What is the difference between a Sant and a Sikh ?

Three types of Sikhs according to state of mind are follows...sant is just not mere label but it's a state of mind.

1. Murid/Sikh/Sikh- First are those who have taken Guru di Sikh ie-Amrit and have faith in Guru. Sometimes do seva of Gurughar and sometimes backs off.

2. Murid Eh Sadik/Sidki Sikh/Sanmukh Sikh: Second are those who have gained full sidak and their mind never wanders around in vishaie/vikara/vices and have full faith and devotion.

3. Murid Eh Fidaie/Marjeva Sikh/Gurmukh Sikh: Third are those who have given tan(body), man(mind), dhan for seva and giving head to the Guru its normal thing.

Kabir Kaosuti Ram Ki Jhota Teka Nai Jai ||

next line goes something else..if i m wrong..i m so soorry to guru ji..if someone can verify it.that be great.

Ram Kaousti jo Karie Jo MarJiva Hoi ||

sikh - a person who is still studying

sant- a person whooo has finished his study , passed his examination and is now one with god.

Guru Ji always called a Sikh a Sikh because a Sikh is always learning. Saying that you've learned everything and cant be told be taught anymore or have no need to learn anymore you have become a Munmukh, and you forgot your Guru. Sants never forget the Guru.

Guest SAdmin

According to Mahan Kosh (P. 243) the term 'Sant' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Saant' or 'Shaant', meaning spiritually poised i.e. keeping mental as well as physical feelings under control.

Thank you all your time and input very enlightening

The post be SAdmin , a breif attempt of translating the punjabi text is that

a sant is the highest of the high, god is always near a sant and is always in anand. What ever god does a sant takes it ver sweetly , a sants ego is so low that a sant believes they are dust under everyones feet

A sant keeps 'paap' far away as possible , doing seva of a sant will give you 'phull'

( i may have interpreted it incorrectly ( kemam dha jachak heh) but there is one line kIqy bcnW dI pwlxw krdy hn which i undersdtand as that a sant does bachan

Does a sant also do bachan of the Guru Granth sahib

Guest SAdmin

DSM,

Here is English translation.

(Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa, MD)

Asaa Mehl Fifth

Twenty-four hours a day, he knows the Lord to be near at hand;

he surrenders to the Sweet Will of God.

The One Name is the Support of the Saints;

they remain the dust of the feet of all. ||1||

Listen, to the way of life of the Saints, O my Siblings of Destiny;

their praises cannot be described. ||1||Pause||

Their occupation is the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

The Kirtan, the Praise of the Lord, the embodiment of bliss, is their rest.

Friends and enemies are one and the same to them.

They know of no other than God. ||2||

They erase millions upon millions of sins.

They dispel suffering; they are givers of the life of the soul.

They are so brave; they are men of their word.

The Saints have enticed Maya herself. ||3||

Their company is cherished even by the gods and the angels.

Blessed is their Darshan, and fruitful is their service.

With his palms pressed together, Nanak offers his prayer:

O Lord, Treasure of Excellence, please bless me with the service of the Saints. ||4||37||88||

the question I have is, does a person become a Sant by his actions, or can a person become a Sant simply because they have title attached to there name?

By actions and state of mind (avastha).

Defination of Sant taken from Mahan Kosh by Bhai Sahib Kahn Singh Nabha.

sant%20defination%20from%20mahan%20kosh.JPG

Anyone who has gotten qualities above writen by Bhai Sahib Kahn Singh Nabha is a saint/sant !!!!!!!!!! whether it's- bhai, gursikh, baba, prof, doctor, nurse, ex-prostitute, ex-stripper !!!!!!!!

Sant/bhai/gurmukh/bhramgyani/sadhu/bhai/baba prefix are used interchangably..and has been used both

eternaly and externly in the context when refering to person who get dissolved in Naam.