Distorted gender balance in Punjab

Since this topic gets used by Javanmard to insinuate something SPECIFALLY about the punjabi Sikh community, I thought I'd post some recent statistics that were in the media

NOTE - please use a bit of akal when reading this. I am not suggesting this is acceptable or that we should NOT be massively changing people's attitudes towards it. I am questionning the notion that this is a SPECIFICALLY punjabi thing.

Gender Imbalance statistics in birth rates...top offenders in india with distorted gender balances =

1) Punjab

2) Gujrat

3) Gurgaon

well, the commonality between all three is that they are the richest places in India outside of a big metropolises. Both Gujrat and Punjab are the top two richest states. Both have become so through agriculture, which means more less educated are have greater wealth.

I'm not saying that education is necesarily the cure but I reckon its a factor. Anyone who has been in major punjabi cities on and off over the last few years may have noticed a proliferation in private pre-natal scanning clinics (jalandhar's full of them). More money = more pre-natal scanning I reckon. My theory is that this is a prevalent attitude throughout India not just among punjabis (clearly among gujratis also)...and given enough opulence it will be a nationwide thing, particularly at the less educated level of society.

to repeat before any twisting happens..this is not a 'well they're doing it as well' defence of this...its evidence that its a problem inherently pan-Indian rather than specifically Sikh per se.

Guest Javanmard

It's forbidden for us Sikhs to do it under threat of excommunication and yet Panjabi Sikhs are the worst when it comes to that and have the balls to criticise Shi'as. Get real people. Iran isn't Disneyland but 2/3 of students there are women and they are far more educated and cultured than Panjabis. That's my point. Everytime I post something on Islam I get served the same racist stereotypes that never apply to us Shi'a. So as a reply I just like to remind you people of certain realities that are statistically accurate namely: your community is made of daughter killers. Sad but true!

It's forbidden for us Sikhs to do it under threat of excommunication and yet Panjabi Sikhs are the worst when it comes to that and have the balls to criticise Shi'as. Get real people. Iran isn't Disneyland but 2/3 of students there are women and they are far more educated and cultured than Panjabis. That's my point. Everytime I post something on Islam I get served the same racist stereotypes that never apply to us Shi'a. So as a reply I just like to remind you people of certain realities that are statistically accurate namely: your community is made of daughter killers. Sad but true!

How do you suggest we improve the situation?

some people specifically start blaming sikhs for female foeticide without analysing proper facts

http://sikhspectrum.com/112006/doris/ch11.htm

Let us examine this lopsided female to male ratio in Punjab going back to the colonial period. There has always been a lower female to male ratio in Punjab than the national ratio since the colonial government started conducting census in Punjab. For example, though the 1911-2001 Censuses show consistent lower female to male ratio (Table 1) in Punjab than the national ratio, but there has been a consistent improvement in Punjab vis-à-vis the national situation.

Table 1

Sex Ratio: Number of women per 1000 men

Year Punjab India

1911 780 963

At that time punjab was 85% muslim hindu so it clearly means that both hindu's and muslims were actively involved in female foeticide.

now let us examine the present situation

e. In the 2001 census, Sikhs had the highest female to male ratio in Punjab. For 1000 men the numbers of female were Sikhs 897, Hindu 846, Muslims 793 and Christians 893.3

well talking about this subject led me to watch a program on the gender imbalance in China. With families only allowed to have one child, if a girl is born into the family then in alot of cases the child is then put up for adoption or in most cases the child is aborted before birth ususally by illegal means. The children in the orphanages are then adopted by wealthy families abroad. At the moment China along with some of the states in India has a problem with distorted gender balance. i am sure that this problem applies to other countries as well.

This is not a problem of just the Punjabi's but is a worldwide problem with a more patriarchal society in each country with limited opportunities for the female gender

here is the sex ratio of different countries.

http://www.overpopulation.com/faq/sex-ratio/sex-ratio-asia/

Country

Sex Ratio (males per 100 females)

Afghanistan 107

Bangladesh 106

Bhutan 102

Brunei 111

Burma

Cambodia 95

China 106

Hong Kong 104

India 106

Indonesia 101

Iran 105

Japan 96

Laos 100

Macau 96

Malaysia 103

Maldives 105

Mongolia 100

Nepal 105

North Korea 101

Pakistan 106

Philippines 101

Singapore 101

South Korea 101

Sri Lanka 106

Taiwan

Thailand 98

Vietnam 99

In all seriousness, this is a problem. Every culture and society has its sets of flaws. Being in and "Indic" society which wants to maintain certain elements while still being 'modern'...you will be bound to traditions which are either horrendous (in this case, killing females) as 'wealth' is the common currency. A daughter to that society means, heavy dowry, lush weddings etc etc....and that is....if you're daughter is actually accepted by anyone...Sad realities of life. I commend the naamdhari communities and other such communities, like the hardliner taksali and the akj community as well...as I have seen and come to know that their weddings are kept simple and the daughters are generally treated well. The biggest culprits are actually not really religious in any way and just adhere to a costume or a few 'favor asking' prayers and get into that weird 'jaadu-tuna' stuff. (this is why I like Canada...tuna is something you find in a grocery store).

So let us be clear here. Change doesn't happen over night. India, mainly punjab, has probably been one of the most dynamic places in terms of change. 'We' (athough I dont' see myself as being punjabi, and in punjabi I was told I'm a POID and not an NRI...so clearly they don't want me either, I say this because this is how I am seen, by default, on this forum!)

have been actually 'fighting/struggling' to keep whatever culture we can because the land, resources, etc. have been sought out by Non-Indians. Whether they be peoples from Europe or the Middle east. People have actually worked hard and with rigour to maintain or preserve their literary, folk, and cultural traditions. I commend that. Sure there have been problems in the middle east etc for the past 50 years, but before that it was 'relatively' peaceful. My point is...yes, there is a lack of 'sophisticated' culture in punjab right now on the whole...but we've had a bit of a struggle. Whereas those countries that had prolonged periods of peace had the time and resources to build and maintain a culture...Give it time it will all balance out....if it doesn't, all cultures will become americanised...and all this will be graveyard history (btw, I put my bet on this one)