What is significance of 108 and 40

das

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I would like to learn about the reasons behind 108 and 40. I am not raising the question against the validity of these, I just want to increase my knowledge regarding 108 and 40.

108:

1. Most of the time there are 108 beads in a Mala.

2. We refer to Puran Baramgani with 108.

40:

1. Sometimes Puran Baramganis asks us to do some Gurbani path at some particular time (mostly before sunrise) for 40 days without interuption and that is particularly for a specific reason. (BUT we should NOT do chalisa ourself, I mean without the bachan of Puran Baramgani. I know about "Sankat Mochan - Shabad Sidhi" which we should NOT follow without Puran Baramganis bachan. These are the techiques that can be followed only with the bachans of Puran Baramgani, and Puran Baramgani usually instruct us to do this under limited circumstances. And everone knows that ).

2. Almost every religion consider 40 as auspicious.

Therefore, there is something specific about 108 and 40.

Could anyone shed some light on 108 or 40.

I came across number of things for 108 like: there are 108 energy line connecting chakaras, there are 108 desires, 108 lies, 36*3 (previous, current and future) etc. etc., but then why we attach 108 with puran baramgani.

Any suggestions Neo, Vikaramjet and other senior members!

Das

I am looking for specific details regarding 40 and 108 (preferably from Sant, if someone has head some Bachans of Sant Isher Singh Ji, Baba Attar Singh Ji, Baba Nand Singh Ji, or from other Sikh sakhi), I need something more like: the effect of receiting a particular mala of 108 beads, the reason behind 108........what does 108 have relationship with Puran Baramganis and to the spiritual sphere...........and I could NOT find any topic on 40 days thing.

I was just able to find that: It takes forty days to ingrain any new way of being into our system, and that is what we are aiming to do here: wipe out the old and welcome the new.

The bottom line is I am looking the above information from Sant bachans if anyone have heard one because only Puran Baramgani can shed light on the truth and in detail.

Das

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

do you remember in which diwan you heard that, I have access to almost all diwans if Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji........

any findings about 40 days........traditionally in Sikh families when a child is born, he was taken to Gurdwara Sahib for namkaran on 40th day.......there are number of things which are related to 40 in Sikhism, but what's the reason?

Das

I think difference between paki and kachi mala is something to do with either speed of recitation which helps to go through 4 different types of bani (madma, bakhri, pasanti, para bani).

Sant Maharaj Ji was very strict when it comes to giving amrit to jaiagso, its been know that whoever took amrit from sant maharaj ji were abhyasi singh and singhani and did great abhyaas before they took amrit.

• 9 years later...
On 14/12/2006 at 2:51 AM, N30 S!NGH said:

Sant Isher singh ji himself said , i think one of atamik bachan tapes if someone wishes to take amrit(in form of panj pyares) from him, then that person should do 108 pakki mala/per day for whole one year.

Just to give you idea- 1 pakki mala with 108 beads = 108 kachi mala.

Please, again you are misleading innocent Sikhs.

Counting Beads is Contrary to Gurmat

Counting beads – ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ, chanting with Maalaa (rosary)…

When Kabeer Sahib realized he wasted his life in Kashi (“ਸਗਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਵ ਪੁਰੀ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥”, (sggs 326). ) by following the worthless rituals prescribed by the Brahmin / Pundit (such as counting beads – Maalaa or rosary, and so on), he moved from there. After realizing uselessness of empty rituals such as counting beads, he threw away the rosary and declared:

• ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥: Bhookhe bhagti na keejai. Jah maalaa apanee leejai: Bhagti (devotion…) cannot be performed while hungry (for Maya – Maya’s hunger, love of Maya…). (So) Here is Your Maalaa (rosary), take it back. (sggs 656).

The person who counts beads (ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ) is full of hunger for Maya (ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਭੁੱਖਾ) – totally Mann Mateeaa (ਮਨ ਮਤੀਆ-the Manmukh who lives against the Gurmat or Teaching of the Gurbani). Those who take on Maalaa are called “ਨਿਪੂਤੇ” (worthless son-ਔਂਤਰਾ) in the Gurbani, for in such worthless stubborn minded practice there can be noSukha (ਸੁਖ).

• ਜਬ ਕੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਲਈ ਨਿਪੂਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਭਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Jabb kee maalaa laee nipoote tabb te sukhu n bhaio ||1||Rahaaou||: Ever since this worthless son (i.e., mind, ਔਂਤਰਾ ਮਨ…) has taken the Maalaa (rosary), since than there has been no Sukha (Joy, ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੀ, Gain, etc.)! ||1||Pause|| (sggs 856).

Thus, the Gurbani repudiates (Khandan) Pakhand-Baazee (deception, hypocrisy, humbug, pretense, etc.) such as counting beads (chanting with Maalaa, rosary). Such nonsense was introduced by those who purposely intended to corrupt the Gurmat (Aatam-Giaan, Knowledge, Wisdom, or Teaching of the Gurbani). Instead of correcting this mistake, unfortunately, this falsehood is not only carried on, but further propagated by the Mayadhaaree Pujaaree-Group (Bhais, Granthees, Raagees, Jathedaars, Paathees, and so on). It’s all “Golak Daa Chakkar” (money)! The Gurbani wants us to make meditation (Naam-Simran: Gur-Giaan, Shabad-Vichaar…) the rosary enshrined in the Heart within.

• ਹਰਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਉਰ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਕਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ॥੨॥: Har maalaa our antar dhaarai || Janam maran kaa dookh nivaarai ||2||: (That person who) enshrines the rosary of God’s Name within the heart, is freed of the pains of birth and death cycle ||2|| (sggs 388).

But still, as seen everyday, the emphasis of most of the clergy, clerics, Bhais, Raagees, Kathaakaars, Giaanees, Parchaaraks, Sants, Baabaas, etc., is to promote religious symbols and rituals that are strongly repudiated by the Gurbani. They are totally in contradiction with the Divine Teaching (Aatam-Giaan…) and purpose of the SGGS. Why does Gurbani rejects this nonsense? Because all calculations or all calculated Bhagti is in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider these verses:

• ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
  • ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Ganatai prabhoo na paaeeai doojai bharameetaa: God cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).

This Giaan of the Gurbani is also meant for the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. the Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things. All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya.

There is no counting or calculations for the one who has become the Gurmukh (one who lives the Shabad-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Gurmat…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within.

So the Gurbani urges us to stop counting beads and become the Gurmukhi.

• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukh sagalee ganath mittaavai: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, paapiman said:

Interesting info from one of the courses which I am currently enrolled in.

Experts say that it take 30 days to imprint a new habit on our sub-conscious mind.

Therefore, chaliye (40 day) Jaaps make sense.

Bhul chuk maaf

Thanks veer ji i didn't know this information before.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...