How Do We Go About Starting Jhatka In The Uk

chatanga1

Let me add this is my view re jatka may be wrong may be right , only wahegur knows ,

Amritdahri Sikh gets up in the morning

has a bath/shower

does nit nem

goes to the gurudawara

does seva

helps the needy, community

learns bani

learns Kirtan

THEN he says oooh i need some meat man , let me get jhatka meat hmmmmmmmmm

It dont make sense at all , I believe doing nit nem , seva etc.. your mind will automatically tell you , i dont need that stuff , will put you off meat eating

We then start comparing ourselves to our Gurus ,( they did that they did this ) which again i think is wrong , we cant even contemplate / compare ourselves to the guru period.

well after doing all those things you've listed without eating, he gonna be hungry bro.

Its funny how the Sikhs up until 1940 or even before, would do all the things you say, inclduing fighting wars, doing parchaar, giving amrit to people and generallly making sure that Sikhi survived truly harsh times, but it didnt put them "automatically" off eating meat.

Whether you accept it or not, eating meat was never an issue in the Panth.

This is from 1940 ish when a serious dispute opened up between Sikhs and Muslims in Panjab over Jhatka and Halal :

Consumption of halal Meat in any form is not allowed in Sikh Religion. The Sikhs had a grievance that jhatka meat was not allowed in any government institution where as there was no restriction on the use of halal meat. This was regarded as an act of discrimination against the Sikhs and they demanded that in all government institutions jhatka and halal should be given equal treatment. In Muslim dominant localities also the Sikhs were not allowed to perform jhatka. There was an increase in skirmishes between the two communities over the question during the Unionist rule. Master Tara Singh accused Sir Sikander that his speeches in the legislature had emboldened the Muslims and they had begun to harass the Sikhs over these issues. On December 1, 1938 Sardar Partap Singh introduced the Jhatka Meat Bill in the Punjab legislature aimed at removing restrictions on the preparation and sale of jhatka meat. Sir Sikander cleverly side tracked the issue and said that since the question involved the allied questions of beef diet also, the bill could not be allowed to be introduced. The ‘Second All India Akali Conference’ held at Rurka Kalan on February 14–15, 1941 condemned the restriction on jhatka. The problem could not be solved, as the Unionist government could not afford to lose the support of the Muslims by any relaxation in favour of the Sikhs.

also search the Historical Jhatka Conference in 1937 on this website, it will tell you that Sikhs who were ready to lay down their lives for their faith had no such belief in brahmanvaad veggetarianism.

Edited by chatanga1

I've been a vegetarian for just over four years, but one thing I find in the panth which people will not maybe even won't stop debating about is meat, people like to pick and chose what they follow, for example, people would follow certain bits from Nihangs, Taksal or any other jatha and make their own sabji?? you can't pick and chose what you like.

Akal Takht has said the final word on maas, so it should be.

This is just my opinion, none should think this is the view of Sikhawareness as I know some people will think that.

Edited by zulu

• 5 years later...

London-based animal cruelty campaigner Jagdeesh Singh said: 'There is no place for animal sacrifice in Sikh society. It is a replication of Hindu animal sacrifice'

Unquote[1]

[1] - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4219650/Children-s-band-decapitate-GOAT-ritual-slaughter.html

This guy Jagdeesh Singh needs to learn more about Sikh history. Jhatka is a Sikh ritual, given to us by our masters. Animal sacrifice has its place in Sikhism. Some people might be abusing this ritual, but that does not mean that it is contrary to Sikh principles.

There is no problem with Sikhs, who was willing to die/fight for the panth, performing Jhatka or going for hunting.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 10/21/2010 at 4:47 PM, amardeep said:

I think people should recite this tuk instead of chandi di vaar when doing jhatka in the west: :o)

ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋਰੀ ਕੀਏ ਜੁਲਮੁ ਹੈ ਕਹਤਾ ਨਾਉ ਹਲਾਲੁ ॥

कबीर जोरी कीए जुलमु है कहता नाउ हलालु ॥

Kabīr jorī kī▫e julam hai kahṯā nā▫o halāl.

Kabeer, to use force is tyranny, even if you call it legal.

ਦਫਤਰਿ ਲੇਖਾ ਮਾਂਗੀਐ ਤਬ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਕਉਨੁ ਹਵਾਲੁ ॥੧੮੭॥

दफतरि लेखा मांगीऐ तब होइगो कउनु हवालु ॥१८७॥

Ḏafṯar lekẖā māʼngī▫ai ṯab ho▫igo ka▫un havāl. ||187||

When your account is called for in the Court of the Lord, what will your condition be then? ||187||

ਕਬੀਰ ਖੂਬੁ ਖਾਨਾ ਖੀਚਰੀ ਜਾ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਲੋਨੁ ॥

कबीर खूबु खाना खीचरी जा महि अम्रितु लोनु ॥

Kabīr kẖūb kẖānā kẖīcẖrī jā mėh amriṯ lon.

Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.

ਹੇਰਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਗਲਾ ਕਟਾਵੈ ਕਉਨੁ ॥੧੮੮॥

हेरा रोटी कारने गला कटावै कउनु ॥१८८॥

Herā rotī kārne galā katāvai ka▫un. ||188||

Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ||188||

Killing of Non-Muslims to Muslims is Halal. Halal isnt just about meat, its about what is lawful in their eyes. Even rape is Halal for them when they capture non-muslim women. They cuss Hindus for drinking cow urine but its halal for them to drink camal urine.