Punjabi or Sikh?

Mostly you will notice that in western countries its famous Sikhs calling themselves Punjabis. They think of Punjabi as religion most of the time. If Hindu is proud to be Hindu and Muslims is "proud to be Muslim" and so do others then why SIKHS are more into " proud to be Punjabi"?

As I know Punjabi can be anyone... Hindu can be Punjabi and also Muslims, as Punjabi is culture and it can be adopted by anyone and anyone can be part of it...

So what you guys think? Should it be Proud to be Sikh or Punjabi?

Please discuss...

punjab has a very proud and incredible history........and punjab is the land where our gurus were born and where all our ancestors are from and many great battles been fought on that land and the blood of countless shaheed warriors of all faiths have been spilt on that land and basically in more recent history it has always been the punjabis who have fought invaders attacking from the north through the khyber pass which was the only way into india from that side........the jatta and khashtaris have always been known for their honour and great fighting hearts as jatts were employed by the great imams of the shia muslims to fight along side them against the waharbis........and these are the same ppl who have settled all around the nothern india......pakistan, afganistan, iran, iraq.........all this area was once the land where the shiv ji and other great purshes walked on...........ram ji, krishan ji are of the this region and this where the great jang of mahabharat took place etc ...........so people naturally are proud of the heritage......

maharaaj also talks of these battles and peolpe ........so by knowing ur history of ur forefathers and where u fit in the great scheme of things.......u can learn alot about sikhi its self as u will under stand why maharaaj mentions certain things in bani........u will realise full meaning behind them........maharaaj says that guru granth sahib ji is the nachor of all the vedas and shastaras..........so maharaaj just refers to them in bani but doesnt obviously go into full detail as it is already written down.....so to sometimes under stand fully what maharaaj is saying in bani u need to look back at our past under stand the culture and why ppl did things etc etc ..........

i think the reason why ppl have started calling them selves punjabis rather than sikhs is because they are being told in modern parchaar that u are not a sikh until u are baptised etc etc so these ppl are just being shund away by extreme views and intolerance expressed within the sikh panth in these modern times.....

yaara if we all thought like that we would even wanna be sikhs........look at the dusht who run the panth at this time ppl like badal and tohra and dusht maleash like them if we all looked at them as examples of sikhi........we should then also just forget about sikhi as there are too many bad sikhs?????

there is a balance and truth to every thing!

I would prefer myself to be sikh.. Because when you get baptised you become one ang of khalsa panth.. vaheguroooooooooooooooo... punjabi we speak... but in order to be sikh you dont need punjabi language.. since guru granth sahib ji was written in sanskrit, persian, devangri and after all OUR OFFICAL GURMUKHI SCRIPT... so guru ji made sikh panth universal if any 1 wish to read it they can read it in their languages... now you gotta chardi-kalah western sikh scholars who did this huge seeva translating the granth sahib into english...

there is sikh dharaie in america.. new mexico.. i reckon all these white singhs and singhani read gurbani in english since they are in the beginners to learn gurmukhi script...

but as far i m concern they should learn gurmukhi because some english words are not even created so that they can explain some gurbani meanings.. soo its deeep and poetic... its a challenge itself.. but its anand hi anand... learning it . because its challenging..vaheguroooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

i dont understand why there is a debate on this topic... being sikh & being punjabi are not mutually exclusive. the only difference is that u choose to be a sikh, whereas your heritage & ancestry determines whether u are punjabi.

everyone seems to agree that they are proud to be sikh, but by denying that u are punjabi, u deny your heritage & all that your ancestors have done. if u feel that punjabi culture is being tarnished today by peoples actions then why not promote the history of punjab (your history!) & old punjabi traditions rather than turning your back while it all gets forgotten??

in the same way, people from different backgrounds should be aware of their history & heritage & the sacrifices their ancestors made. from the past is where we can learn from the mistakes of others & draw inspiration... especially when we think that the same blood that ran through those who endured so much hardship & made so many sacrifices runs in our veins too.

• 3 weeks later...

wjkk,wjkf

hmm, a sikh is wat/who i am, and panjabi is about where my family originate from... both go hand in hand...

i agree with u kaur1699,

but in my heart i give more importance to sikhi. the main reason i give my origins respect r the following reasons;

*my gurus walked that ground, we have history there reguarding gurdwarai etc.

*the amount sikhs sacrificed for that country eg fighting for freedom from the british empire.

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

Guest BikramjitSingh

I agree with kaur @ gurus feet

The reasons that I respect the culture and the land of Punjab is-;

1. It is where the great events in the lives of our Guru's occurred. There isn't a place in either East or West Punjab which is not linked in some way to either the Gurus, the Gursikhs or the Shaheeds. Punjab is so full of Sikh history.

2. We are fortunate that as well as a clearly defined area such as Punjab we also have a language and script which is in many ways unique to our Punjab. Look at the millions of Hindus ( Sanskrit ) , Christians ( Aramaic/ Hebrew/ Greek ), Muslims ( Arabic ), perhaps less than 5 % of them speak a language in which their scriptures are written. In the case of Christians only a few thousands can speak the language ( Aramaic ) which Jesus spoke and taught in. In the case of Sikhs in is over 95 % that can speak or understand Punjabi. Look at how fortunate we are. We do not need to worship or pray in a language that is not our mother tongue. We do not need to look at a far away alien place or country to find the roots of our religion. Our religion belongs to Punjab just as Punjab belongs to Sikhi.

once a sola asked me 2 convert 2 a muslim and i said no he asked why

and my answer was

i was born a sikh

i am a sikh

i will die a sikh

and i'm proud to be sikh

ans some one turned around and said i thought sikh's is just another way to say you'r punjabi and i said no simply becasue the panjabi cultuar has been taken over by boo'z, meat and so on

i have taken chola and when people say why i say simple becuase i'm not ready to have amrit but i don't wanna turn out like pinjabi's and be drinking and eating eat and if this is the way to do so than so be it.

punjab is the area where sikhi grew...

i suppose there may be a reference here and there to places in punjab...dno about netin specific to punjabi...

but jatt_kuri one thing that i rate you for is your determind in your belief...

but dont ruin the effect you created by calling the muslim a sullah....or even giving yourself the names jatt_kuri...which is against sikh thought and belief since we dont recognise caste!

rated!! u changed it!!

c ppl we need more of us like dat!!

is dat east london??? cz sum muslims really messed up!!

stay strong!! n if dey keep hasslin u...u knw where 2 kick them!! :wink:

lol sipahi missions!! neway jus wanted 2 say respeckkkkk!!!!

lol admin bhaaji sullah is like an offensive way of callin muslims...

lol the punjabi boli down london jus wikid!! lol....

actually how many different words do punjabis have 4 them!!

it aint niice....even da lil kids say dem!!

lol my little 9 yr old cousin went round to all the muslims in his school calling them thondeh(another offensive word). it didnt really get him far since the headteacher was a muslim....

wow ur 9 yr old cuzin did that,

me anit from london me from leicester een though i'd love to be from london. macuzin's iz from hanslow london n slough

but leicester is just like london wen it cums to muslims no one likes them!