101 Dicusssions on " b-40 Janamsakhi"!!

VahiguroojikakhalsaVahiguroojikifateh

I m starting this topic to learn more about this puranic text.

:!: What is B-40 Janamsakhi? :!:

:!: Who wrote it? :!:

:!: When was it published? :!:

:!: How authentic is this peace of writing? :!:

:!: Is it widely accepted on a panthik level? :!:

:!: What are its contents? :!:

Please answer these questions anyone!!!

Thanks in advance! :D :D

Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Here is a painting from the B-40 Janamsakhi..it's plate #31

The link from allaboutsikhs.com gives some interesting comments on this painting..'The Meeting with Bhagat Kabir'

--Same colour of 'topis', lalleshvari veerji pointed out that colours of dress have significance..The article says the same colour shows spiritual affinity posited by Sikh theology.

--Bhai Mardana jee's gaze (in almost every painting) runs horizontal to illustrate his devotion.

--The colour red, I believe it is a symbol of submission?

--On top of the painting (above the title) the peacock is jumping from a tree over Guroo Jee's head to the one over Bhagat Kabir jee's.

31 is described as the the hallmark of the theological painting..

dhan_guroo_nanak.jpg

Guest Maha_Pavitar

I was doing some research and found this so far..

The Puratan Janam-sakhis.

The term Puratan janam-sakhis means ancient janam-sakhis and is generally used with reference to the composite work which was compiled by Bhai Vir Singh and first published in 1926. Of the still existing copies of the Puratan Janam-sakhis the two most important were the Colebrooke and Hafizabad versions. The first of these was discovered in 1872, the manuscript had been donated to the library of the east India company by H.T. Colebrooke and is accordingly known as the Colebrooke or Vailaitwali Janamsakhi. Although there is no date on it the manuscript points to around 1635.

The four janam–sakhis we have are the Puratan, Miharban, Bhai Bala and Bhai Mani Singhs Janam-sakhi.

That should keep you going for about 3 months! The last two texts are compiled with a couple more into the cumbersome 'Sikhs and Sikhism'.

For those of you interested in the actual paintings, get hold of the 'B-40 janamsakhi paintings' I think by S.S. Hans(?) which I think has all of the beautiful paintings from the B-40 janamsakhi. You could also contact UKPHA who promised everyone a CD-R of the heritage talks transcribed with images...for Jeevan Singh Deol's brilliant talk on the janamsakhi paintings.

I think CSJS (as always) have various editions of the janamsakhis available in gurmukhi script.

hope that helps.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

N30 Veerji..you understand that these are a collection of 57 paintings..it is a pictorial Janamsakhi..

The link to allaboutsikhs is a good introduction, looks like I should get started on the recommended books :LOL:

Have a look at Painting 18 http://allaboutsikhs.com/jsakhis/018.html

It's so interesting to see how the painting is set up..the way Guroo Jee is standing between those two 'planes'.

Perhaps we should discuss each painting with aid of this introductory article, what do you think pyareo??

I've got W.H.McLeod's "The B40 Janam-Sakhi".It's an interesting read.But beware; McLeod is a known biased Christian misssionary.It has some black-white pictures in it.One of them shows Satguru Nanak and Bhai Mardana in "the Land of the Pathans".Curiously, it depicts Satguru as a child-like figure, with a seli topi and locks of hair streaming from his temples.

But that was the dress of those times the Turban came about with Guru Hargobind Sahib.

Alot of the pictures we see today are by Sobha Singh, http://www.sikh-heritage.co.uk/arts/SobhaS.../sobhasingh.htm do not forget artists have their own impressions of what they see in their minds, please see if you can the see the simlarities in his depictions of Guru Nanak dev ji and his own face.

If you look into bani you will see the real picture of Guru Nanak Dev ji

Guest Javanmard

b-40 Janamsakhi is NOT a puranic text at all as it is not part of any of the classical "Hindu" texts at all. It is a hagiographical text about the life of Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj!

Hari wrote:

But beware; McLeod is a known biased Christian misssionary.

Well I know the man personally and I know about his life. I even went to the school in Batala where he used to teach. The guy is an agnostic on the verge of atheism and he never was a Christian missionary. I personally think the guy has some paranoic issues and find some of his research problematic because of his historicist approach. But please get your facts right. His translation of the b-40 Janamsakhi is excellent and was highly praised by Panjabi and Sikh scholars.

First of all, thanks everyone who took their time respond to this thread.

I want people who have b40 janamsakhis handy to let us know more about this mentioned in b40 janamsakhi's

According to Janam Sakhi Lord Satguru Nanak Dev Ji will come in 10 pargat rup(10 gurus), eleventh form as Shabad and 72 times as nit avtaar or in the form of saints.

If any one can please type the whole sakhi(either punjabi or english) where this was mentioned... That be really really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i really find this thing about 72 nit avatars hard to beleive. I do want to make it clear here that i do belive that there were and are true sants in this world, that deserve full respect and all that. However to say that these sants were incarnations of Guroo Nanak Dev Ji Mahraj is very rong, and i think any sants would be upset at being labled as such.

Guroo Nanak Dev Ji's jot only moved on once the jot had left the current body. The last place the jot went was Guroo Granth Sahib Ji Mahraj, Guroo Granth Sahib Ji Mahraj, is unique in the way that he will be here forever in body form aswell, because theyre form does not work the same way as human body whcih earlier Guroo Sahibs had. Taking this into account, how can these 72 sants contain Guroo Nanak Dev Ji's jot inside when it is in Guroo Granth Sahib Ji?

• 7 years later...

i really find this thing about 72 nit avatars hard to beleive. I do want to make it clear here that i do belive that there were and are true sants in this world, that deserve full respect and all that. However to say that these sants were incarnations of Guroo Nanak Dev Ji Mahraj is very rong, and i think any sants would be upset at being labled as such.

Guroo Nanak Dev Ji's jot only moved on once the jot had left the current body. The last place the jot went was Guroo Granth Sahib Ji Mahraj, Guroo Granth Sahib Ji Mahraj, is unique in the way that he will be here forever in body form aswell, because theyre form does not work the same way as human body whcih earlier Guroo Sahibs had. Taking this into account, how can these 72 sants contain Guroo Nanak Dev Ji's jot inside when it is in Guroo Granth Sahib Ji?

This