How Can We Improve The Quality And Focus Of Our Simran?

Are there any ways to improve our simran focus? Decrease thought interjections, block out outside noises etc.?

Sometimes it's hard to focus in the G'dwara even, when people are milling around or doing stuff like hoovering.

Anti layman tips on breathing techniques also?

Edited by dalsingh101

The foundation stages of simran should be done in isolation. Once focus has been achieved and dhuni is running, one can do simran anywhere.

This is the exact subject Swami Parmanand Ji has been speaking about all week, the fine details, problems, myths and traps that one encounters during bhagti.

I will try and post the recordings of the simran/parvacahan sessions I have attended this week, as well as some translations.

As a quick note, one central concept is 'what we want'. This is a trap i.e. setting standards or an objective. This narrows our focus and causes mass distraction. The first thing to do is 'not want' i.e. peace, comfort, reward (darshan), especially at the outset. First we should just try and accept all that is around us and focus on mantra, ideally we should be using a tried/tested technique, of which there are many - techniques which involve sound, breathing, actions etc.

If you are able to, try and have Swami Jis Darshan around London next week. They will be in the Slough Hindu Temple 5-7th Sep 6-7.15pm and Guru Nanak Gurdwara Hitvhin (Herts) 8/9th Sept 7-8pm.

Edited by shaheediyan

take amrit where naam drir is given, only Guru ji can give naam and instill it inside you and give you the jugti and this is where all problems and questions about simran are automatically removed.

You won't make progress in naam going to mandars, and why would you want to? You have poora satguru ready to give it.

Edited by Silence

Silence, give it a rest. I know 'plenty' off lost/egocentric AKJrs - now this either means your theory has holes or that the Panj Pyare who do this seva are incompetant - either way - it is your conclusive comments which point to either of these options.

There is a lot more to the path of bhagti - and it is not only relevant to Sikhs - which is where Sants like Swami Ji come in.

Sants see past religious bounderies, they are jagat teachers. Sort out your football tribe mentality.

Maybe you should go to the Mandhir where Swami Ji will give bachan, and see for yourself how much they unapologetically say Vaheguru is the most powerful mantar and regularly quote from Gurbani.

Grow up.

Don't worry Silence. I'm not about to convert to Hinduism anytime soon! lol

Saying that, I do have a new found respect for 'Hinduism' as a body of ideas after considering it silly, goofy mythological stories of no value for pretty much all of my life.

I think DG helps put Hinduism (especially avtaars and devtay) in context for Sikhs (amongst other things). So there could never be danger of me putting deities on some similar level to Akaal Onkar.

I don't think it hurts to get some other perspectives on spiritual matters myself, as long as one knows where one's loyalty belongs. I mean I was looking at some videos of Japanese style meditation the other day for tips. This doesn't mean I am being disloyal or about to become one of them.

I'm just beginning to think maybe simran is a very personalised affair that one must explore and master on an individualised basis. What I find frustrating is having the rarer deep, profound experiences and then having more 'mundane' ones (the majority of times). But that was top advice Shaheediyan. Let go and do, and just let it happen with no expectations. There was a part of me that wanted the deeper experience all the time, but 'wanting' is the biggest enemy of progression on this thing.

Edited by dalsingh101

Just some humble suggestions/observations based on experience of self and other more well advanced practioners.

-Great progression happens at the onset, then the progression stagnates due to various inner and outer forces, strongest and sometimes the least recognizable and hardest to get rid of being subtle ego. Then there is greater effort and wisdom required to take the 'next leap'. Sort of Guruji's way of growing our spiritual muscle by adding another 'plate'.

-Being able to find a small group (even 1 or 2) of like minded practitioners and supplementing it with the isolated simran greatly increases the progression.

-Inner filth accumulated from previous births and the current one cause the greatest hindrance to concentration and bliss. Thats why Guruji tells us many times the importance of seva throughout Gurbani. Seva cleans the vessel and makes it worthy of holding the valuable gift of Naam simran. You can experiment and see for yourself. Spend a few hours doing dish-washing on Sunday at the Gurdwara, and follow it up the next morning with Simran. Compare your concentration and bliss to normal days.

- Sometimes you just aren't giving it enough time. To keep progressing you have increase your time and eliminate more and more vices.

Edited by DTF

Japanese style: Worth a watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1IL_DnC98&p=D2B4E0E7A3887CC2&playnext=1&index=44

One thing I like about the Japs is that they really know how to create the right physical environment to facilitate their spiritual practices.

The latter section of part 2 of the above video talks about interruptions to concentration.

Edited by dalsingh101

if you are serious about learning bhagti-vidhi you should look into the progs by Swami Parmanandji. He does have a knack of explaining the most difficult concepts in an easily understandable form.

Silence, take this as an invite to attend one of their sessions. You will learn something valuable. Don't fear if it is in a mandir. Or at least watch thier programs on Sikh Channel. What they explain is a lot more deeper than what the 5 Pyare can ever teach you in a couple of hours of amrit sanchar. 5payre are good for the average lay amritdhari but if you wanna to progress this is the way forward.

Before you attend any program please confirm by phone beforehand, as their timings are likely to change.

Also it will test your understanding of Hindi language as well.

Their morning meditation sessions are almost a one-to-one masterclass in bhagti-jugti. No more than a dozen peoople turn up. Usually chardi-kala, tyar br tyar singhs/singhnia (both hindu and sikh).

Can we get this swami's stuff up then guys? Shaheediyan?

Bhagat I couldn't do what you suggest right now. Too difficult.

I just find it neigh on impossible to focus on say simran, when there is a CD of katha or kirtan playing in the background. I've always been sensitive like this, when I was student I had to wait till the family was asleep at night to study because of being distracted. Sometimes I want to turn it off, but that would be rude to those listening.

I watched that Japanese style meditation video and it talked about pushing interjecting thoughts out of our concentration and this causing tension and internal conflict etc. I realise I do this but I can't see any other choice at the moment. No doubt Waheguru will reveal these mysteries to me in due time if I am graced.

There seems to be a big emotional content of Sikhi style meditation as well (overlapping with bhakti yoga). Gurbani speaks of approaching Waheguru with bhau in your mann and also projecting an emotional state of prem whilst doing these meditation practices. This is wider than single point focus meditation, like on breath or sound. Mastering all these things must take time, hence the phrase naam abiyaas.

I notice singing out kirtan seems to release serotonins/dopamine/endorphins or something? It certainly seems to facilitate some neurotransmitter release? I wonder if it has ever been studied from a neurological perspective?

Edited by dalsingh101

The way I see it kirtan and esp katha require concentration to an external stimulant

Whereas simran and zen (dhyan in panjabi), requires concentration on something within.

For this reason you cant really do the two together. One is always a distraction to the other.

My understanding is Zen requires you to empty your mind of everything, let it be void and then you will start achieveing whereas Bhaghti/Dharamic mehtods require you to fill and occupy your mind with a certain, focused thought/vision/emotion such as prema or a picture of a yantra of that particular mantra or the image of Om mantra or an idol.

Maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

If you do wish to attend the progs call Daljit S Nirmala beforehand to confirm timings. PM me for phone no.

Jattboot, which morning sessions have you been to...? Not the ones this week?

Good points Dal Singh. In Prema Bhakti Marg, we do not seek to push interjecting thoughts out, we simply acknowledge them and let them pass. The key is to not have a reaction to them, positive or negative. We should simply seek to understand that they are part of our sansaari experience - and ultimtely not important.

Bhau certainly needs to be present. This is the role of aids such as kirtan, jap, seva, ithihaas, kathaa, khoj etc. These things are very important and necessary in order to create and maintain love. Simran without love is futile.

If when doing simran, one feels sleepy and is nodding off then shaking themself back awake again, you are better off just stopping and getting a good rest (satisfying your body). The sleep will only disappear with focus and prem.

The breath, the jaap (audible sound), posture, music (kirtan), sargun focus etc etc are all a means to an end, they should not be our central focus - we should ultimately focus on nirankaar - the above helps increase our focus, stop distractions, increase prem etc - but in finality - we will be left without anything except Vaheguru experience.