The Sindh Story

kdsingh80

this is also down to the ravan state, killing any sikh of any ability in the 80s/90s. I've always thought that the govt planned not just to destroy the khalistan movement but to make sure that the sikhs were not able to doing anything similiar for decades to come.

this is also down to the ravan state, killing any sikh of any ability in the 80s/90s. I've always thought that the govt planned not just to destroy the khalistan movement but to make sure that the sikhs were not able to doing anything similiar for decades to come.

I would like to think, despite the serious losses in the period you mentioned, that it would be neigh on impossible to kill off every Sikh of ability. I mean it isn't like it hasn't been tried before by Moghuls and it never crushed Sikhs then.

I think the aim was to only destroy the Sikhs of a sootunter disposition myself. Sure they were heavy handed with this and eventually any old SIkh would do, guilty or not. Later the strategy seems to be to do the old suffocate and absorb into the mainstream lark. Part of this strategy seems to be to 'co-opt' those 'leaders' who will play along with them? It's a strange situation Sikhs find themselves in Panjab politically. To keep in power 'Sikh parties' seem to need to form 'alliances' with other parties, and the Akali Dal (which I believe is largely just an extension of Badal/SGPC these days) seems to prefer BJP.... In a way this is understandable with the history with Congress but it shows you where they are ideologically, in that they form alliances with people who essentially deny Sikhs an independent identity. How are these same people then going to be concerned about spreading Sikhi or converting?

Plus to be real, it isn't like Sikhs don't have representation with the older threads through Daljit Singh Bittu, and Simranjit Mann. Given the meagre support their parties have these days the fact we have to face (because it is staring at us in eye), is that maybe people of the Panjab have rejected the old struggle?

Edited by dalsingh101

Plus to be real, it isn't like Sikhs don't have representation with the older threads through Daljit Singh Bittu, and Simranjit Mann. Given the meagre support their parties have these days the fact we have face (because it is staring at us in eye), is that maybe people of the Panjab have rejected the old struggle?

what has been rejected is the methods that the sikhs chose in 80s although i beleive they were the correct methods at the time. ie the way of the gun, simply becaus eof the way they rebounded on the sikh people. But now i think that the khalistan movement would gain more support if it was allowed to preach it through the ballot box/political stage. This the govt know and they will never allow debate on it.

but from people who i have spoken to, they still harbour sentiments towards the movement.

Plus to be real, it isn't like Sikhs don't have representation with the older threads through Daljit Singh Bittu, and Simranjit Mann. Given the meagre support their parties have these days the fact we have face (because it is staring at us in eye), is that maybe people of the Panjab have rejected the old struggle?

what has been rejected is the methods that the sikhs chose in 80s although i beleive they were the correct methods at the time. ie the way of the gun, simply becaus eof the way they rebounded on the sikh people. But now i think that the khalistan movement would gain more support if it was allowed to preach it through the ballot box/political stage. This the govt know and they will never allow debate on it.

but from people who i have spoken to, they still harbour sentiments towards the movement.

The problem is not the support, it is the fact that the militant struggle was always infiltrated with government agents. The GOI played it's cards well from the start. In 1984 it used traitors like Santa Singh to undermine the struggle and by repairing the Akal Takht remove any physical reminder of the attack. They success of the GOI can even be gauged today by the fact that some kids in the west think Santa Singh was some great mahanpurkh when the facts are the exact opposite. The GOI later used another traitor Tohra to remove the bullet marks from the rest of the complex. Longowal was promoted to firstly act as an opposition to Sant Bhindranwale and after the attack to split the fragile unity that Sikhs had achieved due to the attack. The first mistake made by the movement directly after 1984 was to not put up candidates for the 1985 Punjab elections. By doing so they virtually handed the political arena over to the traitors Barnala, Badal and Tohra. If they had put up candidates they would very likely have won a majority of the seats. In 1989 when the militants won a majority of the Lok Sabha seats in Punjab, the GOI even though it was under the Janata Dal and VP Singh was the Prime Minister, ensured that the state remained under presidents rule even though in the 1989 elections there was virtually no election violence in Punjab. The GOI then used it's traitors in militant organisations such as Sohan Singh to call for a boycott of the 1991 elections and start a killing spree of candidates. The GOI then used the violence as a pretext to postphone the elections solely in Punjab. Sohan Singh again called for a boycott of the 1992 elections and although the boycott was probably one of the most successful in history, it allowed Beant Singh to become Cheif Minister with only 20% of the people having voted. The rest as they say is history. The militants by following the advice of traitors lost the chance to gain an electoral victory.

Baba Thakur Singh ji and BAba MAnochahal pushed hard for sikhs to vote in the elections, but they were blind and refused to listen. then we had one the election of tyrants by a minority of punjab who actually bothered to vote. And then one of history's most brutal genocides of sikhs.

• 12 years later...