Farmer's Agitation in India

I am not surprised. It has always been them against us only the narrative used changes. They are committing atrocities against their own citizens yet at the same time accusing others of being terrorists. What other evidence is needed that they don't view us, our faith and our rights equal to theirs. For them Sikhs are only good to die at the border, if they demand rights however miniscule, they become terrorists and traitors.

They can’t get away by calling these farmers as gaddars like others (muslims, leftists) because it is these three or four communities ( Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh) that make up the bulk of the modern indian army even in the past have given huge amounts of sacrifice. Jatts, jaats, rajputs etc..Haryana contributes 11 percent punjab about 7 percent Rajasthan probably similar and same with UP.

the farmer unions have skillfully turned the tables on the bjp and deprived them of their greatest weapon. 

on the 26th I thought it was over because of the events done by some stupid people just for Facebook likes. 

The  farmer leaders are no angels either. Tikait is worth about 80 crore. And the prime accused in the muzzafarnagar riots that killed 160 Muslims a few years back. 

most of these union leaders are commies( the most vile philosophy ever) that killed 100 million last century( mao, stalin, pol pot, Lenin, Kim Jung, China) their only loyalty is to the philosophy not to any religion. They may wear pags, turbans etc but the ultimate loyalty is to communism.  

I had a chance to interact with haryaanvi jaats about 10 years back when I went to India. They have a disdain and inborn natural distrust of all governments even their own. Their likes, dislikes, lifestyle, is an exact copy of the Sikh jatts. Extremely patriotic, tight knit but with a short fuse. They will not support any khalistani movement in the larger movement.

the strategy is simple from the government side is to frame this is a simple khalistani movement, national security issue in hopes of breaking up the Sikhs from the jaats, rajputs, Uttar Pradesh wala 

as for the laws I’m getting different reports from different people. Some say the farming industry in Punjab is really gown  down and some type of change is needed otherwise with a reduced water table, cancer trains and environmental damage Punjab is gone. It will be barren in a generation. 

whether you like the laws or not some change is required. The actual problem is probably the use of the PAN number in the law in farming transactions. It allows the government for the first time to track sales, corruption or leakage. 

7 hours ago, Veer said:

as for the laws I’m getting different reports from different people. Some say the farming industry in Punjab is really gown  down and some type of change is needed otherwise with a reduced water table, cancer trains and environmental damage Punjab is gone. It will be barren in a generation. 

whether you like the laws or not some change is required. The actual problem is probably the use of the PAN number in the law in farming transactions. It allows the government for the first time to track sales, corruption or leakage. 

It's a broken system by the looks of it. 

All the young people I've met from this background in India who've reached the UK generally complain about the current set up in Panjab being impossible. The corruption they describe is jaw dropping. Coming to the UK to become a builder (whilst on a student permit) seems like their only strategy to avoid it, and that is an already heavily saturated market. 

These problems have been long coming. Started with water diversion in the 80s. The failed 'green revolution' which was basically seems like an experiment with genetically modified seeds, and the heavy use of pesticide and fertilizer. Throw in climate change too. 

The simple truth for Panjab is that a heavily agricultural based economy at this time is like putting all your eggs into one basket, when all evidence seems to point at serious earthquakes taking place in future.   If economical diversification doesn't take place and speedily too - how are things not going to get even worse?

Yeah, it’s a catch 22. The use of the PAN number system in the actual law gives the state and centre government the raw data it needs to make improvements but the farmers want the entire law scrapped. With it goes the data. 

It’s a messy situation - the farmers are mostly Sikh( from Punjab at least) but the arahtiyas are mostly Hindu Banias used to giving out loans at huge interest rates keeping the average farmer perpetually poor but providing great help in navigating the system. 

add to that previous  good decisions made by the centre government but implemented horribly. It gives the farmers some anxiety. 

no side in this protest are angels. Stored wheat in Punjab is watered down, claimed as waste then sold to liquor mafias. So there is a criminal angle keeping Punjabi youths on alcohol and drugs. 

The events of the 1980s have seriously caused mental distress amongst the punjabis especially Sikhs. Probably undiagnosed post traumatic stress disorder  that would explain the drugs and alcohol. It’s never been studied or treated. 

13 hours ago, Veer said:

Yeah, it’s a catch 22. The use of the PAN number system in the actual law gives the state and centre government the raw data it needs to make improvements but the farmers want the entire law scrapped. With it goes the data. 

It’s a messy situation - the farmers are mostly Sikh( from Punjab at least) but the arahtiyas are mostly Hindu Banias used to giving out loans at huge interest rates keeping the average farmer perpetually poor but providing great help in navigating the system. 

add to that previous  good decisions made by the centre government but implemented horribly. It gives the farmers some anxiety. 

no side in this protest are angels. Stored wheat in Punjab is watered down, claimed as waste then sold to liquor mafias. So there is a criminal angle keeping Punjabi youths on alcohol and drugs. 

The events of the 1980s have seriously caused mental distress amongst the punjabis especially Sikhs. Probably undiagnosed post traumatic stress disorder  that would explain the drugs and alcohol. It’s never been studied or treated. 

It's confusing: conversations I've had in previous years with people from farming backgrounds led me to think that the fixed prices that are paid to them through the government, were the problem because they weren't able to sell at higher prices elsewhere. Fast forward to now, and these laws that seem to be designed to overcome that are the ones being contested??

I understand that given the 80s onwards, Panjabi farmers (and frankly Sikhs in general) are seriously distrustful of the government (and not without good reason). 

I think we've had too much of a culture of promoting alcohol amongst Panjabis for a long while now, and heavy drinking is something I think predates all of the recent issues and is more of a cultural thing. I mean look at all the pro-drinking songs that come from Panjabi culture.  I think the drugs is a different matter though (especially heroin), that seems to be the consequence of an increased production in the region from Afghanistan, subsequent to the American invasion in the region post 9/11. It's too easy to throw packets over the border and the simple availability of strong drugs (by their very nature) spread addiction wherever they go, plus there are always people ready to exploit this for their own personal profit. 

The events of the 1980s and the mass killings have a created not only distrust but a sense of hyper masculinity that manifests itself in the movies and music.

i see parallels between black rap music and some Punjabi music. The heavy emphasis on guns, cars, women and money. It could be that our newer generation in the west is influenced by rap a lot more than we think and it’s being put back into Punjabi music. 

distrust is not just a Sikh thing neighboring Haryana and it’s jaats hate government or interference in their matters. And they hate the bjp always have.

manohar lal khattar lost the election by himself but tied up with bjp afterwards to retain his seat. This wrankles the jaats and he has lost respect in the state. The interviews that I have seen with jaats wanted him to sit in opposition like a man instead of tying up with the party they hate 

badal and family are the same way in Punjab. You lose but still win. It doesn’t force you get to get bigger and better. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...