what is meant by Hukm in SGGS?

Guest guest

Hi

I have heard two explanations of Hukam:

1. It means God's will, like saying everything happens by God's will, there is no free will anywhere

2. It means God's orders, i.e. we have free will and can decide whether to follow the orders or not.  usually this implies religious rules to be followed.

Maybe people have heard other explanations.  Can anyone explain?

Hakum (God's/Divine will) is very deep theme in Gurbani. In some places, in gurbani hakum is defined such as - Eko Naam hakum (chant on naam - shabad dhun/remember shabad gyan- simran or be that naam - pure consciousness aware itself) hai but some places hakum its not defined and left it as - Hakum rajaie chalna. Hakum cannot be fully understood conceptually but only in deep contemplation and or meditation. 

In absolute sense/reality, everything is  hakum, everything which is happening/happened or will happen is also hakum (God/Divine will). However in relative sense/reality, Hakum is further fragmented to cater or help transcendent this jiv(being)- separated by ego by its own ego personal will which clouds its perception of hakum- Gods will.

One of the ways to directly experience/percept God's will is out of our conditioned egoic mind box by creating bridge between mind and being consciousness. By being -connecting to our real self consciousness (Real us JOT saroop). Once we BE THAT, not conceptually but actually BE Consciousness (Gur-Chaitan saroop) only, hakum will spontaneously effortlessly appear in our meditative empty mind (pure consciousness) via direct pure perception (gyan parchand) insight and will be guiding force intuitively at each moment and step of that way- all the great attributes, spontaneous action , great speech, humility, direct action, pure action, righteous action, defensive reaction, great intelligence come directly from Hakum-Gods will/pure consciousness- Jot saroop and beautiful thing about it is knowingness intuitively and its originally unmodified/uncontaminated by personal will when personal will-ego is gone to sleep (thoughts/mind/sense perceptions) in meditation

For me personally, hukam means the universal laws..hukam rajai chalna ..

karam..is  apeh beej apeh kayo.... so basically you have free will, do conduct your act but your act comes with a consequence...that you cannot evade..hukam. (4 different types of karams)....

just my 2 pennies.... 

11 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

Stated another way, Hukam is the present moment.

In simple words, Hukam is the here and now.

From Jap ji Sahib -

"How can one realize the truth that all is impermanent?
By staying with the current of the eternal present moment one can recognize things for what they truly are.

What is the eternal present moment?
The eternal present moment cannot be stated, you can only be with it. But know that it is in the present moment in which things take form, in which living beings come to life, in which greatness is obtained, in which one becomes high or low, in which pleasure and pain is received. Everything is happening inside this eternal moment, there is nothing outside of it."

http://www.sikhiart.com/guru-nanak-dev-ji-flow-with-the-hukam/

Awesome simply awesome, you put it quite eloquently. 

23 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

Stated another way, Hukam is the present moment.

In simple words, Hukam is the here and now.

From Jap ji Sahib -

"How can one realize the truth that all is impermanent?
By staying with the current of the eternal present moment one can recognize things for what they truly are.

What is the eternal present moment?
The eternal present moment cannot be stated, you can only be with it. But know that it is in the present moment in which things take form, in which living beings come to life, in which greatness is obtained, in which one becomes high or low, in which pleasure and pain is received. Everything is happening inside this eternal moment, there is nothing outside of it."

http://www.sikhiart.com/guru-nanak-dev-ji-flow-with-the-hukam/

very well put veereh...  hukam is 'happening'  now...

19 hours ago, Guest said:

The definition of the original Arabic word 'hukam', is 'a decision made by an authority'.   Is this correct? Can anyone give more information on the word definiton?

Guest jee - Hukam is a Arabic word. It means judgement or order.

http://www.khojgurbani.com/worddetail/gurmukhi/%E0%A8%B9%E0%A9%81%E0%A8%95%E0%A8%AE

Bhul chuk maaf

On 2016-01-20 at 7:08 PM, Guest Guest said:

Hi Paapiman

nice link thanks.

but in English, words like 'order' and 'judgement' have multiple meanings.

It's where the meanings converge. It is a decision/judgement, it is also an order/command, and it is also the consequence of that. The Punjabi equivalent word that is used is ਭਾਣਾ that is intention. God's intention is his command.

Remember, here we are talking about consciousness that does not have a human body. And this consciousness is spread throughout the cosmos. When this consciousness gives an order, what happens? How does it work? How often does it give an order?

Any intellectual answer you get is going to appear quite weak if the underlying concept isn't apparent to you. The idea is to experience this for yourself and to recognize God's intention in moment-to-moment experience.

So an exercise you could try is, anytime there is a mind-body event, is to recognize that event as God's intention. This is going to make the definitions relevant to you.

You had a thought - label it God's intention for you to have that thought

You had a feeling - recognize that is arising from his command

You are feeling an itch - label that as this is his doing

Moment to moment you start to recognize what God is doing. When you continue to do this, and you will notice a shift in perspective. And there will definitely be a shift, a subtle change in your perception.

Moment to moment you start to recognize what God is doing. 

^^

Long time ago, was telling a friend that there is god within her/ everybody and she replied," then why the hell you don't worship me ". lol 

Labeling god for good stuff is easy but when it comes to things we think we messed up then it's hard. For instance, If I make someone happy, then I can go vaheguroo it's your Kirpa. But when I hurt someone , saying tuhi tuhi is like putting blame on vaheguroo . It's like not taking responsibilities for our action and saying vaheguroo you did that. Sure, vaheguroo is within everybody and hukam is going on but this "I" is something which never let most of us see or feel. It makes us separate. Then there is a " vaheguroo" Vs "I" play. No matter, how many books or katha I read/ hear, unless I or other person experience it, will always be a mystery and confusion lol

A person who can accept everything with a thought of Tera kiya mitha lagey is a real winner here. I am losing it really bad lol 

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, amardeep said:

Hukam is used in the Quran, in plural Ahkaam. In the Quran it Refers to the will of God, the judgements of God, the Laws of God etc.  The Sufis have been interpreting it in other ways over the centuries in terms of determanism etc.

Are you sure?  I browsed muslims sites for this and could only find it used by their legal scholars (who define rules and regulations, like the Akal Takth do for some sikhs).  I did not find it used much In Quran.

I browed a book about Sufi's too.  Although I found words like Qadar, I did not find them using Hukam in this way (even by browsing the index).

so how do we differentiate this use of Hukam and Qadar in the Quran?

From this site (https://islamqa.info/en/34732), about Qadar:

1 – The belief that Allaah knows all things, in general and in detail, from eternity to eternity, whether that has to do with His actions or the actions of His slaves.

2 – The belief that Allaah has written that in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz (the Book of Decrees). 

The above is interesting because it may give information about what is meant by phrases like 'likhiaa naali' 'kagaaz kalam na likhanhaar' in Japji

of course important not to jump to conclusions

• 1 year later...

The word Hukum,  has a different perception from our human level, to the one that of Akal Purukh.

At our level it generally means orders, but from His level, it would be more like, His wish, His Mauj.

For like just an emperor, has no need to order, He just wishes, and everybody, everything is ready to fulfill that his wish, so what to say about Sachay Patshah, Wahiguru Akal Purukh´s "Hukum".

He is the only existing Reality and Truth, so as if one is alone, and gets an idea to do something, there is nobody,no one to oppose that idea, thus no need to order anything to anybody, He wished, and so it happened.

In an other context, it also means Laws of Nature, but again, those very Laws of Nature, also act upon His will, His Mauj or say it His Hukum, Ultimately there is no difference, we can also say He Himself, is the embodiment of His Hukum.

Sat Sree Akal.