10Th January - Sikh Programme On Bbc

shaheediyan

Funny how the BBC can never find anyone articulate to present Sikh related programmes... I look forward to disappointment (based on historical goofs from Sonia Deol).

1984 – A Sikh Story

Sunday 10 January

10.55-11.55pm BBC ONE (Schedule addition 5 January)

In 1984 Indira Gandhi sent troops into the holiest and most revered of Sikh shrines, The Golden Temple. The aim was to expel the Sikh militant preacher, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, and his followers. The bloodiest of consequences ensued, ultimately leading to Indira Gandhi's assassination by her own Sikh bodyguards and a backlash against the Sikhs that India had not witnessed since the days of partition.

1984 – A Sikh Story tells the tale of this tumultuous year through the eyes of British-born Sikh, Sonia Deol, who was only 11 when the Indian army stormed The Golden Temple.

Sonia has only begun to understand her faith in recent years – an awakening that began during her own visit to The Golden Temple; and there are many questions she needs answered. How could Indian troops, led by a Sikh, storm such a sacred shrine? How did the cult of Bhindranwale attract so many Sikh followers and why is he still revered by some today?

This one-off documentary takes Sonia on an emotional journey back to India in a bid to discover how such an attack could ever have taken place.

Throughout her journey, Sonia meets and interviews eye-witnesses including Giani Puran Singh, a Golden Temple priest, who dodged bullets from both the Indian army and Bhindranwale's men; as well as General Brar, who was in charge of "Operation Blue Star" and whose army stormed the temple.

Sonia meets those caught up in the aftermath of Mrs Gandhi's assassination and the resulting terrifying riots in Delhi. She also interviews the women who were widowed during the riots and former BBC correspondent Mark Tully, who became known for giving the world an insight into these events as they were happening, on the ground.

Starting in the UK and following Sonia on her journey to India, 1984 – A Sikh Story tells the story of her personal voyage to understand the history of her faith and explore what it means to be Sikh in Britain today.

Executive Producer Tommy Nagra says: "The events of 1984 have become an iconic and integral part of modern Sikh history. This is very much a personal film unravelling a chain of bloody events that India had not witnessed since the days of Partition."

1984 – A Sikh Story is a BBC Vision Production for BBC One.

It is most likely going to be another subtle bash at independent minded Sikhs. Brace yourselves boys! lol

I dont know who Sonia Deol is but im looking forward to seeing it.

If you are intested in good literature regarding 1984 and the khalistani cause i would recommend you to read "Sikh militants - fighting for faith and nation".. An excelend unbiased book written by an american anthropologist who interviewed many of the khalistanis that fled India and ended up in America and Canada.. She presents us their voice, their view of history and the events that lead to 1984.. awesome book!

you can find the first 20 pages of it on books.google.com

Edited by amardeep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

You should be able to catch it on here for a while once it has been aired.

I would add to Amardeeps recommendation and say those who are interested, also read C. K.Mahmoods book 'A Sea of Orange'.

Cynthia has done some outstanding work on this subject, and has even been a physical victim of the same 'evil' mindset those she interviewed have experienced.

Edited by shaheediyan

'Starting in the UK and following Sonia on her journey to India, 1984 – A Sikh Story tells the story of her personal voyage to understand the history of her faith and explore what it means to be Sikh in Britain today.'

Going off what's written above why does it have to centre around her personal voyage? My expectations are low, surprise me BBC.

How did the cult of Bhindranwale attract so many Sikh followers and why is he still revered by some today?

hmmm.....you can already sense it will be an unbiased piece can't you........

Who knows, I may get surprised, I wouldn't put any money on it though.

For those outside the UK, download the programme below.

http://rapidshare.com/files/333481256/1984_-_A_Sikh_Story.mp4.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/333490357/1984_-_A_Sikh_Story.mp4.part2.rar

Download both files.

Use 7zip or WinRar - right click on the first file and extract to..

Use VLC or similar program to play

From Gursikh Singh - Sikh Sangat Forum

Oh and by the way - you will be disappointed.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might of been but it wasn't great either.

One guy who has been getting my nerves for a few decades now is Mark Tully. The guy has always portrayed Bhindranwale as scarey, but if you look at him, he looks like the type that would get scared of his own shadow at night. A typical wasp giddarh tosser who perceives any manliness as a threat.

I see Brar harami still trying to defend his crap after all these years. I see he has made up a lame excuse for attacking on Guru Arjan dev ji's shaheedi gurpurbh. Like they (gorment wallay) never attacked people who tried to get to Harmandir Sahib to defend it anyway.

Nice to see Damdami Taksaal though and it is good that Sonia feels closer to her faith nowerdays instead of being a coconut sell out.

In anycase, Brar and KPS Gill types will forever be remembered as traitorious scum, whilst Bhindranwale will be remembered as a sant-sipahi by the quom.

One guy who has been getting my nerves for a few decades now is Mark Tully. The guy has always portrayed Bhindranwale as scarey,

Why do they need a brave man like Bhindran wala, when they have a pacifist Gandhi and their favourite Jinnah?

Edited by dsd108

I thought it was very good , a starter to make people aware of what happened in 1984 and get more people off there seats to visit Sri Harmandir Sahib and read about the Sikh History , may be more episodes to come which can probably go into a bit more detail , and ask the victims if they think justice has been done , ( if yes, how and if no, how ? )

The only thing that disappointed me was that there was virtually no mention of Congress party hand in the killings in Nov 84. Although the fact that the Police stood by was pointed out but nothing of criminals who led the mobs and provided them with kerosene and tyres as well as using voters lists to identify Sikh homes. If you notice the large painting which the Singhs in Delhi showed Sonia, there is a figure in black shades pointing out the Sikh homes and he seems to look like HKL Bhagat.

All in all it was a good effort and think it was the best we could expect for the 'unbiased BBC'. In the early 90s there was a similar programme off a family of coconut Singhs who was taking his kids to Punjab to reconnect with their heritage. That idiot keep going on about the 'terrorism problem' in Punjab. I just switched off. Apparently there is a discussion regarding the programme at 7pm on Sikhchannel Sky 840. I was pleasantly surprised that Sonia Deol was so affected by what she learnt and I think it was genuine. For a TV programme to do full justice to the Sikh cause then it would have to start from 1947 and the promises that were made by the Congress party but then it would be impossible to include all that within an hour long programme.

The programme won't change many of the entrenched views held by Hindus about Sikhs but it should allow Sikhs born after 1984 to want to learn more about what happened. That can only be a positive thing. If the victims forget the atrocities then it is as if they never happened. That is the challenge before us.

The first step in liquidating a people is to erase its memory: Destroy its books, its culture, its history. Then have somebody write new books, manufacture a new culture, invent a new history. Before long the nation will begin to forget what it is and what it was. The world around it will forget even faster.

Milan Hubl

It was rubbish.

They completely ignored the decades of oppression and unfairness that led up to Operation Blue Star. No mention of 'encounters' or 'disappearances' either.

Worst of all, their portrayal of Sant Ji was totally wrong and one sided.