran.  But I kept Wanda as middle name for my family.

Nobody said anything about hurting feelings. Sheesh calm down Wanda lol.

Edited by Singh123456777

speak for yourself friend. No-one should be proud of any Guru-nindak spreading their lies.

Personally, I think she has made a mistake in taking amrit, as she has not even passed the first stage of Sikhi.

I dont look at it like that , i dont think she has done any mistake . I did tell her something similar to think over her decision but let me tell you in the market of religions, there are other religions which would be less challenging to follow . The Buddhist and Bahai are very popular with lesser issues . If she would have wanted to be at ease she could have chosen them . She has faced challenges and has been with Sikhi inspite of the fact that the indic values are clashing with her mindset.

We of indic origin are lost in addressing 'sahib' and 'ji' and doing some simran and sewa , we start seeing a halo around ourselves . Let us learn to accept the odds, the Gurus did this too.

Bhai Mardana ji  even though being a Muslim was a follower of Guru Nanak, following him playing the rabab. What do we know of his diet and habits ?

If you have ever visited Sachkhand Sri Hazoor Sahib especially during Dussehra and Holi look around what you get to see Sikligars, Lambada tribals Vanjharas , all of these have followed Guru Gobindsingh ji and most of them are not keshdhari , do not speak Punjabi ,which means they do not totally blend with the roop of Sikhi but still are with the Panth. Thanks to the Hazoori singhs who have accepted them as they are. The Punjabis couldnt even tolerate the Majhbis and Ravidassis who are more blended with the Punjabi culture.

I do not want to judge her faith and love for Sikhi , up above there is the Guru and Akaal Purakh to judge . I know for sure myself that i couldnt even do this , i havent taken amrit nor have kes, i am not even fit to be a dog of the Guru ghar.

Hum naahi channgge na bura koi ..

SATKIRIN KAUR I AM PROUD OF YOU, if not everybody.

What brought me to Sikhi:

- Concept of  Nirgun / Sargun
- Concept that ALL is ONE and that ONE IS ALL = Creator IS the Creation and the Creation is within the Creator
- Proof in SGGSJ that matter and consciousness and intrinsically connected (Ang 21 - everywhere I look I see the Lord pervading in the union of Shiva and Shakti, of consciousness and matter) So for me concept of feminine and masculine are just "principles" 
- Concept that all of this is illusion = science agrees as matter is not really the solid 'stuff' we think it is... electrons randomly pop into and out of existence seemingly randomly - but not really... double slit experiment showed us consciousness creates matter.  
- Concept that we are not just drops FROM an ocean, but we are actually IN that ocean and have just forgotten we are here = meaning we ARE the ocean and we only need to reconnect to the source)
- The barrier keeping us from realizing we are still in the same ocean, is Ego.  The sense of individual separate identity.  The 'Harkiran' in my case is false. The consciousness which is EXPERIENCING and DOING through the character called Harkiran is actually Creator, and this is the same for every single person, animal, plant, even mineral. 
- Concept that ALL is equal.  Any sense of hierarchies or statuses are Ego created.  Hence, there is no low caste, or high caste.  It's in our silly human perceptions of separateness.  This includes gender.  The gender is temporary.  The Divine Light is within ALL hearts.  

Understanding this, I know culture can not be avoided as Sikhi is a very ethnic religion. However I can also see how the religion is completely separate from the culture.  So while I acknowledge Indic customs exist, I also acknowledge that they are not part of the religion itself. Meaning, while most Sikhs were born into the culture and practice those cultural norms, I was not, and since religion is separate from the culture, I do not have to follow the culture itself - or at least entirely.  I don't think this means I have to give up Sikhi as Chatanga1 would have me do.  While I understand in Punjabi culture many women are subordinate to their husbands, it doesn't mean that to be a Sikh women, you MUST be subordinate to men.  It's not the fact that some women are subordinate to their husbands etc. that is the issue... the issue is in trying to force ALL women into this lesser role.  If it's done by choice that's fine... but since it's not actually commanded in Sikhi.   I even proved Paapiman is in contradiction to even himself, as he says women are to see husband as God, but then he says the Gurbani instruction to see God in ALL, is only for Brahamgyanis, qualifying his statement by saying "I am incapable of seeing God in All, so what do you want me to do?" meaning, he is trying to support that the Gurus told women to do something that only a Brahamgyani is capable of?  That means if she DOES see God in her husband, then she is actually much higher spiritually than her husband, unless he too sees God in his wife (and they both see God in everyone not just each other).  So that tuk he quoted can not be taken in that context or it causes a contradiction.  

I don't see anywhere in Gurbani that commands women to 'obey' and that men just get to enjoy being treated like Gods simply for being male.  I understand some people follow that culturally.  But the philosophy of Sikhi itself does not contain the culture.  So I don't see how I need to obey anyone simply because they are in male form and I am in female form. In fact I dont spend much time thinking of the physical at all, because I am always thinking on the spiritual level, and the metaphors, rather than these false statuses etc.  While some are so caught up in the physical 'rules' etc they seem to have forgotten the spirituality in the process.  Chatanga1 and Paapiman both concentrate so much on trying to make women obey them, they have completely forgotten to see all equally and see the ocean for what it is...  

Anyway the only thing I disagree with are those who seek to subordinate women by force or coercion as a requisite of Sikhi when it's not  
And I advocate the FULL --- yes FULL participation of women in their own religion.  And that includes Panj Pyara seva... because I see the ocean when I look around and not the separate drops.  If that makes me wrong, I still don't see anything in Gurbani itself which contradicts it, so I don't think I am doing anything wrong.  And I am following Sikh Rehet Maryada.  I have not broken any part of it.  

And I recognize that both Paapiman and Chatanga1 embody God as well...  though maybe they are put here as challenges on the path.  I am not sure... but they have not brought me out of chardikala as of yet despite their trying.

Paaji, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. In my humble opinion, please do pass your knowledge to people, like me.  If this lady is annoying you, just block her. Daas has already blocked her. 

Daas is pretty sure that n30 paaji & co., will not allow her (or anyone else) to insult Gurbani, beyond a certain limit.

Take it easy tiger.

Bhul chuk maaf

Paaji, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. In my humble opinion, please do pass your knowledge to people, like me.  If this lady is annoying you, just block her. Daas has already blocked her. 

Daas is pretty sure that n30 paaji & co., will not allow her (or anyone else) to insult Gurbani, beyond a certain limit.

Take it easy tiger.

Bhul chuk maaf

I am sure they won't allow you to either there Ppaoman even though u can't see this lol. I had you blocked too btw but I wanted to Make sure you weren't insulting me. And you insult Gurbani more than anyone so.... Teapot calling kettle black there.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur