Poets: Shyam, Raam And Kaal

What makes people draw this conclusion?

Why do you think it is Dasmesh Pita?

I haven't heard that Guru Ji called himself by these pen names? What do other people know about this that I don't?

What names did Guru Gobind Singh Ji use when they penned their literature?

I'm not sure. But judging by more accepted compositions i.e. Akal Ustat, Jaap Sahib, maybe they did not use a pen name at all?

PS - Is it even a remote possibility that some of the compositions in Dasam Granth was by some of the court poets in Guru Gobind Singh's darbar?

PS - Is it even a remote possibility that some of the compositions in Dasam Granth was by some of the court poets in Guru Gobind Singh's darbar?

The court poets of Guru Gobind Singh Ji praise Guru Gobind Singh Ji in their writings, for example in their mangalcharan and at the end of the saroop the praise Satguru Gobind Singh Ji - something which is not found in any of the banis of dasam or sarbloh.

I do think Bhai Mani Singh Ji would have been able to decipher and distinguish any differences to seperate the works of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the court poets.

I don't know, a lot of the Dasam Granth seems to be reworkings of pre-existing mythology/folk stories.

For all we know the collection could be literature from the time of Guru Gobind Singh including compositions by him as well as others he commissioned?

For instance the Chandi sections are apparently reworkings of Markandeya purana.

Can anyone also explain why the Chadhi stories are provided in both a Panjabi version as well as Braj ones please? Could this not indicate a desire to make such literature accesible to the masses?

Hikayats

HIKAYAT is the title given to the eleven tales, in Persian verse but in GURMUKHI letters, in the Dasam GRANTH, immediately after the Zafamamah. The title `Hikayat` does not occur in the actual text, but most of the tales have a verse, coming after two or three invocational lines in the beginning, which contains the phrase ` hikdyat shumdem` (we have heard the story of...). Hikdyat, being the plural of Hikdyat (story, tale), is adopted as the title for these tales. Each tale is meant to emphasize a moral lesson. The subject matter of the tales is in keeping with the literary taste and style of medieval India and ranges from the romantic and chivalrous to the fantastic and the macabre. Six of these eleven tales are Hindi tales retold in Persian. Hikayat 4 is Chritra 52 of the Chritropdkhydn, where an intrepid ran? defeats the obdurate Raja Subhat SINGH in battle in order to marry him. Hikayat 5 is the Persian version of Chritra 267. Some other stories from Chritropdkhydn have likewise found their way into these hikdyat. All the verses as well as hikdyatsare numbered, but hikdyat one is not traceable. The first talc which comes after the Zafarndmah is numbered two. Some scholars have suggested that Zafamamah proper should be treated as hikdyat number one while others give number one to the first four verses occurring at the beginning of hikdyat two. These verses arc in praise of God and are mainly in Sanskritised Braj.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Hikayats

I don't know, a lot of the Dasam Granth seems to be reworkings of pre-existing mythology/folk stories.

For all we know the collection could be literature from the time of Guru Gobind Singh including compositions by him as well as others he commissioned?

For instance the Chandi sections are apparently reworkings of Markandeya purana.

Can anyone also explain why the Chadhi stories are provided in both a Panjabi version as well as Braj ones please? Could this not indicate a desire to make such literature accesible to the masses?

Hikayats

HIKAYAT is the title given to the eleven tales, in Persian verse but in GURMUKHI letters, in the Dasam GRANTH, immediately after the Zafamamah. The title `Hikayat` does not occur in the actual text, but most of the tales have a verse, coming after two or three invocational lines in the beginning, which contains the phrase ` hikdyat shumdem` (we have heard the story of...). Hikdyat, being the plural of Hikdyat (story, tale), is adopted as the title for these tales. Each tale is meant to emphasize a moral lesson. The subject matter of the tales is in keeping with the literary taste and style of medieval India and ranges from the romantic and chivalrous to the fantastic and the macabre. Six of these eleven tales are Hindi tales retold in Persian. Hikayat 4 is Chritra 52 of the Chritropdkhydn, where an intrepid ran? defeats the obdurate Raja Subhat SINGH in battle in order to marry him. Hikayat 5 is the Persian version of Chritra 267. Some other stories from Chritropdkhydn have likewise found their way into these hikdyat. All the verses as well as hikdyatsare numbered, but hikdyat one is not traceable. The first talc which comes after the Zafarndmah is numbered two. Some scholars have suggested that Zafamamah proper should be treated as hikdyat number one while others give number one to the first four verses occurring at the beginning of hikdyat two. These verses arc in praise of God and are mainly in Sanskritised Braj.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Hikayats

Stick to the topic of pen names of guru sahib. You can start another thread for other compositions of dasam granth.

Anti dasam granth people need to prove if belief system of poets Ram and shyam was different than sikh thought. If their belief is in line with sikh thought then these are pen names of Guru sahib. If in doubt read invocations where these names come.

Anti dasam granth people need to prove if belief system of poets Ram and shyam was different than sikh thought. If their belief is in line with sikh thought then these are pen names of Guru sahib. If in doubt read invocations where these names come.

I'm not anti, I'm not pro. But your arguments are weak.

People love to second guess our 10th Guru and pretend to play Him. Is it out of sheer ignorance or total arrogance?

Tejwant Singh

Just a note;

Tejwant were you not discussing on SPN that Dasam Granth is not the 10th Guru's Bani with singh2. In which you will be second guessing Guru Sahib and pretending to play him. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-s...sion-redux.html

People love to second guess our 10th Guru and pretend to play Him. Is it out of sheer ignorance or total arrogance?

Tejwant Singh

You know nothing about dasam granth yet you have the heart to give your biased opinion.

Do you know where these names appear? Can you show us where name kaal appear?

Just a note;

Tejwant were you not discussing on SPN that Dasam Granth is not the 10th Guru's Bani with singh2. In which you will be second guessing Guru Sahib and pretending to play him. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-s...sion-redux.html

Only five, what name did Guru Gobind SIngh give you?:-)

Guru Fateh.

As I said before that your English skills are very weak. I said nothing like that. I only questioned it. Nowbe a true Sikh and post the post here.:-)

Tejwant Singh

• 8 years later...

I always assumed that those pen names were used to signify the concept of Yug Avatar. Kaal being one of Vishnu's names,Shyam is the name of Krishna, and Ram obviosly Ram Chandar. Gobind being the avatar for this age as per bhai Gurdass. So it could be a way of poetically signifiying that the author is the yug avatar of this age.

The names Shyam and raam also occour in the Sarbloh Granth.

Edited by amardeep