Debating The Dasam Granth By Robin Rineheart

Kaljug

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

This looks like it will be an interesting book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/019975506X/ref=pe_3421_23452111_snp_dp

Not available to buy yet. The product description on Amazon reads:

The Dasam Granth is a 1,428-page anthology of diverse compositions attributed to the tenth Guru of Sikhism, Guru Gobind Singh, and a topic of great controversy among Sikhs. The controversy stems from two major issues: a substantial portion of the Dasam Granth relates tales from Hindu mythology, suggesting a disconnect from normative Sikh theology; and a long composition entitled Charitropakhian tells several hundred rather graphic stories about illicit liaisons between men and women. Sikhs have debated whether the text deserves status as a "scripture" or should be read instead as "literature." Sikh scholars have also long debated whether Guru Gobind Singh in fact authored the entire Dasam Granth. Much of the secondary literature on the Dasam Granth focuses on this authorship issue, and despite an ever-growing body of articles, essays, and books (mainly in Punjabi), the debate has not moved forward. The available manuscript and other historical evidence do not provide conclusive answers regarding authorship. The debate has been so acrimonious at times that in 2000, Sikh leader Joginder Singh Vedanti issued a directive that Sikh scholars not comment on the Dasam Granth publicly at all pending a committee inquiry into the matter. Debating the Dasam Granth is the first English language, book-length critical study of this controversial Sikh text in many years. Based on research on the original text in the Brajbhasha and Punjabi languages, a critical reading of the secondary literature in Punjabi, Hindi, and English, and interviews with scholars and Sikh leaders in India, it offers a thorough introduction to the Dasam Granth, its history, debates about its authenticity, and an in-depth analysis of its most important compositions.

Anyone know the author? I can't find any other publications by the guy.

Regards,

K.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.lafayette.edu/about/news/2010/09/03/robin-rinehart-sikh-text/

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/biography/v023/23.3gold.pdf

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/ComparativeReligion/Eastern/?view=usa&sf=toc&ci=9780199755066

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hMPYnfS_R90C&printsec=frontcover&dq=robin+rinehart&source=bl&ots=bkwYPVOPjX&sig=GLJ6yyl1a6KHNk_k-RwYDXzjmPc&hl=en&ei=mclBTe-YHIPJhAeS6s3sAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

The above links dont give a lot of indication of whats in the new book but some background and previous work of the author.

Its a female. She wrote a chapter in a book by Pahsaura SIngh "Sikhism and history" some 10 years on various strategies on how to interpret the Dasam Granth. She said that it was vital that one does'nt study Dasam Granth without also studying court litterature from the various darbaars in south india and east india at the time, as well as other important aspects which she felt was missing in the current dasam granth books at the time... I think she took it upon herself to interpret the dasam granth in the light of all the recommendations she made back then.

Here is a an article about the book

http://www.lafayette.edu/about/news/2010/09/03/robin-rinehart-sikh-text/

"“Here’s a text people have the same arguments about over and over and over,” explains Rinehart, professor and head of religious studies and chair of Asian studies. “Let’s leave the controversies aside and see how it fits in Indian literature as a whole. It seems to be an example of the kind of text that was produced at the courts of kings, and it has a lot of connections with earlier forms of Sanskrit literature and what’s called Indian ‘story literature.’”"

Edited by amardeep

Her position on the Charitro Pakhyaan is that it fits with other court litterature from various tamil and hindi darbaars which the court poets etc would sit an discuss with their sultan.. Not a bani to be recited, but to be discussed..

I'm surprised no one has beaten you with the blasphemy stick for saying that! I recall reading a Kapur Singh article that was suggesting that much of the contents of DG were not written as bani but as secular literature by Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Her position on the Charitro Pakhyaan is that it fits with other court litterature from various tamil and hindi darbaars which the court poets etc would sit an discuss with their sultan.. Not a bani to be recited, but to be discussed..

that is where a lot of people get confused, cos charitrpakhiyan is written as a discussion between a minister(wise counsel) and the king.

Anyone know the author? I can't find any other publications by the guy.

Its a female.

lol. reminds me of when i was very young, and went to the local library and said to the librarian : "whats the name of the guy who wrote FAMOUS FIVE series? "

I loved the Famous Five. Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Tim.

lol. reminds me of when i was very young, and went to the local library and said to the librarian : "whats the name of the guy who wrote FAMOUS FIVE series? "

I loved the Famous Five. Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Tim.

Famous Five, ( never call her Georgina). Secret Seven.

SImply Brill!

Pack some homemade lemonade for our next adventure.

Actually I take that last post back. In a day and age when people don't bother reading, you should be given a pat on the back - even if it is The Famous Five.

Actually I take that last post back. In a day and age when people don't bother reading, you should be given a pat on the back - even if it is The Famous Five.

Thenk Ju ji.

I was gonna say that for a teacher your first post was rather irresponsible. Almost put me off books for life! :D

Its because of Enid Blighton that now I'm reading fine high brow literature such as Harry Potter series, The Sun newspaper and Jordan's auto-biographies.

Asterix was much better than all the aforementioned crap!

A small group of pendus holding out against a larger group of imperial invaders with a magic elixir that gives them uncommon strength and courage.

Hmmmmm........where have I heard that before....sounds quite familiar?

Asterix was much better than all the aforementioned crap!

A small group of pendus holding out against a larger group of imperial invaders with a magic elixir that gives them uncommon strength and courage.

Hmmmmm........where have I heard that before....sounds quite familiar?

LOL Can I get hold of that book under the Asia History section in my Waterstones?

Need I say more.......

Look, he's getting his toorkah on.

post-3203-129631961639_thumb.png

Edited by dalsingh101

• 5 weeks later...

Have you guys noticed this trend of only putting out books in hardback with hefty prices. Well okay, I'm only talking about Niddar's book prior to this, so it's not exactly a trend but you get where I'm coming from, no?

I'm going to have to try and get the library to buy it. That's a bit steep, in this economic climate too! I mean, are they actively trying to discourage sales? Or is the high price a way to ensuring everyday Joe Singhs don't buy it and keep the debate within limited circles?