Why do people cut their Hair??

Hi im new to this forum (*cough* Liar, 350+posts *cough*) and was just wondering and wanted an insight on why people cut their hair.??

i cant seem to understand the reason behind it.

is it to fit in with society?

or do you find it a hassle to have long hair??

Or if you male, do you want to look like a women??

Of if you female, are you afarid to look like a man?? (Joke. Harsh! I know)

Please help me understand this...

Thank you.

hello i am a newbie to the forum also :D

having asked people or guessing what ppl think (most people wont actually say why or give a BS excuse) it is (in order of importance)

1. being frightened to appear different/less fashionable in society

2. being frightened that you might not find a boyfriend/girlfriend so easily

3. there is a reputation of being backward/too "traditional" associated with turbans

4. not seeing a need to keep hair today (ie not know enough about sikhi and its past)

5. havent been introduced to the spiritual side of sikhi so see it as a ritual/see all religion as a ritual and would rather get drunk, pass out and wake up in a pile of their own vomit the next day

i dont think its the hassle of keeping a phug/long hair. its a lot harder to continually get haircuts, shave and wax (it seems boys and girls do all three now) then it is to tie a phug (i can do mine in under 4/5 mins now) in the morning....i think the main reason is society......if all monneh lived in a pind where everyone else was kesadhari they wouldnt be the slightly bit inclined to removing their hair

with the women looking like men thingy, i actually disagree, in kapur singhs book he says men have tried to look like women (no facial hair) and women have tried to look like men (cut their hair short) which is kinda true. no one seems content with how god created us :cry:

WJKKWJKF

hey there, i cut my hair, and i can tell you why.

I have recently starting getting into sikhi. About a year ago i was under the impression that the turban was a culteral thing and thought it didnt really effect your spirituality.

Additionally, nobody in my family kept their hair, therefore as a kid i when i was growing up i saw neither my dad or my baba wearing turbans and consequently i didnt really consider them to be important.

Furthermore, the gorae at school used to call my Singh mates with patkae on "buns heads" and to be honest i didnt want to get the piss taken out of me.

Oh, how could i forget i was convinced boys with turbans had problems pullin.

Thats why i cut my hair.

I have now come to realise the fact that the above arguements for cutting are indeed fundementally flawed, they are based on vanity, fear from social isolation and reflect ignorant aswell as a weak attitude.

The last time i cut my hair i nearly cried, i was sitting there on the hair dressers chair i shut my eyes. When i opened them there were tears in my eyes, i saw Bhai Taru's painting in my head and asked myself what the hell am i doing?

By cutting our hair what are we doing? --- from what i experienced that day i will summerise -- we are turning our back on our Gurus. We are turning our backs on the beautiful sikhs who gave thier lives rather than cut their hair!

NOW WE ARE GOING TO MUSLIM HAIR DRESSERS AND PAYING THEM TO CUT OUR HAIR!

so to the pahjis who ask why we cut our hair?

Cos we are cowards, ignorant and weak.

Lets grow back our hair and become Singhs! Brave, Intellects with big strong hearts!

Waheguru ji ka khasla Waheguru ji ki fateh !

Simply, the reason why I cut my hair was because I believe Sikhi should be in one's heart and that is what matters ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hehehheeh! Jokes -

Personally I think (and I do :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ) people cut their hair for the following reasons

1) First and foremost to fit in with the rest of the crowd, can't risk standing out. Being in with latest fashion trend, and etc.

2) Peer pressure- Having mates cut their hair means you have to too- Can't bare hearing names- " Osama Bin Laden" . Like Harpreet said it " cowards, ignorant and weak"

3) In some cases, just to simply get a job- As most of our older generation doesn't have the qualifications needed to obtain a proffesional job-Like all they are qualified is to be managers at McD's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, ( I think you get my point) ..So, some job places require clean shaven, and etc for safety/health reasons.

4) Or some people get so brain washed by coming to Amerika/Caneda/UK/Etc. and just wanna be gorras- The saddest part is the parents encourage them!

5)Rarely is it the fact that you can't take care of the hair - and that being the reason of why you cut it.

6) Last but not least, Sikhi should be in one's heart and thats what matters the most :LOL::LOL::LOL:

7) And oh yeah! Some people like my self don't know why we trim but we do - More categorized under the category with fitting in with the crowd.

These are all the reasons I can think of at the moment, If I come up with any others - will be sure to add on them to my list.

maybe cus they dont know any better...

Media mashing things up in pplz head.... shud b this way... and that way....

Parent also dont know any better to teach the kids... and learn themselvrs

Get caught up in societys right and wrong.... u can be easily influenced by da environent

The just dont realise their legacy... i rekon evry1 needs a bit of a push to realise wot theyve got rite at their hands... they just dnt realise it!

so far, i got the idea, that people cut their hair because they want to fit in. They believe sikhi is in their hearts etc....

For those people that cut their hair... How do you feel when people come to you and ask you why you have cut?? are you hurt?? Do you feel bad or ashamed to come the gurdwara?? Do you tend to stay away from people with turbans or religious people?? Do you feel that people Judge you??

give me an insight on how you feel

what about girlz that keep long hair and shave their legs, etc. and/or tweeze their eyebrows?

I know some ppl think its unsightly for women to keep long hair, but its WHO YOU ARE!

i mean i know that for kidz that don't live in toronto/vancouver/other major sikh centers in the western world that they wanna fit in cuz i mean theyre usually WAYY different from their friends at school and stuff, and we've kinda been "brainwashed" into thinking that its disgusting if you have hairy legs (for women), but still...anyway thats just my two cents and feel free to comment! :)

Chardi Kala!

Hi im new to this forum (*cough* Liar, 350+posts *cough*) and was just wondering and wanted an insight on why people cut their hair.??

i cant seem to understand the reason behind it.

is it to fit in with society?

or do you find it a hassle to have long hair??

Or if you male, do you want to look like a women??

Of if you female, are you afarid to look like a man?? (Joke. Harsh! I know)

Please help me understand this...

Thank you.

Nice topic!!! I appriciate. Since you are now looking for the answer of another question, which is not for me, i will keep my mouth shut!

well i think keeping ones hair is important, but if you keep your hair that doesn't make you all of a sudden religious, i know people who keep their hair and still drink like there is no tommorow, do drugs, do "bad" things. And i have seen people more religious then some people with hair. I personally kept my hair and i never cut it! I think i wud cry if i did anything to it, i had it forever!!!!! BUt i think the point that someone posted before was right, girls always do "waxing" and stuff like that, i guess its peer pressure and media! REcently some people i met through punjabi school told me that they CUT their hair, i was shocked and kinda mad at them. They said they "couldn't handle it" and that "they look better like this" I haven't seen them yet, i don't really want to!! But i was shocked. BUt again cutting ones hair is up to the individual, and im no preacher, and i know people who cut their hair who know a lot more sikhi than i do, but sometimes i wonder if they are so into it, why not KEEP THE HAIR!?? and about the point about the jobs thing, thats ILLEGAL if someone doesn't hire you due to your appearance, i say SUE THEM!! one love!

Guest Javanmard

The hair issue is one of the reasons why the orthodox church separated from the catholic church. The orthodox monks and priests keep their hair long and have beards . They accused the Catholics of "trying to look like women". Orthodox Jews have similar debates